ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Unfit or is it the job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

So, I thought I was quite a fit person. But I'm struggling with the mileage day after day. So much so I'm retraining to do another job, and hope to leave RM soon.
I'm a runner, I was regularly doing 10k to half marathons. But now haven't the energy to do any running. Average walking is 12 miles a day.
Is it just me feeling like this?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by robbertwhitton »

I have to say it has become a gutty slog,and been worse with the hot weather and lapsing,they certainly want their pound of flesh from you now,I’m tired of doing battle with management we’re not going to win,th y have little interest in our welfare unlike years gone by,they did back you a bit,but things change,and staff and the customer are sadly way down the line,
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by Postie45 »

you MUST know the answer to this..... i dont see 60-70+ people capable of doing half marathons in my office.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

The heat has certainly taken it out of me. And think that's broken the camels back as it were....or mine ha ha.
I'm in my early 40s, I have full admiration to the older guys and girls in my office of how they just crack on with it!
robbertwhitton wrote:I have to say it has become a gutty slog,and been worse with the hot weather and lapsing,they certainly want their pound of flesh from you now,I’m tired of doing battle with management we’re not going to win,th y have little interest in our welfare unlike years gone by,they did back you a bit,but things change,and staff and the customer are sadly way down the line,
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

But would they be capable of running even if they weren't doing this job ha ha.
Postie45 wrote:you MUST know the answer to this..... i dont see 60-70+ people capable of doing half marathons in my office.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by RobertT »

I used to be a big runner and used to go out on 10-15 mile training runs after work quite regularly. But the job, age and a few injuries have caught up with me now, although I can still do 10k or so when I want to.

But energy wise, I find the only way I have enough to run properly these days is to rest/sleep as much as possible.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
arturo10
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Dec 2010, 13:24
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by arturo10 »

Packets are just crazy just now and have been all summer. Dread to think what its going to be like in the run up to Xmas. :shock:
Last edited by arturo10 on 15 Jan 2021, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by postslippete »

Must be that Friday feeling because I'm feeling fatigued. I always know when I get in a nice hot bath and wake up and the waters gone freezing cold and 2 hours have past in the blink of an eye. Its the job and its not getting any easier. On the Indoor Work plans there seems to be more indoor work to do, lapsing, double lapsing, work shy managers wanting to know how much overtime they think you are doing....I do get sick of the job but I'm not going to let them lazy b*stards grind me down
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

I find I have more energy just after the weekend but from Wednesday onwards I'm knackered. It just annoys me that I can't train as much as I use to.
RobertT wrote:I used to be a big runner and used to go out on 10-15 mile training runs after work quite regularly. But the job, age and a few injuries have caught up with me now, although I can still do 10k or so when I want to.

But energy wise, I find the only way I have enough to run properly these days is to rest/sleep as much as possible.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by LaggyBand »

Best thing I did that made a huge difference is never work any of your days off.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

I done that for a while, but never again!!
LaggyBand wrote:Best thing I did that made a huge difference is never work any of your days off.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

That end of week feeling, but still Saturday to get through! Good on you for not letting them grind you down. I just can't wait to escape.
postslippete wrote:Must be that Friday feeling because I'm feeling fatigued. I always know when I get in a nice hot bath and wake up and the waters gone freezing cold and 2 hours have past in the blink of an eye. Its the job and its not getting any easier. On the Indoor Work plans there seems to be more indoor work to do, lapsing, double lapsing, work shy managers wanting to know how much overtime they think you are doing....I do get sick of the job but I'm not going to let them lazy b*stards grind me down
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by LaggyBand »

DRM wrote:I done that for a while, but never again!!
LaggyBand wrote:Best thing I did that made a huge difference is never work any of your days off.
Why never again?
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by DRM »

Meant I use to work my days off but never again.
LaggyBand wrote:
DRM wrote:I done that for a while, but never again!!
LaggyBand wrote:Best thing I did that made a huge difference is never work any of your days off.
Why never again?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Unfit or is it the job?

Post by clashcityrocker »

DRM wrote:So, I thought I was quite a fit person. But I'm struggling with the mileage day after day. So much so I'm retraining to do another job, and hope to leave RM soon.
I'm a runner, I was regularly doing 10k to half marathons. But now haven't the energy to do any running. Average walking is 12 miles a day.
Is it just me feeling like this?
I know nobody likes to hear it but you probably aren't averaging 12 miles a day. Believing that puts you in the wrong head space to start with.
When you go out running, do you warm up and stretch beforehand? Do you warm down?
Do you apply the same criteria to your working day? Those muscles need to be looked after.
Dehydration? Poor diet? The two often go hand in hand and would lead to lower levels of energy, as would an underlying medical condition, (Type 2 diabetes)
And remember as you get older your hormone levels change.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.