ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Need time off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by MinTee »

My house was vandalised last night, stones thrown through window. Being Bank Holiday I’m still sat here waiting for someone to replace the window. I’ll be looking at tomorrow for the guy (provided they don’t reschedule again).
I need to stay at home mainly because I don’t feel comfortable leaving it unattended the way it is.

I know management will give me grief. Anyone know if the day will be paid or not?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Seymour Buts »

Is it just tomorrow? Just phone in sick, say you've got a stomach bug or whatever.

Sorry to hear about your house being damaged.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by MinTee »

Yeah hopefully it is just the 1 day. They were supposed to come today as an emergency out of hours appointment but it fell through
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by aiden01 »

MinTee wrote:Yeah hopefully it is just the 1 day. They were supposed to come today as an emergency out of hours appointment but it fell through
Check out domestic leave policy in rm. should get at least unpaid leave or hopefully use an annual days leave. not worth going sick.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Glp28357 »

[quote="postietom"]Is it just tomorrow? Just phone in sick, say you've got a stomach bug or whatever.

Why not just be honest and tell the truth?
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Mobey »

I'm sure special leave would cover this.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I would just ring up and be honest. Me personally I wouldn't but you could swap your day off.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Mobey »

Just dug this out, found it on here!

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Tim ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps you and some others! :thumbup
Domestic

Urgent domestic: There may be times when you need time off to deal with emergencies at home, e.g.
your house is flooded or you’ve been burgled. Your manager can usually give you one day’s paid leave (this
can be up to three days in exceptional circumstances.)*

Domestic events: On occasions when you need to be at home for some maintenance for example, or for
a delivery, you should speak to your manager as soon as possible to make suitable arrangements. Options
include taking holiday or unpaid leave, swapping shifts or making the time up.
*Additional days may be covered by holiday or unpaid leave.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by rehabron »

Mobey wrote:Just dug this out, found it on here!

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Tim ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps you and some others! :thumbup
Domestic

Urgent domestic: There may be times when you need time off to deal with emergencies at home, e.g.
your house is flooded or you’ve been burgled. Your manager can usually give you one day’s paid leave (this
can be up to three days in exceptional circumstances.)*

Domestic events: On occasions when you need to be at home for some maintenance for example, or for
a delivery, you should speak to your manager as soon as possible to make suitable arrangements. Options
include taking holiday or unpaid leave, swapping shifts or making the time up.
*Additional days may be covered by holiday or unpaid leave.

Mobeys posting is an extract from the " Other Time Off " managers booklet that replaced the old Special Leave and in the circumstances which you have described this should at least be 1 day off paid.
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

Need time off

Post by fed_up_postie »

Don't get your hopes up of having a day off with pay!!! I had to take a day off to look after my daughter as she was really poorly and had been up all night with a stomach bug and I was docked a days pay!!!! Fought as much as I could to get the pay back but never did get it back!!! I remember RM being a family friendly company but not anymore!!
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by bmccoll »

fed_up_postie wrote: I remember RM being a family friendly company but not anymore!!
I've been here over 30 years and don't recall RM ever being family friendly! I was flooded out... be in the day after tomorrow... the wife had a baby, three days and be back at work... father's died, 3 days for the funeral, 5 if you are arranging it. And remember we were all on 6 days back then.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Mobey »

Did you get it sorted mate?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by Postie45 »

if refused AL for something like this, then maybe the stress from it all would be able to get you a doctors note ? just a thought....
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by MinTee »

Yeah I managed to get it off. Lino told me it wasn’t being paid. But I asked union rep about it and he said to ask DOM about it, funnily enough DOM wandered round the corner so I asked. Told me he had gone through as special leave in front of my rep, so if it doesn’t show come pay day at least I’ve got a witness.

As for the house, nothing was stolen, just vandalised and the company came out to fix it Tuesday morning. Not too bad considering it was bank holiday I guess.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Need time off

Post by picture123 »

MinTee wrote:Yeah I managed to get it off. Lino told me it wasn’t being paid. But I asked union rep about it and he said to ask DOM about it, funnily enough DOM wandered round the corner so I asked. Told me he had gone through as special leave in front of my rep, so if it doesn’t show come pay day at least I’ve got a witness.

As for the house, nothing was stolen, just vandalised and the company came out to fix it Tuesday morning. Not too bad considering it was bank holiday I guess.
Special leave can be paid or unpaid