ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Test Letters

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Test Letters

Post by NewPostieUK »

Fisrt of all, I have absolutely no problem with test letters, I do the job properly, delivering everything I'm meant to and emptying boxes when they are due.

However, I overheard a conversation and apparently, there aren't just test letters with a chip inside so they can be followed on their journey, but ordinary letters, such as bank statements, may have this chip.

This seems a bit sneaky! I wouldn't have thought that a letter with Barclays, Swintons, DVLC, Tesco etc on the envelope would be a test letter.

There are often genuine reasons why a letter isn't delivered, not least mis-sorts. I suppose if it is endorsed correctly you have nothing to worry about.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Test Letters

Post by Postie45 »

sneaky would be the point right ? if it came through as "THIS IS TEST LETTER" it would kinda give the game away.
I dont think RM care too much if you mis-sort it, bring it back to the office and it gets delivered next day. Theyre more interested in letters they know you went out with that dont get delivered at all.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Test Letters

Post by Creditshampoo »

I’m gunna go all out here and say this is a massive untrue rumour.
No way Royal Mail would pay for something like that even if the technology exists
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Test Letters

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Creditshampoo wrote:I’m gunna go all out here and say this is a massive untrue rumour.
No way Royal Mail would pay for something like that even if the technology exists
It's been in use by RM for a good few years now. Look above anyway doorway where mail goes in/out of the building and you'll see the scanners that detect the rfid tags
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Test Letters

Post by number one »

It’s to check the pipline not individual posties
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Test Letters

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Creditshampoo wrote:I’m gunna go all out here and say this is a massive untrue rumour.
No way Royal Mail would pay for something like that even if the technology exists

Royal Mail doesn't, IIRC it's an independent body that recruits people and business and pays them to send and receive test letters.

There are scanners in all the participant's addresses and in all operational Royal Mail buildings. This has been going on since I started back in 2004, and no doubt before that.

Its a case of move on nothing new here. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ScottR
Posts: 27
Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 17:56
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Test Letters

Post by ScottR »

Yeah as above it is just Joe Bloggs on your round who will send and receive test letters to other test letter participants, as well as the independent service Royal Mail do use test letters they send themselves i.e. your manager / selected individuals will insert these into boxes just before the collection time is due and these have the little RFID chips in it *not actually that little probably about the size of your phone screen i.e. 5-6 inches but very thin*

If you are no longer working for Royal Mail and wish to make some stamps on the side - feel free to volunteer for the test service ran by TNS https://www.tnsglobal.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may often notice the test letters/packets/parcels that are sent directly from TNS as their return address is mostly noted on the front/reverse as only TNS SWAN LANE Industrial or something close to that.
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Test Letters

Post by NewPostieUK »

Lad I spoke to today swears if it hasn't happened yet, it will soon. RFID things stuck to letters. Not normal test letters but normal mail, such as bills. Not sure if the companies concerned know about it or if they have any choice.
ScottR
Posts: 27
Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 17:56
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Test Letters

Post by ScottR »

Would cost too much I'd think.
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Test Letters

Post by Celgar »

number one wrote:It’s to check the pipline not individual posties
I don't know about ordinary mail having tags but they are used to check that postboxes are emptied on Saturdays etc. If one of these letters is found to be not passing through the system when RM think it should then they do blame individual posties. I know this for a fact as it coincided once a while back on my walk with a postbox being uprooted and stolen at the same time as a letter with a chip was posted in said box. I was defended by my DOM as a result but if you get caught out on this one you will personally get in trouble.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.