ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving test

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Driving test

Post by doorstepped »

you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.

it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.

looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by tommyrep »

:dance
doorstepped wrote:you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.

it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.

looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

doorstepped wrote:you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.

it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.

looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
Ah okay decent thanks mate, is that usually your day finished and you go home after cause one of the managers said “that will be your day” I just found it hard to believe I’d go home after an hour or so of driving lol someone else also said it but just don’t believe it
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Celgar »

Other than having to do it unpaid in your own time it's alright really. They say it takes four hours but you will likely be done much earlier than that. You will learn some interesting stuff such as how long alcohol takes to leave your body which will be much longer than you thought. Also which direction is better to reverse into in terms of visibility. So not something you really want to do but there are a few plus points.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by P13 »

Celgar wrote:Other than having to do it unpaid in your own time it's alright really. They say it takes four hours but you will likely be done much earlier than that. You will learn some interesting stuff such as how long alcohol takes to leave your body which will be much longer than you thought. Also which direction is better to reverse into in terms of visibility. So not something you really want to do but there are a few plus points.
You do not do it unpaid in your own time
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Celgar »

If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.

I knew someone was going to say that. :wink:
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by P13 »

Celgar wrote:If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.

I knew someone was going to say that. :wink:
no you don't and I know you post this work for free nonsense in most threads you reply to :)
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

P13 wrote:
Celgar wrote:If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.

I knew someone was going to say that. :wink:
no you don't and I know you post this work for free nonsense in most threads you reply to :)
My manager never said anything about unpaid so hopefully not true lol I’m new btw probably should have used a different word instead of test, assessment?
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Tinoblade »

Rapidryan88 wrote:Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
I did mine a couple I’ve weeks ago

It was ok, he asked me some questions regarding vans and speed limits and the usual DUI stuff
Went out in the van drove for around 30 mins unguided then he pointed out a couple of things to improve on (mine was not keeping hand on gear stick and having better road positioning)

Then I did half an hour where he literally tells you everything to do, when to touch the accelerator, when to break and change gear. I didn’t like that bit as it felt like he was telling me to break quite late on

Then a few reversing manoeuvres in the yard and that was that!

I think it probably depends on the instructor, mine went all right wing in the middle so I just stopped talking to him

I did go out for delivery after though. Did a couple of hours
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Tinoblade wrote:
Rapidryan88 wrote:Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
I did mine a couple I’ve weeks ago

It was ok, he asked me some questions regarding vans and speed limits and the usual DUI stuff
Went out in the van drove for around 30 mins unguided then he pointed out a couple of things to improve on (mine was not keeping hand on gear stick and having better road positioning)

Then I did half an hour where he literally tells you everything to do, when to touch the accelerator, when to break and change gear. I didn’t like that bit as it felt like he was telling me to break quite late on

Then a few reversing manoeuvres in the yard and that was that!

I think it probably depends on the instructor, mine went all right wing in the middle so I just stopped talking to him

I did go out for delivery after though. Did a couple of hours
Cheers for that mate, hahaha as if. Ah so I’ll expect to do some delivery then :) thanks buddy
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Xr4 »

Had me in at 6am so I could do a full delivery after!

No such thing as doing it unpaid in your own time in my office including if you've had an RTC, our managers actually remind you to put stuff down like travel etc.
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Joe B »

I did mine a few months ago and was worried before hand, again like you I had never driven a van. I can assure you it's nothing to worry about just drive safe and steady. I also went out on delivery afterwards. Hope this helps :thumbup
Wednesday
Posts: 143
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Wednesday »

If you are old like me you will find it very interesting and I thought after being on it everyone should have to do it when they reach a certain age.NOTHING to worry about!
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Driving test

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Appreciate the replies guys, my mind is at ease :) gonna be a long old day then!