ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
-
smurf992
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 20:58
- Gender: Female
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
I have spoken with and emailed my manager requesting set days working - he said he tried but wasnt possible.
The child care situation has got worse and my partner works away alot, and i have no family near by. I contacted and met with my union rep and explained that because i only get my rota on a weekly basis and have no set days on or of, arranging child care was becoming impossible and i would need to pay £200 a month just to secure a place which i may or may not need - I have been refused this, stating that because I don't have a fixed round I am unable to have this request met.
There is no longer any child care available on a monday (this is normally a day I don't work) can I formally request to have this as a day of under the flexible working regulations..
Do I contact HR? Do i give up, I really enjoy by job and don't want to leave but may be forced to quit!
Help
The child care situation has got worse and my partner works away alot, and i have no family near by. I contacted and met with my union rep and explained that because i only get my rota on a weekly basis and have no set days on or of, arranging child care was becoming impossible and i would need to pay £200 a month just to secure a place which i may or may not need - I have been refused this, stating that because I don't have a fixed round I am unable to have this request met.
There is no longer any child care available on a monday (this is normally a day I don't work) can I formally request to have this as a day of under the flexible working regulations..
Do I contact HR? Do i give up, I really enjoy by job and don't want to leave but may be forced to quit!
Help
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Fle ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
You’re manager is lying because they probably cant be arsed sorting it out.
-
estelle
- Posts: 194
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
Unfortunately, whilst legally you are allowed to ask for flexible working in respect of childcare, the company are able to decline requests where they are unable to facilitate the proposal.
In essence, you are allowed to ask, but legally they are not obliged to provide what you are asking.
In essence, you are allowed to ask, but legally they are not obliged to provide what you are asking.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
They have to privide eveidence as to why it wouldn’t work. Due to Royal Mail operating 6 days a week and around 12 hours a day in Delivery it is hard for them to refuse a reasonable request. To have the same day off each week is reasonable they have to have a bloody good reason (the one they have given isn’t good enough) to refuse you it. Call the union area rep.estelle wrote:Unfortunately, whilst legally you are allowed to ask for flexible working in respect of childcare, the company are able to decline requests where they are unable to facilitate the proposal.
In essence, you are allowed to ask, but legally they are not obliged to provide what you are asking.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
I have given the link for flexible working so work out what the requirements you need for your child care around your contracted hours for instance the hours you can work on certain days and you already know that Monday is not an issue.smurf992 wrote:I have spoken with and emailed my manager requesting set days working - he said he tried but wasnt possible.
The child care situation has got worse and my partner works away alot, and i have no family near by. I contacted and met with my union rep and explained that because i only get my rota on a weekly basis and have no set days on or of, arranging child care was becoming impossible and i would need to pay £200 a month just to secure a place which i may or may not need - I have been refused this, stating that because I don't have a fixed round I am unable to have this request met.
There is no longer any child care available on a monday (this is normally a day I don't work) can I formally request to have this as a day of under the flexible working regulations..
Do I contact HR? Do i give up, I really enjoy by job and don't want to leave but may be forced to quit!
Help
Put your request in and if possible try to standardise your request so that there is no alterations needed should your application be sucessful.
You will receive your reply in writing within 6 weeks and a reason must be given for refusal.
This business is big enough to work round your hours and you could dangle the carrot if necessary to payback your hours in the future and mail volumes increase
As posted the business has to give your request serious condsideration but do not have to grant it but must have a very good reason for refusing due to the size and administration of the business.
-
chuckychucks
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
I’ve never had issues like this in my office. We have people who have every Monday off, two people have every Wednesday off and one person has every Saturday off.chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
... and I bet he/she is the most popular person in the office!chuckychucks wrote:... and one person has every Saturday off.
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
CC22 wrote:chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
So did you just take you DOMs word for it or did you go through the company policy with HR?
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
I took his word for it...oh dear was that a mistake? The other managers assured me that he was the best one and that he was a "super nice guy" my arse.....number one wrote:CC22 wrote:chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
So did you just take you DOMs word for it or did you go through the company policy with HR?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
Yes it was a bad ideaCC22 wrote:I took his word for it...oh dear was that a mistake? The other managers assured me that he was the best one and that he was a "super nice guy" my arse.....number one wrote:CC22 wrote:chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
So did you just take you DOMs word for it or did you go through the company policy with HR?
-
CC22
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jul 2018, 09:34
- Gender: Female
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
Oh dear....is it too late to contact HR...o haven't actually senty letter of resignation yet. Honestly from the day I started there my managers seemed to have it in for me. They never liked me, always treated me differently etc....I felt like I had no other choice but to resign. They made me feel incompetent.number one wrote:Yes it was a bad ideaCC22 wrote:I took his word for it...oh dear was that a mistake? The other managers assured me that he was the best one and that he was a "super nice guy" my arse.....number one wrote:CC22 wrote:chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
So did you just take you DOMs word for it or did you go through the company policy with HR?
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Requesting flexible working-child care issues!
If you haven't sent in your letter of resignation or signed anything that you have resigned then you are still employed as verbal wouldn't hold water and could be answered that what you said was you were thinking about resigning if there was no resolution to your child care arrangements.CC22 wrote:Oh dear....is it too late to contact HR...o haven't actually senty letter of resignation yet. Honestly from the day I started there my managers seemed to have it in for me. They never liked me, always treated me differently etc....I felt like I had no other choice but to resign. They made me feel incompetent.number one wrote:Yes it was a bad ideaCC22 wrote:I took his word for it...oh dear was that a mistake? The other managers assured me that he was the best one and that he was a "super nice guy" my arse.....number one wrote:CC22 wrote:chuckychucks wrote:Flexible working is a joke, another government idea with too many loopholes that non empathetic employers can exploit. I've been down this road and it was a dark toxic place, all i got was excuse after excuse after excuse, i can still hear the echoes...operational needs...operational needs...operational needs...blah..blah..blah.
They ignored their own timescales and every idea i had to try and make it work, in other words they were saying your child is your problem, not ours..you don't like it..leave.
I wish you luck in your quest to get your flexible working, i can sympathize with the terrible position you find yourself in.
I quit my job at Royal Mail today. Due to being unable to get flexible working hours for family comments. Royal Mail pride themselves on being great employers, taking care of their staff....blah, blah, blah. What a crock of s**t. Worst company I've ever worked for. My DOM literally had nothing to say over the phone....when I asked him if I could extend my dependants leave. He said he couldn't do it, and then went silent, and said "I literally don't know what to say to you" pathetic. He basically forced me to resign on the spot. Because he couldn't bothered to offer another solution.
RM is a joke!!!
So did you just take you DOMs word for it or did you go through the company policy with HR?
You need to get the ball rolling by putting in your application for flexible working. The employer has to give your application serious consideration and give in writing a justifable reason why your request is unable to be granted.
Depending on the reply if unsucessful proceed further through other procedures which are in place and with the support from your union.
Quiting is the easy way out take them on.