ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Working hour expectations.
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Hello Everybody,
Just been given a start date recently and have found this forum both supportive and informative so would firstly like to say thank you to you all.
This is my first post and was hoping someone could give me a rough idea what to expect. Granted, I understand each office is different.
I am on a 30 hour contract. 8-2. Now having read a lot of comments on here I know a lot of people struggle to complete the requirements for the day.
As I live only 5 mins away I would have bo problem starting an hour early to help finish on time as long as the manager would allow me to do so. Is this common? And is it beneficial?
Many thanks
Just been given a start date recently and have found this forum both supportive and informative so would firstly like to say thank you to you all.
This is my first post and was hoping someone could give me a rough idea what to expect. Granted, I understand each office is different.
I am on a 30 hour contract. 8-2. Now having read a lot of comments on here I know a lot of people struggle to complete the requirements for the day.
As I live only 5 mins away I would have bo problem starting an hour early to help finish on time as long as the manager would allow me to do so. Is this common? And is it beneficial?
Many thanks
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Thanks for replying.number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.Pheonix1 wrote:Thanks for replying.number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.number one wrote:Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.Pheonix1 wrote:Thanks for replying.number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Stick to your guns right from the very start. Tell them you cannot work past 2 pm and Don't go over. if they ask to go in early make sure you get paid for it , do not work for free. Join the union. Good luck.
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Thanks for the advice. The union worthwhile? I was in the RMY with my previspu job and they were good.hothothot wrote:Stick to your guns right from the very start. Tell them you cannot work past 2 pm and Don't go over. if they ask to go in early make sure you get paid for it , do not work for free. Join the union. Good luck.
-
Rumple
- Posts: 429
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Does your contract state 8-2?Pheonix1 wrote:That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.number one wrote:Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.Pheonix1 wrote:Thanks for replying.number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
I haven’t had my contract yet. The advert and interviewer said it was 8-2.Rumple wrote:Does your contract state 8-2?Pheonix1 wrote:That’s good then. I am happy to come in early if paid. As I need to finish at 2 everyday I thought this would help me actually finish on time.number one wrote:Your DOM (delivery officer manager) will try and get you to work for free. Being paid to come in early is fine, just don’t think you have to come in early to try and finish all your work. If you go past your time you simply just book overtime at the end of your duty.Pheonix1 wrote:Thanks for replying.number one wrote:For pay or no pay? Just remember NEVER EVER work for free.
With pay. Is that something that is welcome, or does that depend on the office?
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
-
Walking boots
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 12 May 2017, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
I’m on a 28 hour contract, the hours I work are very different to what was advertised and told they would be, my start times are later, in my office the management seem to prefer overtime to happen at the end of the shift rather than the start.
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Office finish times change. With later acceptance time and later starts and finishes in the pipeline it won’t be long before nobody is working the hours advertised when they applied. To be honest the expectation for overtime and flexibility should have been discussed at interview. If you’re paired with a full timer or someone else is due to prep your walk coming in early won’t get you out any earlier.Pheonix1 wrote:Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Cool, so similar hours to me. What time do you usually start?Walking boots wrote:I’m on a 28 hour contract, the hours I work are very different to what was advertised and told they would be, my start times are later, in my office the management seem to prefer overtime to happen at the end of the shift rather than the start.
I see, why do they prefer that?
-
Pheonix1
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Working hour expectations.
Right, yeh overtime was mentioned and was told there was plenty available.picture123 wrote:Office finish times change. With later acceptance time and later starts and finishes in the pipeline it won’t be long before nobody is working the hours advertised when they applied. To be honest the expectation for overtime and flexibility should have been discussed at interview. If you’re paired with a full timer or someone else is due to prep your walk coming in early won’t get you out any earlier.Pheonix1 wrote:Ok, so I’m just guessing 8am is the usual start time for someone who is not full time?picture123 wrote:Your contract won’t have a start/ finish time and it will say Royal Mail expect a reasonable amount of overtime in order to fulfill their USO obligation. I.e. staying out past your scheduled finish time on occasions to get all the mail delivered.
So what happens to the people who need to leave at the time advertised as the finishing time who can’t do overtime on a regular basis. Not saying that I can’t do overtime. I’m more than happy to come in early everyday and one day a week late if I don’t complete my deliveries.
It all sounds very confusing to be honest. So is it unreasonable of me to finish at 2pm the majority of the days, whilst doing overtime if needed.
Thanks for the reply.