ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lapsing
-
Dingo99
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Hi guys just wanted to know can management get away with lapsing all week? Most weeks we have had the Wednesday without lapsing and that is it. I have yet to see this magically lighter period in the summer, every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, even Saturdays are not that light, anyway Monday can sometimes complete, Tuesday always can, and so can Saturday but Wednesday and Thursday are manic. We simply don't have the time in our hours for 2 breaks and completing lapsing on heavy days without going over. Whenever I try to claim o.t I always get "you got back early Tuesday" thrown in my face even my numpty colleagues as much as I like them keep saying oh well you got back at 1 Tuesday so now you owe Royal Mail ex amount of hours. Really gets on my nerves sick of telling them banking of hours is not allowed but the DOMs won't pay it. My colleague phoned the area rep and all we get out of her (never turns up when she says she will) is overtime is not mandatory (which we know) and you can cut off. I don't wanna leave mail in the frame or bring stuff back also because they say you have to do your lapsing first (I'm guessing this is down to if whole office cuts off they ensure that all the lapsing is done so they only get "part" failures on everybodies duties) and then they say whatever you left in the frame you have to do first the next day. Seriously had enough of this job, in our office we have I think 11 duties so a small office this means with lapsing we get on average 80 delivery points extra which translates usually into 20-35 minutes on top. We had some leave cover DIM telling us how other offices get 40 drops!!! Really is a fecking joke sorry for this rant but I have had enough still looking for a full time job out of this madness!!
Thanks guys,
Dingo99 (Dan)
Thanks guys,
Dingo99 (Dan)
-
beanmuncha
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11
Lapsing
if you can't do the lapsing within your duty time then don't, OT is not compulsory why will people not listen.
I have ones in my office everyday moaning about it, I tell them the same but then they take it anyway. So how can we as reps help if
you will not help yourselves. I know DOM's say this and that to convince you to take it but
IT IS UPTO YOU TO SAY SORRY NO OT TODAY.
If everyone would stop doing the OT that it takes to do the lapsing then it would stop.
It is a scam or a ticking box thing, because i know for a fact we do not save any money whatsoever with the lapsing.
We have 5 people in IPS on 1HR OT and during the week we lapse a 3hr duty and the duty holder is being paid to this and that
so where is the savings? there are none it is a "yes area manager we have lapsed"
I have ones in my office everyday moaning about it, I tell them the same but then they take it anyway. So how can we as reps help if
you will not help yourselves. I know DOM's say this and that to convince you to take it but
IT IS UPTO YOU TO SAY SORRY NO OT TODAY.
If everyone would stop doing the OT that it takes to do the lapsing then it would stop.
It is a scam or a ticking box thing, because i know for a fact we do not save any money whatsoever with the lapsing.
We have 5 people in IPS on 1HR OT and during the week we lapse a 3hr duty and the duty holder is being paid to this and that
so where is the savings? there are none it is a "yes area manager we have lapsed"
-
rodtheplod
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 04 Apr 2017, 14:33
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
beanmuncha wrote:if you can't do the lapsing within your duty time then don't, OT is not compulsory why will people not listen.
I have ones in my office everyday moaning about it, I tell them the same but then they take it anyway. So how can we as reps help if
you will not help yourselves. I know DOM's say this and that to convince you to take it but
IT IS UPTO YOU TO SAY SORRY NO OT TODAY.
If everyone would stop doing the OT that it takes to do the lapsing then it would stop.
It is a scam or a ticking box thing, because i know for a fact we do not save any money whatsoever with the lapsing.
We have 5 people in IPS on 1HR OT and during the week we lapse a 3hr duty and the duty holder is being paid to this and that
so where is the savings? there are none it is a "yes area manager we have lapsed"
As a part time worker when I said I needed to finish on my contracted hours the answer was to start me later. Yet when mail picks up again they will be after the part timers to start early to get the mail out. In RM part time = second class citizen.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Lapsing
Lapsing isn't for heavy days, don't take it.Dingo99 wrote:We simply don't have the time in our hours for 2 breaks and completing lapsing on heavy days
The more lapsing they give you, the more reason you have to say no. Mine is 60 odd houses. I haven't a hope in hell of getting those done, so I don't take it. If it was 10 (like my previous duty) I'd make more of an effort.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Lapsing work is only done within the contracted paid hours of work ! That is to fill or utilise ALL your paid hours of work.
Simple really. Work all your paid hours / time. All these questions on lapsing are really old hat now.
Job and knock has gone, fineto! Some. Day the penny will drop, it amazes me how thick some posties really are !!!
If you wish to go in early, miss your break ! great able to do even more lapsing before your duty finishing time!
Amen, suckers !
Simple really. Work all your paid hours / time. All these questions on lapsing are really old hat now.
Job and knock has gone, fineto! Some. Day the penny will drop, it amazes me how thick some posties really are !!!
If you wish to go in early, miss your break ! great able to do even more lapsing before your duty finishing time!
Amen, suckers !
-
MinTee
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Best to do as you’re told. Mine says the same thing and then tells me I need to use a trolley the next day as “It’s quicker”.glenfiddich wrote:Got told to bring packets back but make sure the lapsed bit goes
Lo and behold when I do a loop or 2 comes back the next day as well and I leave them to deal with the leftovers
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
To many people are intimidated and just do the lapsing .
Stand our ground and TELL them you are not going over and O/T is not compulsory and just walk away
Or tell them to look at the PDA Actuals
Its funny how all the walks were timed at 4.5 hours at the revision and now they have added collections from boxes , scanning and photographing packets, delivery to neighbours and lapsing and expect you to finish in the same time.
Stand our ground and TELL them you are not going over and O/T is not compulsory and just walk away
Or tell them to look at the PDA Actuals
Its funny how all the walks were timed at 4.5 hours at the revision and now they have added collections from boxes , scanning and photographing packets, delivery to neighbours and lapsing and expect you to finish in the same time.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
to be honest im a bit pissed off the CWU as this was one of the biggest issue within offices as well as CULTURE and they did say it will or would STOP but nothing was done , but at the end of the day start on time , take your breaks use the methods and if you don't have time then take the f****r back as you still have a finish time and if the dim is trying to stamp his feet just ask him shall we got in the office with the rep and look at the pdas actuals 
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Lapsing
Most Managers don't even know the guidelines concerning Lapsing, or if they do they choose to ignore them.
Is it any wonder that Posties are no wiser? The other week our DOM said, "We're going to have to Double Lapse today because of sickness" I said, "If I had the time I'd take it however I haven't...... but you do realise that Lapsing is NOT designed to solve the problem of being short staffed"? He just looked at me with that look that children give you when they've been caught with their hand in the biscuit barrel.
Try not to get into arguments with the DOM, just tell him you don't have enough time to Lapse. If he tells you to leave parcels, or a few loops from your own duty, then that's his decision. That's what he get's paid to do. As to when you deliver the lapsed section.... I don't believe it make s a difference... unless you've got some Businesses on that section.
Try not to get into arguments with the DOM, just tell him you don't have enough time to Lapse. If he tells you to leave parcels, or a few loops from your own duty, then that's his decision. That's what he get's paid to do. As to when you deliver the lapsed section.... I don't believe it make s a difference... unless you've got some Businesses on that section.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)