ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie struggling
-
Amethyst1978
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Newbie struggling
Hi everyone,
I started as a postwoman last week. I had my induction on Monday, 3 days training and then have been out on my own since. I’m on a rural route with lots of driving between the houses. Friday I finished 2 hours over my time, Monday wasn’t so bad as I was only 30 minutes over, but again today I was 2 and a half hours late. I’m prepping the frame myself and am still quite slow. Today I got myself so stressed I made loads of mistakes. I’m working flat out all day but I still can’t see how I am ever going to finish by 2.40. Everyone says it will get better but just wondered what others have experienced. How long does it take to get up to speed?
I started as a postwoman last week. I had my induction on Monday, 3 days training and then have been out on my own since. I’m on a rural route with lots of driving between the houses. Friday I finished 2 hours over my time, Monday wasn’t so bad as I was only 30 minutes over, but again today I was 2 and a half hours late. I’m prepping the frame myself and am still quite slow. Today I got myself so stressed I made loads of mistakes. I’m working flat out all day but I still can’t see how I am ever going to finish by 2.40. Everyone says it will get better but just wondered what others have experienced. How long does it take to get up to speed?
-
Amethyst1978
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Newbie struggling
Hi everyone,
I started as a postwoman last week. I had my induction on Monday, 3 days training and then have been out on my own since. I’m on a rural route with lots of driving between the houses. Friday I finished 2 hours over my time, Monday wasn’t so bad as I was only 30 minutes over, but again today I was 2 and a half hours late. I’m prepping the frame myself and am still quite slow. Today I got myself so stressed I made loads of mistakes. I’m working flat out all day but I still can’t see how I am ever going to finish by 2.40. Everyone says it will get better but just wondered what others have experienced. How long does it take to get up to speed?
I started as a postwoman last week. I had my induction on Monday, 3 days training and then have been out on my own since. I’m on a rural route with lots of driving between the houses. Friday I finished 2 hours over my time, Monday wasn’t so bad as I was only 30 minutes over, but again today I was 2 and a half hours late. I’m prepping the frame myself and am still quite slow. Today I got myself so stressed I made loads of mistakes. I’m working flat out all day but I still can’t see how I am ever going to finish by 2.40. Everyone says it will get better but just wondered what others have experienced. How long does it take to get up to speed?
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Hang on in there it will get easier as time goes on. Don't stress it makes things worse , try to relax. It's hard for all newbies. In a few weeks time your be up to speed. It was the same for all of us. Good luck keep smiling , don't let the bastard's grind you down.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
You are on a rural delivery so it's likely mostly house names. Walks with house names are a bother to learn but once you have learnt it there is less chance of mistakes than with walks that have multiple sets of numbered streets. Don't get stressed out over it if possible, be patient, and eventually you will get faster. Hopefully you get to stay on that rural for as long as possible.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Speed will come when prepping the frame! I would take my time on this and don’t rush this at getting this bit right saves so much time when out on delivery
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
I find it takes about 3 months to get up to speed; prepping is the most difficult part. It's daft they've put you on a rural straight away to be honest, they're much more difficult to get your head around. Don't give up though, rurals are propably the best duties once you are up and running. Good luck!
-
Kobi72
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Sorry to hear your struggling but it seems a bit crazy you are doing a rural in your 1st week,a walking round would have been a bit easier for you,have you joined the union? If not you sld do..ask for help of your fellow posties to help you with the frame & overtime is not compulsory..use the cut off procedure..if you need anymore help either message me on here or leave a comment,it does get better :)
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
What is your start and finish time? Plenty of new starters are put on full time rounds, but are only given part time hours. You may think you are 2 hours late, but in reality that could be how long your duty is.
If you are sorting your own mail, then relax, don't stress about being quick as it takes a couple of months to get anywhere close to the speed as the old pro's. I've been in the job a few years now and I still can't touch some of the fast sorters.
As for the delivery, I did a rural one once and took 2hrs 40 mins longer than it should have taken. It just depends on how lost you get, all the seconds add up massively over a day.
Stay positive, don't rush! You will get better, you will make mistakes. We're here if you ever need any advice.
If you are sorting your own mail, then relax, don't stress about being quick as it takes a couple of months to get anywhere close to the speed as the old pro's. I've been in the job a few years now and I still can't touch some of the fast sorters.
As for the delivery, I did a rural one once and took 2hrs 40 mins longer than it should have taken. It just depends on how lost you get, all the seconds add up massively over a day.
Stay positive, don't rush! You will get better, you will make mistakes. We're here if you ever need any advice.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
I’m not surprised you’re struggling - you were only given 3 days training on a rural! Tell your manager you feel like you’re struggling and ask if you can have some extra training on the round. The job gets easier, you’ll get quicker as you become more confident and your fitness improves. Usually after about 3-4 weeks it sinks in. Make sure to stop for a break and eat something, stay hydrated and keep as cool as you can in the heat. Are you getting paid for the overtime you’re doing? Don’t feel pressured into working over your time to complete the round if you don’t want to.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Newbie struggling
Newbies don't get single rural rounds in our office
-
plodplodplod
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 10 Nov 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
[quote="postietom"]I find it takes about 3 months to get up to speed;
and theres the problem because the established posties nowadays expect the noobs to be up to speed within a week otherwise they shall be classed as 'slow and rubbish' and slagged off so the management can hear.
and theres the problem because the established posties nowadays expect the noobs to be up to speed within a week otherwise they shall be classed as 'slow and rubbish' and slagged off so the management can hear.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Newbie struggling
Has anyone actually asked you if you want the extra hours? New starters tend to just do what they are told without question. I've seen loads who are confused that they are doing 39 hrs when they just signed up for 25 or 30.Amethyst1978 wrote: today I was 2 and a half hours late. I’m prepping the frame myself and am still quite slow.?
Management tend to assume that people want to do as many hrs as possible, when not everyone does.
I think the first step is to know what you are meant to be doing and how long it should take. You might be surprised to find that you aren't that slow, it's just that you are doing more than you should be doing.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Have you spoken to the walk holder to find out the best way to do the walk?
At least being on a solo delivery walk you don't have a colleague timing you to get a move on!
It does take a few months to get up to speed. Good luck
At least being on a solo delivery walk you don't have a colleague timing you to get a move on!
It does take a few months to get up to speed. Good luck
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
Stick with it, if u are a rural driver u are probably on your own, the worst thing RM did was bring in van sharing, find out from your manager how long u are on the job, if he says temporary ask if it’s a few weeks or semi permanent. Believe me and everybody on here rural jobs are the easiest jobs in any office. As for preparing your job in the morning it will get easier, I was told in the 80s after 2 weeks it is not working 4 u here, still there 31 years later.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Newbie struggling
3 days!? I’ve been with the company a week and I’m still going out with someone else and not driving