Hello Folks,
Just an issue I raised last night, and somehow got pulled aside for by a couple of managers.
Two new colleagues approached me and enquired what a 318 was, so myself and another found them in the file on the shop floor and a manager happily copied them for both.
Another work colleague was passing and knew he'd had issue with a complaint against him for not fulfilling his duty, so I mentioned looking over his 318 to help him show that what he was doing was completely compliant. He seemed a bit irritated and pretty much said he just does what a manager tells him. To which I replied that he needed to be familiar with both his contracted duties and 318, in case of an event where he'd be pulled up on it (such as an accident etc).
Later his mate came over and said that they'd signed their contracts but didn't bother reading them, and didn't really know or care what a 318 was. I asked him if he reads his health and safety stuff either (which we sign as well) and he said "no mate". I replied that if that were the case and something bad happened, the Union may not be able to help him because he'd signed off on these things without checking them first.
The upshot was that he decided to go and tell two managers that I was bothering him. Luckily when I explained what it was about they both agreed to put a reminder in this weeks brief to ensure people were reading and understanding everything in their contracts, 318's etc.
I'm looking at filling the Union Rep role here (as we don't have one in our work area right now), and I'm finding this sort of thing quite common. We already had a guy fired previously for a similar Health and Safety issue.
Did I do the right thing? Or am I just making a storm in a tea cup, and bothering folks unnecessarily?
Thanks in advance!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
-
Jeff Vader
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:54
- Gender: Male
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Become the rep, now! You are ideal.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Learn who the pr**s are and leave them to it. its s**t being a rep and some folk would sell you down the river soon as look at you. Most folk only want you to step in and act for them when they come into conflict with the screws, being proactive just elicits sighs and the rolling of eyes.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Jeff Vader
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:54
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Thanks Redneck! I'm trying :)
Yeah, I've already had the eye rolling from the few. But I'm determined to stick with it.
Luckily some (actually the majority) have been really supportive.
Yeah, I've already had the eye rolling from the few. But I'm determined to stick with it.
Luckily some (actually the majority) have been really supportive.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Sounds to me like you would make a great rep.
Don’t know who it was, but someone on here said it best..
Being the office rep is like trying to herd cats.
Don’t know who it was, but someone on here said it best..
Being the office rep is like trying to herd cats.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Yes it does seem to be a bit of a poison chalice ,but a must in this currant climate,management should be working with you and not spoiling for a fight every time on any issues,if I were starting again vi would go for it,but now in the later days of my time with Royal Mail,I simply don’t have the time or energy,and of course you have to have the backing of guys in your unit which as we know isn’t easy
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Perhaps proving a point here but: what the heck is a 318?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 56&t=68169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Glossary
318 Old name for a walk log. It details breaks, start and finish time and other information specific to that duty
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Reading the Paperwork: 318's, H+S and contracts
Ah, a walk log! Newbie (relatively) 