ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Free overtime
-
Matt123
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
How many people miss their meal break and do un paid overtime just to get their walk done and keep the maneger happy
I know several posties who come in early unpaid ,they don't take their break and they doorstep their parcels just to get their walk done quicker
The maneger clocks this and now we have absortions and they are coming in even earlier to get things done
It's a culture of who's the quickest. .and "that walk I can do in an hour what time did ya finish"
Etc
The maneger loves these people because they are helping him get his bonus
I know several posties who come in early unpaid ,they don't take their break and they doorstep their parcels just to get their walk done quicker
The maneger clocks this and now we have absortions and they are coming in even earlier to get things done
It's a culture of who's the quickest. .and "that walk I can do in an hour what time did ya finish"
Etc
The maneger loves these people because they are helping him get his bonus
-
MinTee
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
I started this way as I just thought it was how the job was. I soon caught on after management kept stitching me up. I now just work to the rules, and every time without fail there is stuff to bring back. I won’t stay out anymore because I know if I do they’ll keep stitching me up thinking I’ll stay out and do it. Even had them swearing under their breath and insulting me in the background on the phone when I cut off today. Even caught them spying on me to see if I’m going slow before. Just the fact is I’m now working at a decent pace instead of rushing around to get it done but they’re still under the impression I’m the Usain Bolt of the office.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
Do you tell them you are 'cutting off' before you tie up and leave mail in the frame or tell them you will be bringing mail back?MinTee wrote:I started this way as I just thought it was how the job was. I soon caught on after management kept stitching me up. I now just work to the rules, and every time without fail there is stuff to bring back. I won’t stay out anymore because I know if I do they’ll keep stitching me up thinking I’ll stay out and do it. Even had them swearing under their breath and insulting me in the background on the phone when I cut off today. Even caught them spying on me to see if I’m going slow before. Just the fact is I’m now working at a decent pace instead of rushing around to get it done but they’re still under the impression I’m the Usain Bolt of the office.
-
ewancurze
- Posts: 400
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
I say "I have a lot on today, I may not get it all done. Do you want me to take it all and possibly bring some back or leave some behind?"
Puts the ball in their court then.
Puts the ball in their court then.
-
MinTee
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
They know they’re stitching me up, sometimes they even admit it and fake sincerity and sympathy to get me to finish it.Bahia Feliz wrote: Do you tell them you are 'cutting off' before you tie up and leave mail in the frame or tell them you will be bringing mail back?
Sometimes I let them know, sometimes I don’t. But I always make sure to call them at the very least.
Take today for example. Partner isn’t known for speed/doesn’t come in til 8.30/cannot drive. Walk had more added to it because duty holders like to rush around. Walk had oversized and a loop brought back from yesterday. I was made to sort until 7.45 (no one prepping walk). Managers took 5 oversized off me, and my lapsing (real big help taking work I had no intention of doing), then they said ‘now you should be able to complete in time’ and walked away before I even had a response.
How they were so shocked when I called them to cut off is beyond me.
Just another day for me. I don’t kick off, I just work properly and work to my time and I let them pick up the pieces of their dysfunctional workplace.
-
Yamr1
- Posts: 625
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
- Gender: Female
Free overtime
Royal mail what a f****d up business ...
Few managers what ever size of the office breaking all agreement for greed
for there own pockets never mind the 50 odd staff in the office treated like shite .
Never seen a company like it.
Oh wee need to keep share holders happy what a load of shite most companies private out there and don't get treated like this .
Can't get days off owed unless winter Feb march etc
Bosses don't want to give yous days off in the summer to keep budget good shear f***ing greed
This company needs a shake up
Few managers what ever size of the office breaking all agreement for greed
for there own pockets never mind the 50 odd staff in the office treated like shite .
Never seen a company like it.
Oh wee need to keep share holders happy what a load of shite most companies private out there and don't get treated like this .
Can't get days off owed unless winter Feb march etc
Bosses don't want to give yous days off in the summer to keep budget good shear f***ing greed
This company needs a shake up
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4197
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
Our DOM was going to sort out the runners who were finishing early by sending them back out again, regardless of whether they had extra work that needed doing or not.
I believe it lasted a week, because when staff found out that the DOM was doing this, they then decided to stop coming in early and working through their breaks just to get this extra work done. Profit is the be all and end all of this company. The lapsing and absorption being completed seems to more important than several guys finishing early every day.
I believe it lasted a week, because when staff found out that the DOM was doing this, they then decided to stop coming in early and working through their breaks just to get this extra work done. Profit is the be all and end all of this company. The lapsing and absorption being completed seems to more important than several guys finishing early every day.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
We keep going on about "Working For Free" on this site but it's still a recurring problem. The ONLY thing you really have control over in this business is your own contracted hours. If you are meant to work 0600 - 1348 NOONE can make you work longer than those hours, IF you don't want to.
Check out, and use, the "Over Running Procedure" , and bear in mind that DOMs don't like the Term "Cutting Off"
It is always the DOMs decision as to what you have to do within those contracted hours. So if you know you've got loads of mail and do not want to work overtime, tell them that. It's no use throwing a paddy and shouting, "I'm cutting off... I'll be bring back three bags of mail" you're leaving yourself open to a disciplinary charge of "Wilful Delay of the Mail". Generally speaking once you step out that door with the mail most Managers will expect you to deliver it all (with a few exceptions which I'm sure we'll hear about). Managers WANT you to take everything, that's why you hear so much about DOMs saying, "Take it all with you and just see how you go"!
If you take it all they've got a fully cleared office and they get a pat on the head from their boss. If you bring any back they can have a go at you. 
Just tell them you'll be finishing at your proper time (I know it's often not as easy at that but persevere). This also applies to Lapsing, if you can't get it done within your contracted hours it's NOT compulsory.
And Remember there is no such thing as Banking of Hours, don't let them try the old, "You finished an hour early Tuesday so you owe me an hour on Wednesday".
Also tell all your colleagues. There's still thousands of Posties that don't know how they're entitled to work, and still get bullshitted by the DOM (and they're not all Newbies either, some should know better). Good Luck. 
Check out, and use, the "Over Running Procedure" , and bear in mind that DOMs don't like the Term "Cutting Off"
Just tell them you'll be finishing at your proper time (I know it's often not as easy at that but persevere). This also applies to Lapsing, if you can't get it done within your contracted hours it's NOT compulsory.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Matt123
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
My walk is thrown up for me when I get in
But now the maneger as told me that I have to take my lunch break at 9.20
I start at 9.00
This delays me even more and I end up bringing stuff back
Have they got a script lol
Because every manager says the Same load of buls××t
It's nice to know I'm not alone with this problem
But now the maneger as told me that I have to take my lunch break at 9.20
I start at 9.00
This delays me even more and I end up bringing stuff back
Have they got a script lol
Because every manager says the Same load of buls××t
It's nice to know I'm not alone with this problem
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
20mins into your shift and your told to take your break, tell him no, i will take my break mid way through my shift, and i'll be returning to the office to take it!Matt123 wrote:My walk is thrown up for me when I get in
But now the maneger as told me that I have to take my lunch break at 9.20
I start at 9.00
This delays me even more and I end up bringing stuff back
Have they got a script lol
Because every manager says the Same load of buls××t
It's nice to know I'm not alone with this problem
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
Only saying that so if you’re pressed for time out on delivery you feel compelled to complete.Matt123 wrote:My walk is thrown up for me when I get in
But now the maneger as told me that I have to take my lunch break at 9.20
I start at 9.00
This delays me even more and I end up bringing stuff back
Have they got a script lol
Because every manager says the Same load of buls××t
It's nice to know I'm not alone with this problem
Welcome to have it in the middle of your shift if you wish
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Free overtime
That should be a Union flyer sent out - very clear and good advice indeed!Dorset Plodder wrote:We keep going on about "Working For Free" on this site but it's still a recurring problem. The ONLY thing you really have control over in this business is your own contracted hours. If you are meant to work 0600 - 1348 NOONE can make you work longer than those hours, IF you don't want to.
Check out, and use, the "Over Running Procedure" , and bear in mind that DOMs don't like the Term "Cutting Off"It is always the DOMs decision as to what you have to do within those contracted hours. So if you know you've got loads of mail and do not want to work overtime, tell them that. It's no use throwing a paddy and shouting, "I'm cutting off... I'll be bring back three bags of mail" you're leaving yourself open to a disciplinary charge of "Wilful Delay of the Mail". Generally speaking once you step out that door with the mail most Managers will expect you to deliver it all (with a few exceptions which I'm sure we'll hear about). Managers WANT you to take everything, that's why you hear so much about DOMs saying, "Take it all with you and just see how you go"!
If you take it all they've got a fully cleared office and they get a pat on the head from their boss. If you bring any back they can have a go at you.
Just tell them you'll be finishing at your proper time (I know it's often not as easy at that but persevere). This also applies to Lapsing, if you can't get it done within your contracted hours it's NOT compulsory.And Remember there is no such thing as Banking of Hours, don't let them try the old, "You finished an hour early Tuesday so you owe me an hour on Wednesday".
Also tell all your colleagues. There's still thousands of Posties that don't know how they're entitled to work, and still get bullshitted by the DOM (and they're not all Newbies either, some should know better). Good Luck.
Most of us on here of course have heard it a million times, but how many colleagues would dream of finishing work and then visiting these lovely forums? A fraction.
From my experience most people only a year or so into the job do not have a clue that it works this way: your advice would be most useful to them. Why don’t the union send out a simple, “look dickheads; half the problems you’ve got is you’re still working job n knock. Do it properly and work your hours - simple”
Ah yes. Don’t want to be seen as rocking the boat....