ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime less than basic rate

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

Can anyone shed any light on why we get paid less for doing overtime than our basic rate.My basic hourly rate works out rouughly £13.81 per hour including door to door payment and £13.16 without yet my SA rate is about £11.71 per hour whilst first 10 hours rate about £11.49.I worked my rest day yesterday SA and will receive approx £79 for it whilst I would have received approx £102 If it was my normal day. Can't believe we are doing overtime for less than the basic rate.
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Rumple »

Backdoorbaker wrote:Can anyone shed any light on why we get paid less for doing overtime than our basic rate.My basic hourly rate works out rouughly £13.81 per hour including door to door payment and £13.16 without yet my SA rate is about £11.71 per hour whilst first 10 hours rate about £11.49.I worked my rest day yesterday SA and will receive approx £79 for it whilst I would have received approx £102 If it was my normal day. Can't believe we are doing overtime for less than the basic rate.
£13.81 p/h basic rate (inc. d2d payment)?
Your top line for 39 hours would be £538.59.
Are you sure?
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

Yes mate
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by number one »

Delivery supplement payment and any other allowances you got aren’t your hourly rate.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by clashcityrocker »

Our basic rate is £11.10.
Either his maths is wonky or he has London weighting which doesn't appear as a separate supplement.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

All I did was divide my basic pay by 39.that gives you 13.16 and if you include door to door payment it's 13.81.That's what we get.Maths is spot on it's just needing an answer on how that basic rate is made up which could give the answer as to why it appears to be more than the overtime rate SA or 1st10.
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

I suspect it does include the london waiting but it still doesn't seem right that i worked my SA rest day and got £23 less than a normal days wage based on my basic.one of the reasons is that we don't get paid our meal relief on SA rest day so you actually get more money signing for something on the wall with paid meal relief.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by clashcityrocker »

You are basing your "basic" on a mythical hourly rate.
That isn't your basic hourly rate it is your basic hourly rate plus your London weighting.
You don't get the London weighting twice.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

It still doesn't alter the fact that I worked alongside my colleagues on their normal pay yesterday whilst I was on overtime doing the same job but getting £23 less. Remember their basic pay on our wage slip is the same as mine.I know what you are saying about London waiting but that is paid at an hourly rate for us based on a 39 hour week so if I do an extra day I should get the allowance for that day so I'm not getting it paid twice.If I have an unpaid day I would lose that days London waiting so on that basis if I worked an extra day I should be paid that rate.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by number one »

Backdoorbaker wrote:It still doesn't alter the fact that I worked alongside my colleagues on their normal pay yesterday whilst I was on overtime doing the same job but getting £23 less. Remember their basic pay on our wage slip is the same as mine.I know what you are saying about London waiting but that is paid at an hourly rate for us based on a 39 hour week so if I do an extra day I should get the allowance for that day so I'm not getting it paid twice.If I have an unpaid day I would lose that days London waiting so on that basis if I worked an extra day I should be paid that rate.
London weighting is paid on basic hours only
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by clashcityrocker »

Backdoorbaker wrote:It still doesn't alter the fact that I worked alongside my colleagues on their normal pay yesterday whilst I was on overtime doing the same job but getting £23 less. Remember their basic pay on our wage slip is the same as mine.I know what you are saying about London waiting but that is paid at an hourly rate for us based on a 39 hour week so if I do an extra day I should get the allowance for that day so I'm not getting it paid twice.If I have an unpaid day I would lose that days London waiting so on that basis if I worked an extra day I should be paid that rate.
None of that post makes any sense to me.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by rambo1 »

Simple. Don't work yer day off. Then you won't feel cheated and might enjoy a life outside work and maybe even live longer.
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

It's on the agenda mate don't worry
Backdoorbaker
Posts: 14
Joined: 10 May 2016, 14:24
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by Backdoorbaker »

Unfortunately it's the only bit of O/T I do as I'm unable to do any more due to health issues. I used to do 25/30 hours per week mate but at 58 and falling apart gradually it's on my radar to give it up as you know you get used to the money fella. Ps it's not about me anyway it's about royal mail not paying what they should do and as I won my previous argument with them which has benefited many then I thought it was worth a query.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Overtime less than basic rate

Post by wacko74 »

I come out with £35 extra for working my day off (6 hours) which is bad enough as it is... but if you consider the £4 travelling cost and 40 minute commute time it's closer to £30 for a 7 hour day!!

Or less than £4.30 per hour!!

Won't be doing it again.