ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by sophie97 »

I am on a 22 hour contract. I do around 12 hours overtime each week. I need to do the overtime to pay the bills.

However im paid incorrectly every single week. of the 12 or so hours I work on average, I will tend get only 6. (it varys but thats the usual shortfall)
I have had many chats with the manager, and he will say he will pay the missing money in the next week, yet when the time comes its still short, and on top of that, that weeks pay will be short and so on and so on. it becomes almost impossible to keep up with it.

Its not just myself, he does it to every part timer in the office, some are too scared to raise the issue, some try but give up.

I went through the union last year, and after months of back and forth, they eventually said that I will just have to keep asking the manager each week to pay any missed overtime in the next weeks wages. Which is of course what I have been doing with no success. This has been going on for years.

I feel my only option is to say im only going to work my contracted hours and cut off etc, yet in doing that, I would get absolutely no overtime, So i would be shooting myself in the foot. its not an option as i need the overtime to be able to afford rent and food.

What are my options? Is there a whistleblower contact or something?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Postie45 »

stop doing the OT, he needs the OT done and im sure youll be asked why you wont do the OT anymore, thats when you tell him that you havent been paid for it in the past and arent doing it until youve received youre previous backpay, you may get him to agree to this if hes relying on you to get it done and then your problems should be solved. To hope this problem just goes away seems unlikely at this point.
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by nuns »

the union should be on this as a main priority, sick to death of having to chase up money ,,its only reason we bloody work.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by danterossetti »

Stop doing any.
Put in a grievance.
Look for hours elsewhere.
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by nuns »

what use is a grievance ! they just disappear :arrrghhh
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Stop doing it. Grievance stage 1 then 2 then Contact ACAS and trinunal. Only way. They’ll fold before then. Demand interest
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Everyone keeps saying “stop doing it” he literally states at the beginning he NEEDS the over time to pay bills.... so another option other than “stop doing it” would be more helpful.
Could maybe go higher put in a grievance or something mention how vital it is that this overtime is paid correctly and them messing it up is putting you under stress an
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by worktotime »

nuns wrote:what use is a grievance ! they just disappear :arrrghhh
no they don't as you ring hr to submit them now , and i think they have 4 weeks to sort it , don't mess about with him /her . oh and refuse to work overtime until your paid what they owe you , its your money .
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Postie45 »

Rapidryan88 wrote:Everyone keeps saying “stop doing it” he literally states at the beginning he NEEDS the over time to pay bills.... so another option other than “stop doing it” would be more helpful.
Could maybe go higher put in a grievance or something mention how vital it is that this overtime is paid correctly and them messing it up is putting you under stress an
yes the OP needs the OT but is not being paid the OT worked, may as well not be doing it at all, the status quo is what needs to end, the union option has failed, so the easiest way is to not do the OT and see if the managers buckle, they need the work to be done afterall..... others have already mentioned grievance.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Janet Brum »

Go to your manager Monday mornings with your OT hours from previous week and tell him to make sure he inputs the hours in the system so you get paid that week. All the OT for previous week have Tuesday as cut off.
And tell him that you need the OT money but you won`t work for free if he doesn`t fix the issue.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Creditshampoo »

worktotime wrote:
nuns wrote:what use is a grievance ! they just disappear :arrrghhh
no they don't as you ring hr to submit them now , and i think they have 4 weeks to sort it , don't mess about with him /her . oh and refuse to work overtime until your paid what they owe you , its your money .
They still ignore them. Hence trinunal
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by Celgar »

Work has been done unpaid across the whole business since the idea of absorption was implemented many years ago. It should never have been brought in.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by 97gaz »

H
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by k979aaa »

Do you contractual hours and take all your meal relief BREAK as they say if he threatens you make a note of it take all witness present and make yourself vocal about it with as many as you can around you. good luck
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

unpaid overtime each week. union doing nothing, what do I do?

Post by eastie »

Every time you put your overtine down on the overtime sheet photograph it on your phone so you have the evidence
Print it off and put it in front of him at his desk
If he doesn't pay . to send the pictures by email to Head office