ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Hard routes
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
anyone else feel it’s pretty unfair that some trainees get shoved on really hard routes? In my office the majority of people from my training are all on pretty tough 10 mile walks and I just saw one poor guy still walking around at 3:40 on his own meanwhile a guy near me is done every day by 12 and in the bookies until he deems it fit to go back and that just angers me. As a trainee coming in to a 10mile + route seems absolutely ridiculous especially when the majority of new recruits just aren’t used to that (especially in 25-30 degree heat)
-
pex
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
When a management audit is done and the PDA data is looked at, it will show the guy in the bookies instead of on route moving at a steady pace.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Thanks for the reply.pex wrote:When a management audit is done and the PDA data is looked at, it will show the guy in the bookies instead of on route moving at a steady pace.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
I’m yet to have a break because everyone I work with just wants to get it done so today 30 degrees 5 hours solid non stop walking it’s very hard for new people.
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Hard routes
I feel your pain - I still haven't been able to take a break... Also being put on new walks without any training - longest look me 7.5 hours.Rapidryan88 wrote:Thanks for the reply.pex wrote:When a management audit is done and the PDA data is looked at, it will show the guy in the bookies instead of on route moving at a steady pace.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
I’m yet to have a break because everyone I work with just wants to get it done so today 30 degrees 5 hours solid non stop walking it’s very hard for new people.
Being sent to a completely different office to 'help out' tomorrow. Thats code I think for 'we'll give you all the rubbish in the hope you quit'
I'm part time yet overtime appears compulsory. I'm at breaking point.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Bless you, I feel for you. My manager has been great and put me on an ok route for 4 weeks while all my other trainee colleagues are being shipped about.DaisyDoodles wrote:I feel your pain - I still haven't been able to take a break... Also being put on new walks without any training - longest look me 7.5 hours.Rapidryan88 wrote:Thanks for the reply.pex wrote:When a management audit is done and the PDA data is looked at, it will show the guy in the bookies instead of on route moving at a steady pace.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
I’m yet to have a break because everyone I work with just wants to get it done so today 30 degrees 5 hours solid non stop walking it’s very hard for new people.
Being sent to a completely different office to 'help out' tomorrow. Thats code I think for 'we'll give you all the rubbish in the hope you quit'
I'm part time yet overtime appears compulsory. I'm at breaking point.
If you’re struggling tell a manager, I’m sure they’d rather you be happy than have someone quit. I find the prepping the hardest, I haven’t picked up overtime cause I don’t need it so when I come in at 9:30 and need to do some bagging up I’m lost lol stick with it just have a word with your manager
-
Islander
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Three of us part timmers came intoday at 9.30 to find that no parcels had been prepped for us, There were thee sackfuls each and still some mail and small packets to prep, do the re-directs and get specials and such, and yet the full timers were gone or going out the door. We were also told to take our lapsing with us, the lapsing I couldn't complete yesterday was handed back to me today as well.
We spoke to the manager and rep and just took the tracked, its always the same when there is a acting manager in full timers only worry about their walks.
One of the other part timmers didn't leave the office yesterday untill 11.15 as he had to prep his own round.
We spoke to the manager and rep and just took the tracked, its always the same when there is a acting manager in full timers only worry about their walks.
One of the other part timmers didn't leave the office yesterday untill 11.15 as he had to prep his own round.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Wow that’s horrible! Are you guys on single man walks? My office is predominantly double man so a full timer would have most of it done by the time someone else comes at 9:30. Only time I can imagine doing it myself is on a single man walk with a big trolleyIslander wrote:Three of us part timmers came intoday at 9.30 to find that no parcels had been prepped for us, There were thee sackfuls each and still some mail and small packets to prep, do the re-directs and get specials and such, and yet the full timers were gone or going out the door. We were also told to take our lapsing with us, the lapsing I couldn't complete yesterday was handed back to me today as well.
We spoke to the manager and rep and just took the tracked, its always the same when there is a acting manager in full timers only worry about their walks.
One of the other part timmers didn't leave the office yesterday untill 11.15 as he had to prep his own round.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Gotta feel for the newbs these days.
Apply for a 20 hour pt contract to suit your lifestyle then get plonked on a full time round that no one wants cos it’s fecking huge. It’s delivery only, and everyone else is flying out the door when you walk in so there’s barely any opportunity to get to know any of your colleagues or ask for advice.
Apply for a 20 hour pt contract to suit your lifestyle then get plonked on a full time round that no one wants cos it’s fecking huge. It’s delivery only, and everyone else is flying out the door when you walk in so there’s barely any opportunity to get to know any of your colleagues or ask for advice.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
There is a tendency for posties to receive better treatment if they are sent to a different office. Make sure that the DOM arranges transport to and from the other office for you. This has to happen within duty time and you go to your own office first. Also some other offices start later so it all adds up to doing less work for you to do. I realise it's a **** being sent to another office and it hasn't happened to for about eighteen years. When it did it gave me the opportunity to transfer to the other office and get my own walk. So there can be silver linings when situations that initially seem bad end up in a brighter future.DaisyDoodles wrote:I feel your pain - I still haven't been able to take a break... Also being put on new walks without any training - longest look me 7.5 hours.Rapidryan88 wrote:Thanks for the reply.pex wrote:When a management audit is done and the PDA data is looked at, it will show the guy in the bookies instead of on route moving at a steady pace.
Audits are happening and will not only get the lazy ones but will drop the management in it for letting it happen.
When everyone starts at the correct time instead of starting early unpaid and takes at least the minimum break time then we would get a true picture of how
difficult each walk is and hopefully end up with more balanced walks.
Breaks are required to be taken and enshrined in law, if you have an accident on your way back to the office for example, not having had a rest period it could perhaps be used against you.
Good advice in this weather is to have your rest, if you go over then you claim overtime.
My office alternates with a easy route some weeks and then the crappy route for people without a regular walk.
I’m yet to have a break because everyone I work with just wants to get it done so today 30 degrees 5 hours solid non stop walking it’s very hard for new people.
Being sent to a completely different office to 'help out' tomorrow. Thats code I think for 'we'll give you all the rubbish in the hope you quit'
I'm part time yet overtime appears compulsory. I'm at breaking point.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
Yep exactly mate. Surely I’d youre really struggling you just let your manager know and they’d just move you? Surely they’d rather you be moved than quit?Jpro747 wrote:Gotta feel for the newbs these days.
Apply for a 20 hour pt contract to suit your lifestyle then get plonked on a full time round that no one wants cos it’s fecking huge. It’s delivery only, and everyone else is flying out the door when you walk in so there’s barely any opportunity to get to know any of your colleagues or ask for advice.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Hard routes
I know most new folk find it really difficult to do, but what you need to do is don’t stress, tell your manager you can only work your hours, and then...do that.