ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driving
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Driving
Correct. Personally I'd send you home for refusing to undertake your duty. There's a couple in our office who can't drive simply because it wasn't required when they started and they can't, no issue with that. You're different though.
-
gunho
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
- Gender: Male
Driving
When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Driving
Just forget to take your licence in to be checked when they ask, if the do the job right you won't be able to drive until they've checked it. Checks are supposed to be done every 6 months or 12 can't remember. If your partner can drive he can swop onto the easier loops and you do his. If he can't drive you will probably be moved off the duty for someone who can. You won't be able to moan though because it would be your choice
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Driving
Not your fault if you do your van checks and abide the highway code.gunho wrote:When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Driving
Well, you could ask nicely, otherwise, start doing the job properly as has been stated on these forums many times, cut off bring stuff back. As the driver it's your call. I was employed as with driving but they haven't even put me through RM driving test thing coz they know i'll bring stuff back.
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Driving
If it's anything like my office then I can empathise with the OP.Jpro747 wrote:Not your fault if you do your van checks and abide the highway code.gunho wrote:When I started in RM we were all on bikes. I cycle to work every day and leave the car at home, driving was not a requirement. Handbrake failures, your fault, parking ticket, your fault, bald tyres, your fault, dirty van Your fault driving RM van, no thanks
Driving for up to 1hr each day whilst the passenger gets a rest between delivery points/journey to and from office.
Less chance of getting a day off if you are a driver - that is a fact due to operational needs.
High chance of your duty not getting prepped if you are doing it but then are tasked with delivering a 9am SD, often with very little notice.
Getting moved duty at short notice if someone goes sick if both people on a duty drive.
And I know that we are all responsible for van checks and obeying the Highway code, but mistakes can happen and RM will throw you under a bus in a minute.
Driver in an office for 20 years gets the exact same wage as a non driving member of staff that has been in the job the same or less time - i.e. no financial benefit.
And before anyone says it, I KNOW many of these issues are caused by bad management, but bad management is endemic within RM, so it's little wonder those people who currently drive, yet don't have to contractually think about jacking it in.
-
Post12345
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
- Gender: Female
Driving
Aaaaah I see now.. I had wondered why I am a year in and still not got to the top of the list with my driving test..... I said on day 1 I would never work past my time because I have to pick up my kids and now it all makes sense! They must have put 10 new starters after me through it.... penny has dropped... thanks so much for that xazza30 wrote:Well, you could ask nicely, otherwise, start doing the job properly as has been stated on these forums many times, cut off bring stuff back. As the driver it's your call. I was employed as with driving but they haven't even put me through RM driving test thing coz they know i'll bring stuff back.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Driving
And still face the possibility of being sent to another office.Justanotherstar wrote:Get a driving ban...Boom, no more driving for RM.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.