ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Start times
-
Hnscott
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 21:47
- Gender: Female
Start times
There has been a lot of discussion about start times in my office. Part timers are no longer allowed to start early unless they have been asked to by a manager. Which is fair enough. I would usually start around 30 minutes early because part timers in my office are moved around on different walks so often that it’s difficult to learn a frame/walk well. Now that I have been starting at my contacted time there has been days when literally not one thing is in my frame. I will come in at 8.30 and other people are starting to tie off and get ready to leave whilst I stand there with literally no work done for me. As I understand I should only be prepping my packets and redirections. This is never the case. And management don’t seem to care in the slightest. I would rather start early so I am not behind everyone else in the office. Anyone else have issues like this?
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Start times
Lots of people do, its bad planning.
Don't be a mug and work for free, come in on your start time and if there is not enough time to do your duty then cut off or ask to claim the overtime if you want that option!
Don't be a mug and work for free, come in on your start time and if there is not enough time to do your duty then cut off or ask to claim the overtime if you want that option!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
nuns
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Start times
all the time, its a joke no one should be able to leave until its all done.
( i just go slow getting ready , make sure i have a nice sit down doing d2ds then claim the OT for going over so dont lose out ££££ as much)
part timers are meant to be treated same as full timers apparently.
plus dont start early , start on time. wait and see how many tracked missorts you have and the postman has already left....

( i just go slow getting ready , make sure i have a nice sit down doing d2ds then claim the OT for going over so dont lose out ££££ as much)
part timers are meant to be treated same as full timers apparently.
plus dont start early , start on time. wait and see how many tracked missorts you have and the postman has already left....
Last edited by nuns on 28 Jun 2018, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
-
Hnscott
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 21:47
- Gender: Female
Start times
The times I have asked to cut my walk it turns into an argument and managers will literally beg you just to take it all. It gets awkward and annoying when they won’t take no for an answer. As for claiming overtime, 9 times out of 10 I am not paid my overtime when I am due it. Running theme in my office. Which again turns into a fight to get what I am entitled to.POSTMAN wrote:Lots of people do, its bad planning.
Don't be a mug and work for free, come in on your start time and if there is not enough time to do your duty then cut off or ask to claim the overtime if you want that option!
-
nuns
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Start times
make sure you make note of all your OT and if wrong ask for a print out from line manager ... make sure you sign in and out also so times on there
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Start times
I understand your position Hnscott. But must tell you the manager is simply taking advantage of your weakness. You don't ask to cut-off - you insist on cutting-off. As for not being paid overtime you a) don't do any more and b) put in a grievanceHnscott wrote:The times I have asked to cut my walk it turns into an argument and managers will literally beg you just to take it all. It gets awkward and annoying when they won’t take no for an answer. As for claiming overtime, 9 times out of 10 I am not paid my overtime when I am due it. Running theme in my office. Which again turns into a fight to get what I am entitled to.POSTMAN wrote:Lots of people do, its bad planning.
Don't be a mug and work for free, come in on your start time and if there is not enough time to do your duty then cut off or ask to claim the overtime if you want that option!
And if there is nothing in the frame always remember - the longer you spend indoors the less time you spend outdoors on delivery.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Start times
im going to put this bluntly - youre a mug for doing this, reason #1 you give them is you havent been paid overtime so you refuse to go over. Theres no argument they can give to this, stick by your guns, maybe see your CWU rep.Hnscott wrote:The times I have asked to cut my walk it turns into an argument and managers will literally beg you just to take it all. It gets awkward and annoying when they won’t take no for an answer. As for claiming overtime, 9 times out of 10 I am not paid my overtime when I am due it. Running theme in my office. Which again turns into a fight to get what I am entitled to.POSTMAN wrote:Lots of people do, its bad planning.
Don't be a mug and work for free, come in on your start time and if there is not enough time to do your duty then cut off or ask to claim the overtime if you want that option!
-
readingpete
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
Start times
In our office I’m one of only THREE people who start on time and one of those isn’t our rep! Rep preps his d2d’s the day before too and then says others should “do the job properly”.
We also have people who start an hour and forty five minutes early!
We also have people who start an hour and forty five minutes early!
-
davidwez
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 15 Nov 2015, 11:18
- Gender: Male
Start times
People that start early for free are mugs..your pda's are tracking where you are..sooner or later you will be asked to take more out if you keep coming back early surely? :/ and surely cutting off is really working your contracted hours..?
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Start times
Same here, I'm one of a small handful at the signing in bench at half nine. Even then I see ten o clock starts signing in or already there and when I say hi, starting early? They reply yeah, the full timer I'm with moans if I start at ten. Hope you're claiming it then and it's all oh yeah, course I am, but a glance at the docket when I sign my extra says otherwise.readingpete wrote:In our office I’m one of only THREE people who start on time and one of those isn’t our rep! Rep preps his d2d’s the day before too and then says others should “do the job properly”.
We also have people who start an hour and forty five minutes early!
I had this when I was a reserve, full timers grumbling at me to come in earlier. I just smiled and said yeah, get the DOM to agree the docket and I'll get here early enough to open the f***ing place up, if you want but I know some people don't like confrontation and just want a quiet life.
Not all bullying and harrassment comes from management unfortunately.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Start times
Maybe not completely relevant this but noticed someone mention D2D. I am someone who starts on time, okay, maybe I enter the building 5 minutes early. Enough time to sign in, fill my bottle with water from the water dispenser and grab redirections. This morning I was challenged by someone who told me, you're in early. I replied, yes, I am 5 minutes early, but in the 20 minutes I've been sat in the car outside, I've watched nearly a dozen part timers entering the building, and would you believe it, the majority of them where already 3/4 of the way through bagging up their walks. These are the same people who come back early and complain when the management tell them to take some of the lapsing that has been left.
I have discovered that if I come back to the office 20 minutes early on a Tuesday or Saturday, when volume isn't heavy, and DOM is waiting at the door tapping his watch saying "there's lapsing to go out there", I tell him that I'm going to prep D2D for the following day until my finish time. He is happy to let me do that. Only once has he told me that I must take left over lapsing, I told him that I'll do the lapsing but I'll see him in the morning about not having time to prep D2D. He backed down instantly, and nabbed the next person that rolled back into the yard.
I understand that D2D should be done during prep in the morning, but as far as I see it, if I'm coming back early, which is very rarely more than 2 days a week, then I'm more than happy to stay til my time to prep D2D.
I have discovered that if I come back to the office 20 minutes early on a Tuesday or Saturday, when volume isn't heavy, and DOM is waiting at the door tapping his watch saying "there's lapsing to go out there", I tell him that I'm going to prep D2D for the following day until my finish time. He is happy to let me do that. Only once has he told me that I must take left over lapsing, I told him that I'll do the lapsing but I'll see him in the morning about not having time to prep D2D. He backed down instantly, and nabbed the next person that rolled back into the yard.
I understand that D2D should be done during prep in the morning, but as far as I see it, if I'm coming back early, which is very rarely more than 2 days a week, then I'm more than happy to stay til my time to prep D2D.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Start times
Managers need to manage they should be on the floor making sure the part time walks are prepped before walks are being tied down only by not completing will that change and thats a pity because we all want to deliver a great service.
-
readingpete
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 21 Jul 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
Start times
ScousePostie wrote:Maybe not completely relevant this but noticed someone mention D2D. I am someone who starts on time, okay, maybe I enter the building 5 minutes early. Enough time to sign in, fill my bottle with water from the water dispenser and grab redirections. This morning I was challenged by someone who told me, you're in early. I replied, yes, I am 5 minutes early, but in the 20 minutes I've been sat in the car outside, I've watched nearly a dozen part timers entering the building, and would you believe it, the majority of them where already 3/4 of the way through bagging up their walks. These are the same people who come back early and complain when the management tell them to take some of the lapsing that has been left.
I have discovered that if I come back to the office 20 minutes early on a Tuesday or Saturday, when volume isn't heavy, and DOM is waiting at the door tapping his watch saying "there's lapsing to go out there", I tell him that I'm going to prep D2D for the following day until my finish time. He is happy to let me do that. Only once has he told me that I must take left over lapsing, I told him that I'll do the lapsing but I'll see him in the morning about not having time to prep D2D. He backed down instantly, and nabbed the next person that rolled back into the yard.
I understand that D2D should be done during prep in the morning, but as far as I see it, if I'm coming back early, which is very rarely more than 2 days a week, then I'm more than happy to stay til my time to prep D2D.
No issue with you on this. Our rep doesn’t have to take anything else out as he’s already done his lapsing before delivery and can go straight home. As I said he goes around telling others to do the job properly and when I point this out to him he says “if you can’t beat em...join em!”. He then goes around putting up CWU posters telling people to do the job properly.
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Start times
i despair at some people, our d/o has been in turmoil forever it feels, we still have 90-95% who don't take an indoor break, granted some may do outdoor but when i ask some, they just say "we won't get done if we do"
now lapsing is in full swing they're moaning even more, lets say 20 mins X 5 = 1hr 40 p/w, £18ish GIVEN AWAY! or £850 per year, that's a decent holiday abroad thrown in the skip if they choose to book it, which they cannot by forfeiting their break
what beggars more belief is some (paid) come in early to sort, thus ensuing lapsing can and must be done (along with doms working)
it will never happen which is a shame, but what if nobody, paid or unpaid started early and finished to time for a full week, not industrial action but just say, sorry, i can't this week, maybe next?
ours would be in meltdown
now lapsing is in full swing they're moaning even more, lets say 20 mins X 5 = 1hr 40 p/w, £18ish GIVEN AWAY! or £850 per year, that's a decent holiday abroad thrown in the skip if they choose to book it, which they cannot by forfeiting their break
what beggars more belief is some (paid) come in early to sort, thus ensuing lapsing can and must be done (along with doms working)
it will never happen which is a shame, but what if nobody, paid or unpaid started early and finished to time for a full week, not industrial action but just say, sorry, i can't this week, maybe next?
ours would be in meltdown
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Start times
it would cause short term issues for the office, but the DOM is just going to hire more PT, so less OT for those people that rely on it, so probably not a good idea. If people want to work for free... i guess thats their choice, just dont do it yourself.