ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal mail podiatry

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by kingeric »

Surely this would make sense to employ a few podiatrist and base them in the larger mail centres?

I remember there used to be a nurses office in Manchester mail centre for you to do a medical.

But surely it would be cheaper and more efficient to employ a few podiatrist across the country to help the work force. They could sort out nail problems, corns, supply insoles.....

In the past 3 years or so I know a few people that have been paid off at other offices for foot problems and in the last 12 months we have had possibly a third of the office go off sick or on light duties with foot problems.

Surely it makes sense to have in house podiatry with no waiting lists and immediate care or is that admitting they have a problem?

I would love to see the figures of the % of sick directly linked to good problems that could have been solved
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by yubin282 »

They should have a doctor that comes round delivery offices and checks us over physically and mentally. RM wouldn't want that because most of us would be on long term sick.

Do they still have the people checking you metabolic age?
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by rubberbond »

Whilst that is a very good idea and could possibly help,reduce sickness absence by identifying problems early on , where are we going to find the time to visit a footcare pofessional? There is barely enough time to do the job in hand, without taking half an hour out on top.
Some of the feet problems and related issues are undoubtedly down to the appalling quality of the footwear , which to use a well worn phrase ,"aren't fit for purpose," perhaps they should start there.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by kingeric »

Totally agree about the shoes not being fit for purpose.

But if the choice is potentially having a few weeks/months off of giving someone a few hours off to visit a podiatrist I think there's no choice.

They manage to cover union rep meetings or indoor rehab work so I don't think it's a problem. Or you even pay someone a couple of hours OT to visit one on a day off if the person is happy to do that.

I do think it's something that should be invested in though
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by Chris413 »

Problem is it's not just feet problems, I am suffering with shin splints at the moment, walking the round is nearly crippling me at the moment.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by LaggyBand »

I remember Red Bull visiting our DO once, handing out free cans before delivery.

Was about fifteen years ago and the closest thing I’ve ever seen to what you’re asking for.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by kingeric »

Chris413 wrote:Problem is it's not just feet problems, I am suffering with shin splints at the moment, walking the round is nearly crippling me at the moment.

There's a strong possibility that is linked to feet though. So an insight podiatrist could help and would cost nothing to you as RM are already picking up their salary.
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by Chris413 »

kingeric wrote:
Chris413 wrote:Problem is it's not just feet problems, I am suffering with shin splints at the moment, walking the round is nearly crippling me at the moment.

There's a strong possibility that is linked to feet though. So an insight podiatrist could help and would cost nothing to you as RM are already picking up their salary.
That's what I meant, having a podiatrist will help also with the shin splint problem as well.
the cheshire elf
Posts: 21
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:05
Gender: Male

Royal mail podiatry

Post by the cheshire elf »

Royal fail aren't interested in your well being your just a number I had many problem with my feet all they wanted to do was I'll heath retire me never offered any help so in in the end I took it and now I work cleaning aircraft feet are a hell off a lot better and you get treated with respect