ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Manager refusing to pay overtime
-
mozsupportsrovers
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Hi, just a quick one question.
Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand
Thanks in advance
Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand
Thanks in advance
-
TONY MELON
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 11:24
Manager refusing to pay overtime
No he can't do that.
-
fed_up_postie
- Posts: 154
- Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: lost in space
Manager refusing to pay overtime
No he can't do that as we don't bank hours!!!! If you finished early on Tuesday that is not your problem that there was not enough work to fill your daily hours!!! If he doesn't agree to pay you then you need to fill in a stage 2 grievance! Get your union rep involved
-
mozsupportsrovers
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
My union rep spoke to him yesterday and he still refused.
Thursday I was informed that nobody was allowed to leave early unless a manager says so, fair enough, no arguments there as I'm happy to work my contracted hours.
But then Friday I completed the duty and went 30 mins over. Tried to book yesterday and that's when I was informed of his "rules"
I said I wasn't aware that managers could bank hours and don't believe they could.
Is there any documentation that shows he can't do this?
Again thanks in advance
Thursday I was informed that nobody was allowed to leave early unless a manager says so, fair enough, no arguments there as I'm happy to work my contracted hours.
But then Friday I completed the duty and went 30 mins over. Tried to book yesterday and that's when I was informed of his "rules"
I said I wasn't aware that managers could bank hours and don't believe they could.
Is there any documentation that shows he can't do this?
Again thanks in advance
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Just play along next week, don’t book any overtime then on Saturday finish at 10 o’clock and say because you owe me hours I’m going home now
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Manager refusing to pay overtime
So I see they are still stealing off the posties,as thats what it is. It used to happen to me and others,just dont know how they can get away with it. Ok so you may say work to your time,tell them you cant complete,or leave your lapsing,but if you get " There is no mail,so and so can do it,youre too slow and not up to the job" in the end they just grind you down as they did me, and you get so fed up of the constant arguing that you just carry on. Where is the union on this issue,they should have nipped it in the bud years ago.No wonder RM keep making so much profit!!!!!!!!!!!! 
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
On Tuesday did you inform your manager that you finished early and the manager allowed you to go without informing you that the early finish in hours had to be repaid at a later date?mozsupportsrovers wrote:Hi, just a quick one question.
Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand
Thanks in advance
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Totally irrelevantrehabron wrote:On Tuesday did you inform your manager that you finished early and the manager allowed you to go without informing you that the early finish in hours had to be repaid at a later date?mozsupportsrovers wrote:Hi, just a quick one question.
Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand
Thanks in advance
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Manager refusing to pay overtime
What about the people that finished early on Tuesday and didn't claim overtime later in the week? Are they paying him in cash?mozsupportsrovers wrote:
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
He has to treat everyone equally.
-
2Shedz
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Don't quote me on this but as far as I'm aware your contract states any overtime will be paid for
Smiffy
Smiffy
-
mozsupportsrovers
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
rehabron wrote:On Tuesday did you inform your manager that you finished early and the manager allowed you to go without informing you that the early finish in hours had to be repaid at a later date?mozsupportsrovers wrote:Hi, just a quick one question.
Can a manager refuse to pay me 30 mins for going over my time?
He says I “owe”him time from earlier in the week, a quiet Tuesday, so he’s taking it off that.
I was under the impression there was no flexi time unless agreed beforehand
Thanks in advance
Hi, in short No.
But we have never been instructed to do so, it’s just a given, or has been for the 5 years I’ve been there that once done, you go unless you are asked to do something. There were managers in the office when I came back and no one challenged me on it.
Like another post has said, others finished early on that day(and other days) and haven’t been asked to make the time back up.
Thanks for all the replies, seems I am in the right and he’s trying to pull a fast one
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Tell him calmly that unless it's paid, you will be taking the complaint higher and will be working to time until you see the money owed on your payslip that way there can be no more underpayment.
-
mozsupportsrovers
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
Thanks for all the replies. Just add, this is the DOM refusing to pay me and not just a line manager, don't know if that changes anything.
Thanks
Thanks
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
As with the other replies of course he can refuse to pay you 30 mins overtime,you would think it was coming out of his own pocket,he uses the old you finished early the other day or last year somewhen! It gets challenged every time and he won’t have it,it’s farcical,it’s a tad archaic to think you might not have time to complete who knows what’s I’ll happen,why not just work till you run out of time bring it back and should you see a manager on your return (it’s possible I know)leave it to him to resolve and sort,over to you mr manager for you to resolve and manage,ive worked my hours and now going home,drag somebody back who’s long since gone to complete as controversial as that may be for some!,I think that sets alarm bells ringing when you say you don’t THINK you’ll be able to complete,the look of horror on there face I guess ,we don’t have that face to face debarkle,ours is usually down the end of a phone cos that’s how he manages!,,far from ideal
-
mozsupportsrovers
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Jun 2013, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Manager refusing to pay overtime
I didn't have a problem with going over on Friday to be honest. But it just now gets you thinking that in the future will I be refused pay for overtime if I go over(again I'm generally more than happy to)robbertwhitton wrote:As with the other replies of course he can refuse to pay you 30 mins overtime,you would think it was coming out of his own pocket,he uses the old you finished early the other day or last year somewhen! It gets challenged every time and he won’t have it,it’s farcical,it’s a tad archaic to think you might not have time to complete who knows what’s I’ll happen,why not just work till you run out of time bring it back and should you see a manager on your return (it’s possible I know)leave it to him to resolve and sort,over to you mr manager for you to resolve and manage,ive worked my hours and now going home,drag somebody back who’s long since gone to complete as controversial as that may be for some!,I think that sets alarm bells ringing when you say you don’t THINK you’ll be able to complete,the look of horror on there face I guess ,we don’t have that face to face debarkle,ours is usually down the end of a phone cos that’s how he manages!,,far from ideal
Thanks for all the replies