ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

IHR

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
drumatics
Posts: 11
Joined: 26 Feb 2009, 14:16
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by drumatics »

Hi there, can someone please help me out here.
I have just went back on the sick with severe anxiety and depression the 2nd episode this year! the 1st was in January,i have also had 2 other abscences due to my condition but this time which I have discussed at length with my wife and father ( who worked for Royal Mail for 38 years ) that it would be the safest thing for me to do would be to be medically retired as I cannot mentally, psychologically or physically go back now. It is all I think about my hair has started falling out i have skin problems due to the stress and worry also my libido has disappeared because all of the problems i have faced at work over theses absences.
I have worked for the company for just under 20 years but if I don’t leave now and carry on the way the environment that is in my office and in the majority of offices it’s going to lead me down a path won’t be able to return from, and I cannot afford to bring my troubles from work back home to my wife and 10 year old son!
I have had thoughts about just ending my life which is not at all where i want to be!
Can someone help me with-any documents that will help
me and also what to say when I speak to my DOM in next couple of days.
Thanks in advance.
PistolPete
Posts: 29
Joined: 07 Feb 2015, 16:03
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by PistolPete »

drumatics wrote:Hi there, can someone please help me out here.
I have just went back on the sick with severe anxiety and depression the 2nd episode this year! the 1st was in January,i have also had 2 other abscences due to my condition but this time which I have discussed at length with my wife and father ( who worked for Royal Mail for 38 years ) that it would be the safest thing for me to do would be to be medically retired as I cannot mentally, psychologically or physically go back now. It is all I think about my hair has started falling out i have skin problems due to the stress and worry also my libido has disappeared because all of the problems i have faced at work over theses absences.
I have worked for the company for just under 20 years but if I don’t leave now and carry on the way the environment that is in my office and in the majority of offices it’s going to lead me down a path won’t be able to return from, and I cannot afford to bring my troubles from work back home to my wife and 10 year old son!
I have had thoughts about just ending my life which is not at all where i want to be!
Can someone help me with-any documents that will help
me and also what to say when I speak to my DOM in next couple of days.
Thanks in advance.
Try here

https://www.rmgfirstclasssupport.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by hothothot »

Get your GP to recommend that you are not capable of working for royal mail because of your condition , that will help with oh assist and ihr. I myself have just taken ihr because of my mental health condition and back problems. Speak to fist class support. Don't just suffer get councilling it does help , I know what your going through my friend I've been there myself . Talk to people don't bottle it up. You will get better. I have never felt so good after leaving RM. Good luck mate.
Work2rule
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Mar 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by Work2rule »

This may help
https://www.gov.uk/when-mental-health-c ... disability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I myself took IHR last year but it was a battle, initially I had asked for a reasonable reduction in duty under the equality act as my illness was classed as a disability. The DOM dragged his feet in taking action, my health deteriorated until I went long term sick. Had a meeting with the DOM and we both agreed IHR was the best option. However, I kept getting fobbed off being told HR hadn’t finalised it.
Luckily I had kept a diary of all the times I had been discriminated against by managers.
I put in a four page grievance cross referencing Royal Mail procedural breaches and breaches of the equality act.
I asked for a reasonable reduction of duty January, went sick in June and got retired in October, but only after the grievance was put in ( 10 months of battling, hit them with a grievance, 2 weeks later I’m gone with money in the bank)

I got the feeling they were waiting for me to resign without paying me off.

Keep a diary of everything they say or do. Any negative language regarding your condition, comparing you to other employees, questioning the validity of your illness etc are all classed as discrimination.

Although RM managers think they are above the law they are not.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by rehabron »

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... hp?id=1037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The above link is the IHR agreement that will be of assistance.
RM are very reluctant to grant IHR until it's absolutely necessary nowadays and all the boxes have been ticked before finalisation which requires HR approval.
To assist you on this journey you will be required to produce GP and specialist reports that your condition shows that you are unable to perform any of the duties that RM require of you including re-deployment.
That your condition could result in long term absence and a phased or rehabilitation plan would not succeed and it would be financially benefit to the business to endorse an IHR.
The " First Class Support" would benefit you in getting things off your chest and hopefully reduce your anxieties but would not assist you in getting IHR as this is totally strictly confidential and therefore would not give any hint by documents to support your claim for IHR.
All the best and where possible would like to hear the outcome.
David walters
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 44
Joined: 17 Jan 2017, 19:22
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by David walters »

Yep I no what u go througth kp strong .go to your go and get medication.get oh assist involed and ask them to recommend you for I’ll health .get your area rep to get the dom to recommend you for I’ll heAlth 2 stay on sick and they got to rec I’ll health after 9 months
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

IHR

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Sorry to hear you're suffering. Please don't suffer in Silence. Plenty of good advice on here. My wife suffered from Anxiety & depression so I do know how debilitating it can be. For me the Irony of this type of situation was that Royal Mail were getting all PR about how they were supporting Mental Health Charities while at the same time ignoring this ever growing problem within their own workplaces. :arrrghhh

Most of our Managers are totally incaple of sorting out a weekly duty roster so how the hell can they be expected to deal with something as important as a persons mental heath? This job may not be the most difficult in the world, and is basically just putting letters through letterboxes, but how come we have increasing numbers of staff going down with mental heath problems? Could it be something to do with the Top Down Bullying style of Management? I hope you are able to resolve this problem to your satisfication. Good Luck Mate. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)