ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

July / August Letter Volumes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RMG4Life
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 21:01
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by RMG4Life »

Has anyone seen letter volumes improve from June and impact of GDPR?
Or do volumes still remain quite low / or getting even worse?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Celgar »

RMG4Life wrote:Has anyone seen letter volumes improve from June and impact of GDPR?
Or do volumes still remain quite low / or getting even worse?
There was a span of about two weeks in June when the volume of mail dropped through the floor but it recovered afterwards. I haven't heard an explanation as to why the mail dropped off then.
The mail volumes always drop in the summer - July & August - and RM always make a big song and dance about it but it's not new news. It's sort of like cars driving past Stonehenge on the A303 - those stones have been there about 5000 years but you would think they were erected last year!
I have a feeling, or maybe I'm just hoping, that the GDPR hasn't affected the amount of marketing mail being posted. We will have a much better idea next week when the summer absorption stops and the mountain of mail starts to flow.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by wacko74 »

Don't know whether it was just coincidence but the 2 weeks after GDPR came in the letters volumes were very light, but since then I'd say it's been back up to typical summer levels.

Pkts on the other hand, all summer have been not far short of what would be considered xmas volumes only 3 or 4 years ago.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Other than them two weeks. I would say it's been the busiest summer for mail for the 4 years I've been here. I didn't see much of a drop off from winter.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Celgar »

Our DOM said the other day that RM figures are saying the mail volumes this summer are half of last year's summer volumes. The trouble with RM figures is that they are going to be averages so some walks or areas of the UK will have more or less mail than others. But then RM want to hit everyone with the same amount of extra work/lapsing/absorption which means some posties may already have too much to do and are expected to more on top.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by rambo1 »

Celgar wrote:Our DOM said the other day that RM figures are saying the mail volumes this summer are half of last year's summer volumes. The trouble with RM figures is that they are going to be averages so some walks or areas of the UK will have more or less mail than others. But then RM want to hit everyone with the same amount of extra work/lapsing/absorption which means some posties may already have too much to do and are expected to more on top.
Half? Really? If that gets reported it ain't gonna do much for the share price!!
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Grinder64 »

Celgar wrote:Our DOM said the other day that RM figures are saying the mail volumes this summer are half of last year's summer volumes.
;liar
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Seymour Buts »

Have to say I've never known it this quiet in my four years here. Summer has always dropped off, this year however it's been crazy. They have finally stopped job and finish at our place; been very difficult at times to stretch out our duties! After wtl, breaks and lapsing this morning we didn't start posting till 10:40, we still ended up sand bagging it to stretch out the time.

That said, the next two days is gonna be crap I reckon.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by number one »

It’s been so easy in my office this summer, I start on time, take my full break, do my lapsing and still finish at 11:00 most days. Gives me plenty of time to do my overtime and I’m still home for 12:30-13:00
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by NewPostieUK »

It's been the busiest summer in all my 11 years. I was expecting a big difference when the schools finished, but nothing, still fairly busy. I've finished early (19 - 20 mins) twice all summer, both Tuesdays. I usually just take my lapsing Mondays and Tuesdays.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by scoobydo79 »

number one wrote:It’s been so easy in my office this summer, I start on time, take my full break, do my lapsing and still finish at 11:00 most days. Gives me plenty of time to do my overtime and I’m still home for 12:30-13:00
FFS I’ve e done one of My 5 loops by 11.00 am most days
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Chelseablue »

Finished at 11 most days ,,, shakes my head
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by Chelseablue »

And your username on here is ,, number one Well done youre a star
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by number one »

Chelseablue wrote:And your username on here is ,, number one Well done youre a star
Whats wrong with that? Most of my office is finished between 11:00-12:00.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2056
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

July / August Letter Volumes

Post by scoobydo79 »

number one wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:And your username on here is ,, number one Well done youre a star
Whats wrong with that? Most of my office is finished between 11:00-12:00.
Well I hope that’s all Your being paid to