ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Random question about monopoly

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by sheepy19 »

Ha..something I've been wondering
Not sure if this is a local thing but our mail fittings have each street labelled in a different colour, reds, blues,yellows, blacks etc.

Is a monopoly board copied off this idea or the other way round? Or just a coincidence.

Sorry, geeky question.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by deristrong »

Every Friday I collect my £200
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by sheepy19 »

Lucky you ha
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by Dorset Plodder »

sheepy19 wrote:Ha..something I've been wondering
Not sure if this is a local thing but our mail fittings have each street labelled in a different colour, reds, blues,yellows, blacks etc.

Is a monopoly board copied off this idea or the other way round? Or just a coincidence.

Sorry, geeky question.

I think Royal Mail's been around longer that the Monopoly Game. :thumbup Probably just a simple system to try and differentiate between roads. Although it often seems to beyond the capability of some planners who still manage to put two similiar colours next to each other when they're trying to sort the A-Plus! :d'oh! I once worked in an Nearby Office, as Holiday cover, and the frame had NO colours on it at all. When I asked why they said, "The Regular Postie is colour blind"! :shock: No idea why that should make a difference. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Random question about monopoly

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

When I started, and my frame still is - black text on white background. I think that was the norm.

The colour coding came in IIRC with P&L, and sequencing mainly I think to make it easier to differentiate streets for people who don't regularly prep those duties.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by LaggyBand »

Ours are old school, black text on an all yellow background, with loads of bits hand written.

And people on here tell us to “simply check the 318”...
sheepy19
Posts: 13
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 15:06
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by sheepy19 »

So do yous reckon they are they both using the same idea but not copying each other directly?
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by 97gaz »

I
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3345
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by Mr Rush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The colour coding came in IIRC with P&L, and sequencing mainly I think to make it easier to differentiate streets for people who don't regularly prep those duties.
I can only speak for my office since I've never worked in another unit, but coloured street labels have always been present since I joined in 2007. The only walks I've seen with plain black and white printing are from the rushed resequencing of the walk. It does help with manual sorting since picking out a block of colour is faster than scanning along each row for the street name.
The machine stops.
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by postslippete »

Aye, only the Rep has a "Get out of Lapsing Free" card
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postslippete wrote:Aye, only the Rep has a "Get out of Lapsing Free" card
Ha Ha Very Good :Applause I remember some of those "OLD SCHOOL" frames with bits of fag packets stuck on the frame with a few numbers pencilled on them, and whole roads handwritten on pieces of masking tape! :crazy: I think we've made SOME progress. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Random question about monopoly

Post by fishtank »

The colours are a relatively new thing since the introduction of the RM2000 frame. Before that we had box frames where most of the time you would street sort first then put the street in order.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share