ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

35 hour full-time contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by j1mmyc »

I’ve been informed I’ll be made up to full time in October but Royal Mail will only make people up to 35 hours now , now my problem is that I’m losing out on 3 hours a week which is fine when I’m there as I’ve been told I can have it as prep but when I’m off on annual leave or sick I won’t get the extra 3 hours, also the part timers will have some sort of pay rise as they don’t lose an hour so would I be entitled to this as I’m not really full time at 35 hours?
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by A2B »

From what i understand from October 35hrs will be the maximum contract offered so it's a take it or leave it situation, personally i wouldn't rely on getting indoor overtime as they are/will be cutting that to the bone. There will no doubt be outdoor delivery work if you want to make up a few hours.

With the 1hr reduction in the working week p/t workers will stay on the same hours but receive a small increase in the hourly rate to compensate for not getting an hour reduction
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by j1mmyc »

Yea that’s fine, I mainly wanna know if I’ll get the small increase like the part timers? The way I see it is if and when the full timers are down to 35 hours in a few years time I’ll still be earning less than them for the same hours so surely in the mean time I’ll still be classed as part time until 35 hours is the full time hours for everyone
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by A2B »

Yes anyone not getting a reduction in the working week will get it
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

35 hour full-time contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

A2B wrote:Yes anyone not getting a reduction in the working week will get it
To be clear everyone will get a 2.6% pay rise in October.

It's just that the pay rise for FTs is offset by the reduction in hours worked.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by j1mmyc »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
A2B wrote:Yes anyone not getting a reduction in the working week will get it
To be clear everyone will get a 2.6% pay rise in October.

It's just that the pay rise for FTs is offset by the reduction in hours worked.
How about delivery supplement if I’m getting made up to fulltime?
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by mickeymacca »

No it does n't work like that Jimmy, everyone's hourly rate will always be the same (new starters aside)

Its maybe easier if you forget about the hourly wage and just consider your contract as a ratio of the full time weekly payment

the full time payment will always stay the same (unless/until we get a 'real' pay rise)
but your proportion of that full time wage will increase as the the full time hours decrease

so say a full time earns £390 a week, you work 35 hours, so you work 35/39 =89.74% of a full time week
89.74% of 390 is £350

when the full time gig is 38 hours it still pays £390 a week for the full timer, but your contracts proportion of a full time week is now 35/38 =92.11%
so you will now be earning 92.11% of £390 = £359.21

and so on until the full time hours are 35 by which time you will be on parity with current full timers and be earning 100% of the £390.

So you will be getting an increase in October when the hour reduces because the ratio between your contract and a full time one will increase.

* I still think they're cheeky feckers, as a full time job now is 39 hours and so that should be reflected on new full time contracts, not what a full time contract will be in five years time

*hope this makes sense mate
'Libraries gave us power'
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

35 hour full-time contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

j1mmyc wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
A2B wrote:Yes anyone not getting a reduction in the working week will get it
To be clear everyone will get a 2.6% pay rise in October.

It's just that the pay rise for FTs is offset by the reduction in hours worked.
How about delivery supplement if I’m getting made up to fulltime?
Yes, that goes up by the same amount. As does the SSPR element which includes DS for overtime. So if you are doing 39 hours now on a 35-hour contract, and when we drop to 38 - you will be paid the same as us.

The only thing is when you are on leave you'll only be paid the 35 hours as per contract, not the 38 you work on average. Is it wrong - yes, its one of the reasons I voted No to this deal.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by mickeymacca »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
j1mmyc wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
A2B wrote:Yes anyone not getting a reduction in the working week will get it
To be clear everyone will get a 2.6% pay rise in October.

It's just that the pay rise for FTs is offset by the reduction in hours worked.
How about delivery supplement if I’m getting made up to fulltime?
Yes, that goes up by the same amount. As does the SSPR element which includes DS for overtime. So if you are doing 39 hours now on a 35-hour contract, and when we drop to 38 - you will be paid the same as us.

The only thing is when you are on leave you'll only be paid the 35 hours as per contract, not the 38 you work on average. Is it wrong - yes, its one of the reasons I voted No to this deal.
I don't recall seeing anything about full time contracts in the interim only being offered at 35 hours, could well have missed it though. I'm surprised the Union are not all over this as it seems a perfect example of not being in the 'spirit of the agreement'.
'Libraries gave us power'
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

35 hour full-time contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

35ft.PNG
I note it says from October 2018 so the OP may have a case if he takes it to the CWU :hmmmm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by Chris413 »

So does this mean that from October my part time 35 hour contract will become a full time contract and as such all the benefits of a full time contract will be given to me?
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by mickeymacca »

Chris413 wrote:So does this mean that from October my part time 35 hour contract will become a full time contract and as such all the benefits of a full time contract will be given to me?
Chris there are n't any extra benefits a full time contract of 35 hours has over a part time contract of 35 hours, you are both pro rata

that's the point,

..... 'all full timers are equal, but some are more equal than others'
'Libraries gave us power'
beanmuncha
Posts: 305
Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11

35 hour full-time contract

Post by beanmuncha »

My point would be why are they not making you up to FT before October, if they can do it then surely they can do it in September
and save all the messing about. I know a few offices that are pushing for any FT positions to be done asap so as to get in before the 35 hour comes
into effect.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by Creditshampoo »

I think this is a grey area. Someone was made up in my office to FT 39 hours yesterday...
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

35 hour full-time contract

Post by Creditshampoo »

beanmuncha wrote:My point would be why are they not making you up to FT before October, if they can do it then surely they can do it in September
and save all the messing about. I know a few offices that are pushing for any FT positions to be done asap so as to get in before the 35 hour comes
into effect.
Bang on mate. Grievance it if your rep isn’t any help. Which obviously they should be, if not go tonarea then branch then HQ.