ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Absorption Guidelines
-
england19661882
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 02 Jun 2017, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
I was told 2018 SUMMER absorption ended after week 22 (next week). Now I'm told a further 6 weeks have been added and it doesn't end till after week 28. Is this correct? Are there guidelines/rules available on absorption?
Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance
Last edited by england19661882 on 20 Aug 2018, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
The rules are simple , if you have time to do it then fine if you don’t have time to do it that is also fine .you have a start and finish time , Royal Mail can make all the absorption plans they like .
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
they will try it every week of the year if they cook the books and say traffic is down
what gets me is that traffic "may" be the same as the same period last year when lapsing could be achieved, but we are also quite a few FT bodies down in our d/o on last year due to leavers been replaced by PT staff and early overtime is also cut to a bare minimum thus making us later out on delivery, that doesn't count according to them though, then the following conversations is heard
pair 1- " i'll take lapsing but i'll be 30 mins over today" lino- "that's fine"
pair 2- " i'm not taking lapsing today, not enough time" lino- "yes you are, traffic is down, you're not working efficiently"
what gets me is that traffic "may" be the same as the same period last year when lapsing could be achieved, but we are also quite a few FT bodies down in our d/o on last year due to leavers been replaced by PT staff and early overtime is also cut to a bare minimum thus making us later out on delivery, that doesn't count according to them though, then the following conversations is heard
pair 1- " i'll take lapsing but i'll be 30 mins over today" lino- "that's fine"
pair 2- " i'm not taking lapsing today, not enough time" lino- "yes you are, traffic is down, you're not working efficiently"
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
The only time we don't do absorption is nov-dec.
In summer is 3 walks. The rest of the year it's 1 or 2.
In summer is 3 walks. The rest of the year it's 1 or 2.
-
ScottR
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 17:56
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Absorption Guidelines
Awkward on a van share where I know there won't be any time but the arse licking partner I'm on with is like oh yeah we'll take it no worries boss, then we are over 20-30 minutes...
as long as I'm paid I'm not too fussed but I'm not a fan of drive over to the split then back as well.
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4197
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
No guidelines on absorption at all. Its supposed to be a Summer thing but for a lot of offices its also an Autumn and Winter thing. Basically its what an office or section can get away with. The CWU will just say follow the over-running procedure if you wish to cut off. The procedure which is heavily reliant on bogus mail traffic figures when as someone mentioned there are fewer full-time staff in the office and therefore more indoor work being done as per Indoor Work Plan.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Yamr1
- Posts: 625
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
- Gender: Female
Absorption Guidelines
Never going to disappear with greedy bonus hungry managers.
Best wae to combat it .
Go do Lapsing first then come back take tea break.
then see what u can take before loading Van up.
Don't make decision till after your tea break .
Because when going up to do the Lapsing etc car traffic and people not in for packets.
then use the cutting off procedure and watch the Dom get angry cause you done the job correct and you never cut corners .
.
Manager will hit you with the following shite " your to slow etc your not up to standard . Try and hang over you when tieing up to try and break u down" all for his bonus and definitely bullying and harassment too .
Union rep will try brush it under the carpet to get easy life from gaffer.
JUST BE STRONG
Best wae to combat it .
Go do Lapsing first then come back take tea break.
then see what u can take before loading Van up.
Don't make decision till after your tea break .
Because when going up to do the Lapsing etc car traffic and people not in for packets.
then use the cutting off procedure and watch the Dom get angry cause you done the job correct and you never cut corners .
.
Manager will hit you with the following shite " your to slow etc your not up to standard . Try and hang over you when tieing up to try and break u down" all for his bonus and definitely bullying and harassment too .
Union rep will try brush it under the carpet to get easy life from gaffer.
JUST BE STRONG
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
Get over it please ! Because of this constant problem the management promote and thrive on splitting colleagues.
It’s really, truly simple. Job and knock is history now! How thick can posties be and NOT realise that ???
You now work all paid hours, finito ! Then go home if OT is not wanted.
( if you want to go in early, don’t take breaks ? Hard lines,more fool you ! Your DOM and mother will still love you )
I am fully aware that dims do not like to comply with the “ actual” situation, they ALWAYS want more than their pound of flesh, it’s now firmly in their DNA and bonus culture.
Push, then push some more in an attempt to humiliate you, try and make you look inferior to other brown nose posties.
Embarrass you in front of colleagues, it’s a well proven method of intimidation. Then they hold their hands up, deny pressurising and say “ others” are happy to comply.
When will the penny drop ? I read on here all the time about going over when you don’t want to. Grow up, you don’t NEED to go over - regardless of shared van partners - stick up for yourself, no one else in delivery will on this point.
Managers are taking the piss, the ball is firmly at your foot. Once you accept you are and can be given work to fulfill All paid hours there becomes NO problem.
The problem with posties lies when they see OTHERS doing the absorbing and still finishing before duty time.
Is It is jealousy ? Those people get left alone by management primarily to put pressure on the ones who won’t or are unable to absorb. They always get away with any added pressure because they have already complied with the DOMs wishes.!!!
It’s really, truly simple. Job and knock is history now! How thick can posties be and NOT realise that ???
You now work all paid hours, finito ! Then go home if OT is not wanted.
( if you want to go in early, don’t take breaks ? Hard lines,more fool you ! Your DOM and mother will still love you )
I am fully aware that dims do not like to comply with the “ actual” situation, they ALWAYS want more than their pound of flesh, it’s now firmly in their DNA and bonus culture.
Push, then push some more in an attempt to humiliate you, try and make you look inferior to other brown nose posties.
Embarrass you in front of colleagues, it’s a well proven method of intimidation. Then they hold their hands up, deny pressurising and say “ others” are happy to comply.
When will the penny drop ? I read on here all the time about going over when you don’t want to. Grow up, you don’t NEED to go over - regardless of shared van partners - stick up for yourself, no one else in delivery will on this point.
Managers are taking the piss, the ball is firmly at your foot. Once you accept you are and can be given work to fulfill All paid hours there becomes NO problem.
The problem with posties lies when they see OTHERS doing the absorbing and still finishing before duty time.
Is It is jealousy ? Those people get left alone by management primarily to put pressure on the ones who won’t or are unable to absorb. They always get away with any added pressure because they have already complied with the DOMs wishes.!!!
-
BAILEY21
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 17:54
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
Absorption/lapping,dress it up in any way you want,but if you simply don't have the time,Don't do it,they lapsed 5 duties on Saturday,I was asked if I was taking mine,told him no,as I had too many s/d's,when he asked me to take half,told him I would if he could take my problem s/d's,funny but he shut up after that
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
I take mine but I go over and I don’t like going over it’s not fair but I still take it not fair going over still take.
Sorry couldn’t resist..
Sorry couldn’t resist..
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
Haaaaaa, you have just quoted a work colleague !LaggyBand wrote:I take mine but I go over and I don’t like going over it’s not fair but I still take it not fair going over still take.
Sorry couldn’t resist..
Asked why he comes in early to prep D2D then skips his break?
His reply is " if I did not, I would never finish on time" !
Sorry couldn't resist. Would be funny if it was not TRUE!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
Next week is the last week for summer absorption. It gets really busy usually the following week so would not be possible to carry on doing summer absorption then.england19661882 wrote:I was told 2018 SUMMER absorption ended after week 22 (next week). Now I'm told a further 6 weeks have been added and it doesn't end till after week 28. Is this correct? Are there guidelines/rules available on absorption?
Thanks in advance
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Nickvilla20
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
Our office laspes 6 walks all year apart from Xmas. Not sure what summer lasping is to be honest.
Rumour has it next year they want to laspe a rural duty.
Rumour has it next year they want to laspe a rural duty.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Absorption Guidelines
All you posties have absorbing,what I would like to know is what extra do managers have to do? Or as I suspect is that a silly question! 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Absorption Guidelines
They don't have any extra to do. Actually if managers/DOMs do any delivery you lose money from the next year's budget so you don't really want them to be doing any delivery work.Brandy wrote:All you posties have absorbing,what I would like to know is what extra do managers have to do? Or as I suspect is that a silly question!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.