ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Claiming breaks
-
Jacko29
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
- Gender: Female
Claiming breaks
Hi, I’ve being working for Royal Mail for two weeks now and on my first day I was told 20 mins break for a PT. not had one break since that day! Anyway fast forward to this afternoon and on the way out someone asked me if I’m getting my breaks and I said no, she said if you do between 5-7 hours per day you get half an hour break. She said I should take ten mins so we both done at the same time and to claim the 20 mins the next morning. I just feel like I’m probably just slow as I’ve only just started and I’m going to look bad if I claim my break everyday! I want to keep this job after my 6 month probation. Anyway what do you all suggest?! The guy I work with said he don’t claim his as they way he sees it is that sometimes we are done early. Thank you
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Claiming breaks
I suggest you start taking your break entitlement.
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Claiming breaks
Royal Mail will tell you nothing - until there is a complaint or injury. Take your breaks, use your trolley always not bags, knock on neighbours doors for packets if not in, don't take shortcuts and claim your overtime or use cut off procedure! You just shoot yerself in the foot otherwise and it makes someone elses life easier- normally bonus incentivised managers or the DO favourites with short walks that work for free. Join the union immediately - inform them at any hint of trouble.
-
gb93
- Posts: 1462
- Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Claiming breaks
Choice 1. Take 10 mins before you go out on delivery then claim an extra 20 on end of duty if you don't have another break.
Choice 2. Take full 30 min break before you go out on delivery.
Choice 3. Take 10 mins before going out then take another 20 mins whilst out on delivery.
Choice 4. Don't take any breaks at all.
Upto you but I know no way would I choose option 4
Choice 2. Take full 30 min break before you go out on delivery.
Choice 3. Take 10 mins before going out then take another 20 mins whilst out on delivery.
Choice 4. Don't take any breaks at all.
Upto you but I know no way would I choose option 4
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
-
Jacko29
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
- Gender: Female
Claiming breaks
azza30 wrote:Royal Mail will tell you nothing - until there is a complaint or injury. Take your breaks, use your trolley always not bags, knock on neighbours doors for packets if not in, don't take shortcuts and claim your overtime or use cut off procedure! You just shoot yerself in the foot otherwise and it makes someone elses life easier- normally bonus incentivised managers or the DO favourites with short walks that work for free. Join the union immediately - inform them at any hint of trouble.
The people I’m out with never take there breaks so it’s awkward seen as I’m new! I joined the union on my induction. I’m just a bit worried about going in there tom morning as saying I need to claim 20 mins cos I never got my whole break.
-
Jacko29
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
- Gender: Female
Claiming breaks
I don’t mind choice 1! Yeh I’m basically doing choice 4 as I haven’t being told the situation. Seems like the people I’m out with don’t claim it. I’ve had a couple of people who I haven’t worked with saying make sure you get your break! Which is fine but I don’t want to get binned of xos the manager don’t like me when I claim all the OT hahagb93 wrote:Choice 1. Take 10 mins before you go out on delivery then claim an extra 20 on end of duty if you don't have another break.
Choice 2. Take full 30 min break before you go out on delivery.
Choice 3. Take 10 mins before going out then take another 20 mins whilst out on delivery.
Choice 4. Don't take any breaks at all.
Upto you but I know no way would I choose option 4
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Claiming breaks
your entitled to it so doesnt matter what the manager thinks.Jacko29 wrote:I don’t mind choice 1! Yeh I’m basically doing choice 4 as I haven’t being told the situation. Seems like the people I’m out with don’t claim it. I’ve had a couple of people who I haven’t worked with saying make sure you get your break! Which is fine but I don’t want to get binned of xos the manager don’t like me when I claim all the OT hahagb93 wrote:Choice 1. Take 10 mins before you go out on delivery then claim an extra 20 on end of duty if you don't have another break.
Choice 2. Take full 30 min break before you go out on delivery.
Choice 3. Take 10 mins before going out then take another 20 mins whilst out on delivery.
Choice 4. Don't take any breaks at all.
Upto you but I know no way would I choose option 4
Soon as he realises you know about it he will leave you alone
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Claiming breaks
yeah pal - start the way you mean to go on, otherwise you'll end up being one of the eejits who end up working for free some way or another, and every 10 minutes adds up to 100's of hours and your boss getting a bonus off your back!
-
abuch1980
- Posts: 226
- Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 12:30
- Gender: Male
Claiming breaks
Never work for free, take your breaks or make sure you've claimed them. Some days it's really hard to take a break but at the end of the day it is worth taking 10 15 mins your body will thank you,!
-
Jacko29
- Posts: 219
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
- Gender: Female
Claiming breaks
Thanks everyone. I claimed my break and apparently your not meant to as your suppose to take it but he said everyone does it so all is good.
-
DrSatan
- Posts: 144
- Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
- Gender: Male
Claiming breaks
Breaks are your entitlement, use them or lose them. Never give them FREE labour!
I find the majority don't take breaks because they are stuck in the job and knock frame of mind. Or just want to get home that little bit earlier.
The majority I work with that don't take breaks are happy to take one when I say I want one. You may find if you speak up they will have a break with you.
If they try to persuade you to give up your break then your going to just have to stand your ground and tell them your having your break whether they like it or not.
I work with someone that packs his bags then packs his partners while his partner has his break!
I find the majority don't take breaks because they are stuck in the job and knock frame of mind. Or just want to get home that little bit earlier.
The majority I work with that don't take breaks are happy to take one when I say I want one. You may find if you speak up they will have a break with you.
If they try to persuade you to give up your break then your going to just have to stand your ground and tell them your having your break whether they like it or not.
I work with someone that packs his bags then packs his partners while his partner has his break!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Claiming breaks
JUST TAKE IT