ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Injury at work & warning
-
Sala101
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 11:45
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
Hi Guys,
I was on a walk a few weeks ago when i had a sharp pain in my ankle, I finished the walk but by the next day was in a lot of discomfort. I still went in to work and informed my line manager that I had an issue with my ankle but was told I still had to go on the days walk. By the time I got to the 3rd loop on the walk I was in agony and my buddy had seen enough so took me back to the depot. I went and saw a doctor who diagnosed that I had a tear in a tendon and that rest was required, he suggested signing me off for 6 weeks but I asked to be signed off weekly as i was hoping to be back on my feet asap plus sitting about would drive me mad. After 2 weeks I returned to work on light duties as my ankle was (and still is) in a bad way. Today I have been hit with a stage 1 warning for the time off I had with the injury (I have been told that this is automatic and that there's nothing the my line manager or DOM can do about it)!!! Prior to this my sick record is decent. I am also paying for private physio to speed up my recovery. I'm not in the union so just want any advice as to how to deal with this as i'm not just willing to take it on the chin especially as the initial injury got much worse after doctor line manager sent me out.
Cheers in advance.
I was on a walk a few weeks ago when i had a sharp pain in my ankle, I finished the walk but by the next day was in a lot of discomfort. I still went in to work and informed my line manager that I had an issue with my ankle but was told I still had to go on the days walk. By the time I got to the 3rd loop on the walk I was in agony and my buddy had seen enough so took me back to the depot. I went and saw a doctor who diagnosed that I had a tear in a tendon and that rest was required, he suggested signing me off for 6 weeks but I asked to be signed off weekly as i was hoping to be back on my feet asap plus sitting about would drive me mad. After 2 weeks I returned to work on light duties as my ankle was (and still is) in a bad way. Today I have been hit with a stage 1 warning for the time off I had with the injury (I have been told that this is automatic and that there's nothing the my line manager or DOM can do about it)!!! Prior to this my sick record is decent. I am also paying for private physio to speed up my recovery. I'm not in the union so just want any advice as to how to deal with this as i'm not just willing to take it on the chin especially as the initial injury got much worse after doctor line manager sent me out.
Cheers in advance.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
This is an injury at work and should not be liable to any stages under the attendance agreement. If your doctor signs you off for 6 weeks you should stay off for that period. You will get no brownie points for going against your doctor's fit note. As you have found out by going against the fit note.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
I tripped at work and it still triggered a stage, was told I wasn't paying attention so it was my fault

-
rottathehutlet
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:03
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
I broke my ankle on duty and was still issued with a stage. They know they shouldn't do it, but they're too scared of their bosses...
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
They push because we don't push back. reps view is that they'll deal with it at stage 3.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3288
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
but hes no in the cwu
-
gunho
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
Simple. Join the union to get the help you need. No union, no help
-
westy23
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
Sorry but It has to be said.
Joining the union twat.
Joining the union twat.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
ITS IS NOT AUTOMATIC
YOUR DOM IS A LIAR
GOD THIS BOILS MY BLOOD!!!!
Contact unionline about a possible claim against him I would. Could have made it worse by ordering you to do a full delivery and you take off as much time sick as you need otherwise it’ll hurt the rest of your life I know I’ve been there
YOUR DOM IS A LIAR
GOD THIS BOILS MY BLOOD!!!!
Contact unionline about a possible claim against him I would. Could have made it worse by ordering you to do a full delivery and you take off as much time sick as you need otherwise it’ll hurt the rest of your life I know I’ve been there
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
Scrap that you’re not in the union good luck
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
I’d ask them to prove itJustanotherstar wrote:I tripped at work and it still triggered a stage, was told I wasn't paying attention so it was my fault![]()
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
Why is he a twat for not being in union. thousands of posties are not in it. are they all twatswesty23 wrote:Sorry but It has to be said.
Joining the union twat.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
For what it's worth my rep got my threat of stage 1 overturned following being off long term recovering from knee surgery (12 weeks non weight bearing on crutches)...
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Injury at work & warning
Good grief! Is this what I can look forward to?
My ankle gave way yesterday and I took a tumble... Grazed, bloody knees the lot. Carried on with my round. Asked my buddy about reporting it as I'm relatively new and was advised that as I wasn't wearing RM issue shoes they won't want to know. No managers at Do to report it to
Fast forward overnight and ankle is visibly swollen and bruised,so pull on a pair of Magnum Boots to support it. Speak in passing to a Manager and tell him what happened... No form filling in though.
Did my round, ankle is killing me and I'm hobbling and slow. End up at local Minor Injuries Unit who triage me and then send me to the big hospital ED department as their XRay machine team clocks off at 5pm. Nigh on 5 hours later at ED after Xrays,diagnosed with badly sprained ankle,issued crutches and told to keep weight off it until swelling goes down. I am now bricking it tomorrow...obvs can't do my round. Do I go all martyr and rock up as is,or stand firm and take the corporate telling off for having a few days sick with it. Hospital didn't issue a note for work.
Help!
My ankle gave way yesterday and I took a tumble... Grazed, bloody knees the lot. Carried on with my round. Asked my buddy about reporting it as I'm relatively new and was advised that as I wasn't wearing RM issue shoes they won't want to know. No managers at Do to report it to
Fast forward overnight and ankle is visibly swollen and bruised,so pull on a pair of Magnum Boots to support it. Speak in passing to a Manager and tell him what happened... No form filling in though.
Did my round, ankle is killing me and I'm hobbling and slow. End up at local Minor Injuries Unit who triage me and then send me to the big hospital ED department as their XRay machine team clocks off at 5pm. Nigh on 5 hours later at ED after Xrays,diagnosed with badly sprained ankle,issued crutches and told to keep weight off it until swelling goes down. I am now bricking it tomorrow...obvs can't do my round. Do I go all martyr and rock up as is,or stand firm and take the corporate telling off for having a few days sick with it. Hospital didn't issue a note for work.
Help!
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Injury at work & warning
for meDaisyDoodles wrote:Good grief! Is this what I can look forward to?
My ankle gave way yesterday and I took a tumble... Grazed, bloody knees the lot. Carried on with my round. Asked my buddy about reporting it as I'm relatively new and was advised that as I wasn't wearing RM issue shoes they won't want to know. No managers at Do to report it to
Fast forward overnight and ankle is visibly swollen and bruised,so pull on a pair of Magnum Boots to support it. Speak in passing to a Manager and tell him what happened... No form filling in though.
Did my round, ankle is killing me and I'm hobbling and slow. End up at local Minor Injuries Unit who triage me and then send me to the big hospital ED department as their XRay machine team clocks off at 5pm. Nigh on 5 hours later at ED after Xrays,diagnosed with badly sprained ankle,issued crutches and told to keep weight off it until swelling goes down. I am now bricking it tomorrow...obvs can't do my round. Do I go all martyr and rock up as is,or stand firm and take the corporate telling off for having a few days sick with it. Hospital didn't issue a note for work.
Help!
a) ring in before your start time and explain the circumstances and that you won't be in.
b) insist on the accident at work procedure being followed.
c) arrange an appointment with your GP