ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working hour expectations.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Hello Everybody,

Just been given a start date recently and have found this forum both supportive and informative so would firstly like to say thank you to you all.

This is my first post and was hoping someone could give me a rough idea what to expect. Granted, I understand each office is different.

I am on a 30 hour contract. 8-2. Now having read a lot of comments on here I know a lot of people struggle to complete the requirements for the day.

As I live only 5 mins away I would have bo problem starting an hour early to help finish on time as long as the manager would allow me to do so. Is this common? And is it beneficial?

Many thanks
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by number one »

For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Thanks for replying.

With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by number one »

Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Thanks for replying.

With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

number one wrote:
Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Thanks for replying.

With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.
That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by hothothot »

Stick to your guns right from the very start. Tell them you cannot work past 2 pm and Don't go over. if they ask to go in early make sure you get paid for it , do not work for free. Join the union. Good luck.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

hothothot wrote:Stick to your guns right from the very start. Tell them you cannot work past 2 pm and Don't go over. if they ask to go in early make sure you get paid for it , do not work for free. Join the union. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. The union worthwhile? I was in the RMY with my previspu job and they were good.
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Rumple »

Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Thanks for replying.

With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.
That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.
Does your contract state 8-2?
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Rumple wrote:
Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:
Pheonix1 wrote:
number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
Thanks for replying.

With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.
That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.
Does your contract state 8-2?
I haven’t had my contract yet. The advert and interviewer said it was 8-2.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by picture123 »

Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?

So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
Walking boots
Posts: 26
Joined: 12 May 2017, 21:30
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Walking boots »

I’m on a 28 hour contract, the hours I work are very different to what was advertised and told they would be, my start times are later, in my office the management seem to prefer overtime to happen at the end of the shift rather than the start.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by picture123 »

Pheonix1 wrote:
picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?

So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
Office finish times change. With later acceptance time and later starts and finishes in the pipeline it won’t be long before nobody is working the hours advertised when they applied. To be honest the expectation for overtime and flexibility should have been discussed at interview. If you’re paired with a full timer or someone else is due to prep your walk coming in early won’t get you out any earlier.
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

Walking boots wrote:I’m on a 28 hour contract, the hours I work are very different to what was advertised and told they would be, my start times are later, in my office the management seem to prefer overtime to happen at the end of the shift rather than the start.
Cool, so similar hours to me. What time do you usually start?

I see, why do they prefer that?
Pheonix1
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
Gender: Male

Working hour expectations.

Post by Pheonix1 »

picture123 wrote:
Pheonix1 wrote:
picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?

So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
Office finish times change. With later acceptance time and later starts and finishes in the pipeline it won’t be long before nobody is working the hours advertised when they applied. To be honest the expectation for overtime and flexibility should have been discussed at interview. If you’re paired with a full timer or someone else is due to prep your walk coming in early won’t get you out any earlier.
Right, yeh overtime was mentioned and was told there was plenty available.

It all sounds very confusing to be honest. So is it unreasonable of me to finish at 2pm the majority of the days, whilst doing overtime if needed.

Thanks for the reply.