ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Made to finish late
-
Numberone63
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Today started at 7.00 prepped both jobs. Part time partner joined me at 9.00 so I went for 20 mins break. Left office at 9.53. I judged we didn’t have time for lapsing. Anyway finish time is 14.28. Got back at 14.12. Managers waiting in yard with bundles of mail. Approached us with some to do. I told him that it will make us work over so I will still be coming back on time. He offered us less and I told him that would still put us over. He showed us his watch and said we could do it. We took it and went. Brought some of it back. After offloading van and putting returns away and signing out this made us 8 minutes late. I hate confrontation and this is just making staff resentful. Only a few weeks ago before all this crap started I would most days take extra work out and help out for overtime. It’s just making people not want to help out. Really feeling crap in the job now. Our office is currently having a full resign and it’s possible I’m going to loose the shift pattern that I’ve been on for almost 9 years. If I wasn’t thinking of cashing pension in in 5 years I’d probably be looking for a new job. Moan moan moan. Lol.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
It is pathetic when you're back like ten minutes early and they're trying to send people out again. Today we parked up after our last loop for twenty minutes chatting which took us to smack on our finish time. Just do that.
-
Numberone63
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 621
- Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
With the PDA tracking your every move I’m a bit iffy about doing that.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Don't come back early. They cannot make you go over your time, not by even 1 minute. Thank God I no longer work for this company.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Nobody “made” you go over YOU decide to do it! Just say NO! Don’t do it then moan.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Cliam the 8minutes as ot.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
next time say you firstly need to use the toilet (im sure this will be the case after being out on delivery so long) but will take the extra work as soon as youve been and then unloaded and put stuff back in the locker etc, then approach the manager with the 4 or 5 mins you have left, and ask them if they want you to attempt going out in the remaining time you have left.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
you can string it out if you are going to be early going back. use a toilet on delivery, walk slower. just basically slow it right down if you've underestimated. PDA can't prove anything on that score. don't give them any bullets and they can't fire at you.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Made to finish late
So your start time is 7, or did you start early? Did you take your other 20 minute break on delivery? Did you allow your partner to use his 30 min break entitlement? Did you doorstep at all? If so, stop, even with customers you know well. Knock nieghbours? Use your trolley on the whole route? Have you got the bottle to cut off when you are going over if your will be significantly over time (if you do the job properly)? If the answer to these isn't what it should be you are shooting yourself in the foot, and come Xmas you will really be shat on.. So start now!Numberone63 wrote:Today started at 7.00 prepped both jobs. Part time partner joined me at 9.00 so I went for 20 mins break. Left office at 9.53. I judged we didn’t have time for lapsing. Anyway finish time is 14.28. Got back at 14.12. Managers waiting in yard with bundles of mail. Approached us with some to do. I told him that it will make us work over so I will still be coming back on time. He offered us less and I told him that would still put us over. He showed us his watch and said we could do it. We took it and went. Brought some of it back. After offloading van and putting returns away and signing out this made us 8 minutes late. I hate confrontation and this is just making staff resentful. Only a few weeks ago before all this crap started I would most days take extra work out and help out for overtime. It’s just making people not want to help out. Really feeling crap in the job now. Our office is currently having a full resign and it’s possible I’m going to loose the shift pattern that I’ve been on for almost 9 years. If I wasn’t thinking of cashing pension in in 5 years I’d probably be looking for a new job. Moan moan moan. Lol.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4197
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
You get managers like that. And you have to ask with the little bit they gave you, what has it achieved? It would probably take me 20 minutes just to get to my delivery and 20 minutes to get back, in which case I wouldn't have time to do it as the journey would have taken me over my time anyway. You are still far better off sitting in your van for 20 minutes and just tell them you were dealing with a customer query.
But you are quite right when you get managers that are getting peoples backs up, you do feel a lot less like helping them out
But you are quite right when you get managers that are getting peoples backs up, you do feel a lot less like helping them out
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Made to finish late
That gives you 16 minutes to unload van sort P739's scan collection barcode, log off hand in PDA collection keys, van keys, put trolley away, put bags away, put missorts away, put trays away and sign out. I wouldn't have time to deliver one more letter.Numberone63 wrote: Anyway finish time is 14.28. Got back at 14.12.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
If you come back early the PDA Actual system will clock it, but it is up to managers to use that system to 'adjust' your working mentality. So far in my experience they target people who are booking excess, which then encourages some to work to their time, not what the company want at all. Because of the way they are using it locally ill feeling is increasing. They are not supposed to use the information to pursue conduct charges, but often this is the starting point for the process. The system is pretty accurate, and will make finishing early, in time, a thing of the past for many.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
I think it’s clear the whole company delivery aspect is archaic and not fit for purpose now,with so many variations for them to throw at you as and when things don’t suit them,there’s a whole raft of variants they use to belittle you to the point of submission,they’ve certainly cut there cloth to the bare minimum and wonder why it’s far from efficient at times,the stuff that goes on daily beggars belief,and leaves you mystified and shaking your head in disbelief,part time hours,being loaned out,lapsing,and general apathy isn’t fun from day to day,it’s draining and soul destroying to say the least,and of course will vary from office to office,in greater or lesser levels,the times they are a changing my friends,
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Feel sorry for people working in offices like this
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Made to finish late
Just gotta be polite. Say by all means, we'll take some out but will be returning to the office in time to do all the necessary stuff to enable me to be leaving the office on my finish time. I may only have time to deliver 5 minutes worth but accept that I'm paid to work my hrs, however I can't really see how efficient this practice would be?