ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sore feet, any advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
macca73
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Oct 2017, 10:50
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by macca73 »

I'm struggling with sore feet at the moment, and probably a lot of it is to do with the hot weather. Skin on the underside of my toes, especially, is burning, red in colour, and painful. But just wanted some advice from those that have worked through the hot weeks/months on how to take care of my kippers. I generally wear the RM trainers (Black and Red). I wear ankle socks, but they are not 100% cotton.
It has been suggested to wear 100% cotton socks and use some foot powder, or lightweight general trainers which allow more air to my feet. Maybe a daft question to ask, but any feedback appreciated.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Postie45 »

no, you dont want cotton socks, they absorb moisture and then inside a shoe it has nowhere to evaporate, very bad idea and will make your problems worse. Maybe invest in some marathon runners type sock, i think theyre more expensive, so maybe try one pair and see how you get on.
Last edited by Postie45 on 05 Jul 2018, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
Slugpaul
Posts: 7
Joined: 23 Sep 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Slugpaul »

I had the clown shoes, I had nothing but problems with them rubbing my toes and and general discomfort. They are now living under my frame never to be worn again...
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

Sore feet, any advice

Post by woking »

I've suffered for years with corns,sore feet & shoes rubbing my little toe.ive tried all footwear & the only ones I get on with are magnum shoes they are much wider so have more room for the feet & don't rub,also I use memory foam insoles,I've just got some lightly padded walking socks that are breathable so fingers crossed that'll keep my feet cool
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Rapidryan88 »

I’m a newbie and some things that helped me are:

Breathable ankle socks
48 quid sketchers with memory foam, my Royal Mail shoes never arrived and I’ve heard they’re heavy and horrible. My sketchers have been great.
Magnesium flakes for a bath, they’re amazing and after a hard day I used them for the first time and felt like I had new legs. Magnesium deficiency causes muscle weakness and fatigue, I am pretty badly deficient in it so bought some capsules and waiting on them.
Foot bath also very good
postie1865
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Jul 2017, 12:50
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by postie1865 »

I used to have all kinds of foot problems - blisters, cuts, bruising, peeling skin. For the last few months I have worn two pairs of socks and have had no problems at all.
broughts
Posts: 334
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 19:09
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by broughts »

Extra pair of insoles in red black shoes u will have no more problems
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Rapidryan88 »

postie1865 wrote:I used to have all kinds of foot problems - blisters, cuts, bruising, peeling skin. For the last few months I have worn two pairs of socks and have had no problems at all.
In this weather your feet must be pretty rancid with 2 pairs on lol
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Tomolo208 »

Things start to hurt more for me when I put on a few extra pounds.

Best advice I can give is to eat healthy for a couple of weeks. The difference I feel on all of my joints is worth missing out on the chocolate and corner shop snacks.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by hothothot »

Start off wearing two pairs of socks and when your about halfway round change your socks for a fresh pair , it stops them getting sweaty. The only thing is you get through about twenty pairs a week.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Decky Boy »

I'm afraid sore feet goes with the territory. Your a postie :wink:

You can mitigate things somewhat by finding a boot or shoe that works best for you.

Have you tried the magnum boots ? You benefit from ankle support in these but of course they can feel hot at this time of year. I find a cushioned hillwalking sock helps. Wash your feet regularly and apply talcum powder. Keep your toenails well trimmed and attend to any fungal infections at the earliest opportunity.

I don't use cushioned insoles but am considering doing so. Others on this Forum may be best to advise here ?

Any recommendations ?
Last edited by Decky Boy on 07 Jul 2018, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Joe B »

postie1865 wrote:I used to have all kinds of foot problems - blisters, cuts, bruising, peeling skin. For the last few months I have worn two pairs of socks and have had no problems at all.
Same here, I wear two pairs of socks and cushion insoles.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Sore feet, any advice

Post by DirtyHarry »

There were good reasons why delivery spans were a maximum 2.5 hours back in the day.

The innumerable different injuries 4/6 hour delivery spans are certain to cause workers, being but one.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by wacko74 »

My feet have never been more sore than they currently are in this heat wave, the problem is once your feet are sore you start walking awkwardly and unnaturally so that then puts stress on the rest of your legs... knees, calf muscles, ankles also become very painful
Chris413
Posts: 71
Joined: 13 Jul 2018, 07:52
Gender: Male

Sore feet, any advice

Post by Chris413 »

I decided to buy my own footwear. I bought some Salomon walking shoes in grey, helped a lot. But now a new problem as I have just started suffering from shin splints. Could barely walk yesterday on my round.