ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by gunho »

Don’t want to drive RM van anymore as it’s not worth the hassle. Now been warned you might have to move office, where do I stand on this issue
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by Seymour Buts »

Driving is a reasonable request; you're also putting upon other people potentially paired with you simply because you can't be bothered anymore.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by picture123 »

That’s like a bus driver not wanting to drive? It’s your job, don’t like it? Get a new one.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by Seymour Buts »

Correct. Personally I'd send you home for refusing to undertake your duty. There's a couple in our office who can't drive simply because it wasn't required when they started and they can't, no issue with that. You're different though.
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by gunho »

When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by Seymour Buts »

That's what all have to put up with, it's part of the job!
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by citypostie »

Just forget to take your licence in to be checked when they ask, if the do the job right you won't be able to drive until they've checked it. Checks are supposed to be done every 6 months or 12 can't remember. If your partner can drive he can swop onto the easier loops and you do his. If he can't drive you will probably be moved off the duty for someone who can. You won't be able to moan though because it would be your choice
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by Jpro747 »

gunho wrote:When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
Not your fault if you do your van checks and abide the highway code.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

Driving

Post by azza30 »

Well, you could ask nicely, otherwise, start doing the job properly as has been stated on these forums many times, cut off bring stuff back. As the driver it's your call. I was employed as with driving but they haven't even put me through RM driving test thing coz they know i'll bring stuff back.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Driving

Post by Yamr1 »

People in the business long time ago contracts are postman so don't need to drive , new contracts over the last few years are postman/driver ...
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by themailman »

Jpro747 wrote:
gunho wrote:When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
Not your fault if you do your van checks and abide the highway code.
If it's anything like my office then I can empathise with the OP.

Driving for up to 1hr each day whilst the passenger gets a rest between delivery points/journey to and from office.
Less chance of getting a day off if you are a driver - that is a fact due to operational needs.
High chance of your duty not getting prepped if you are doing it but then are tasked with delivering a 9am SD, often with very little notice.
Getting moved duty at short notice if someone goes sick if both people on a duty drive.
And I know that we are all responsible for van checks and obeying the Highway code, but mistakes can happen and RM will throw you under a bus in a minute.
Driver in an office for 20 years gets the exact same wage as a non driving member of staff that has been in the job the same or less time - i.e. no financial benefit.

And before anyone says it, I KNOW many of these issues are caused by bad management, but bad management is endemic within RM, so it's little wonder those people who currently drive, yet don't have to contractually think about jacking it in.
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Driving

Post by Post12345 »

azza30 wrote:Well, you could ask nicely, otherwise, start doing the job properly as has been stated on these forums many times, cut off bring stuff back. As the driver it's your call. I was employed as with driving but they haven't even put me through RM driving test thing coz they know i'll bring stuff back.
Aaaaah I see now.. I had wondered why I am a year in and still not got to the top of the list with my driving test..... I said on day 1 I would never work past my time because I have to pick up my kids and now it all makes sense! They must have put 10 new starters after me through it.... penny has dropped... thanks so much for that x
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Driving

Post by Justanotherstar »

Get a driving ban...Boom, no more driving for RM.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Driving

Post by arnold cheshire »

Justanotherstar wrote:Get a driving ban...Boom, no more driving for RM.
And no more driving for yourself super contributor
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Driving

Post by clashcityrocker »

Justanotherstar wrote:Get a driving ban...Boom, no more driving for RM.
And still face the possibility of being sent to another office.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.