Somebody is due to move onto a different walk, leaving theirs open. Can it be 'set aside' for a new start coming in or should it be open to anyone?
Also know that if I was to ask about it the response would be along the lines of 'you know too many other jobs' so curious to know where I stand with that from anyone in the know.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Walk allocation.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Walk allocation.
In our DO a notice would be put on the notice board with a cut off date. Anyone in the office who wanted to sign for that walk would write their name down. After the cut off date had ended the postie on the notice with the highest seniority would sign for the walk.Dayman! wrote:Somebody is due to move onto a different walk, leaving theirs open. Can it be 'set aside' for a new start coming in or should it be open to anyone?
Also know that if I was to ask about it the response would be along the lines of 'you know too many other jobs' so curious to know where I stand with that from anyone in the know.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Walk allocation.
If it is a suitable job then it could be left as a new starter training walk, in my old office there was a part time HCT walk that was used like thatDayman! wrote:Somebody is due to move onto a different walk, leaving theirs open. Can it be 'set aside' for a new start coming in or should it be open to anyone?
Also know that if I was to ask about it the response would be along the lines of 'you know too many other jobs' so curious to know where I stand with that from anyone in the know.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Walk allocation.
Someone should be able to sign for it, at the very least to be sure of the rotational day off (or whatever structure is applicable to the office)
It could however be signed for on the understanding that it is going to be used as a training walk for the time being.
We have a very nasty (heavy) lapsing duty which should soon be put up for someone to sign for. At best the duty holder will only be doing it 2 or 3 days a week BUT speaking as a reserve who is constantly shafted, I'd happily sign for it so I know when my days off will be
It could however be signed for on the understanding that it is going to be used as a training walk for the time being.
We have a very nasty (heavy) lapsing duty which should soon be put up for someone to sign for. At best the duty holder will only be doing it 2 or 3 days a week BUT speaking as a reserve who is constantly shafted, I'd happily sign for it so I know when my days off will be
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Walk allocation.
We've got a training walk, previously literally the most senior person's in the office (medically retired) which is an absolute doddle. Didn't go down too well with a number of the old timers who had clearly had their eye on it!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Walk allocation.
It should be advertised and the most senior applicant should get it (regardless of how many other duties they can do). However, it could be argued that a training duty is needed, and the person who gets it can be taken off every time there's a new starter.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Walk allocation.
I thought it went to a reserve for 6 months before being advertised to avoid a domino effect of people changing duties.
Only if 5% of the office duties were vacant would they all be put up for re-signing.
Only if 5% of the office duties were vacant would they all be put up for re-signing.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 516
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Walk allocation.
We’ve never had a Re sign in our office because Dom doesn’t want one! I have asked countless times because newbies andclashcityrocker wrote:I thought it went to a reserve for 6 months before being advertised to avoid a domino effect of people changing duties.
Only if 5% of the office duties were vacant would they all be put up for re-signing.
People with less service than me have own walk yet I keep changing I’ve asked union and they just say it’s up to Dom so,seniority doesn’t exist anymore
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Walk allocation.
DO usually have a full resign after walks have been dramatically changed. I think there is a percentage change figure but I can't remember it. DOMs and RM don't like resigns because it causes upset and distress and arguments among the workforce when Postie's get moved to other walks and they don't want to move. Resigns are more a union thing so I would suggest having a conversation with your union rep. There are rules about when a resign should happen that are agreed between the RM & the CWU. It isn't really up to the DOM so if something has changed in your DO that means a resign has to take place your DOM cannot stop it happening indefinitely.matthew68 wrote:We’ve never had a Re sign in our office because Dom doesn’t want one! I have asked countless times because newbies andclashcityrocker wrote:I thought it went to a reserve for 6 months before being advertised to avoid a domino effect of people changing duties.
Only if 5% of the office duties were vacant would they all be put up for re-signing.
People with less service than me have own walk yet I keep changing I’ve asked union and they just say it’s up to Dom so,seniority doesn’t exist anymore
PS The seniority system does still exist and is used to determine the order of choosing walks in resigns. It is also still used in some DO to work out AL allocation.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.