ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driving test
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Driving test
you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.
it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.
it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Driving test
doorstepped wrote:you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.
it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Ah okay decent thanks mate, is that usually your day finished and you go home after cause one of the managers said “that will be your day” I just found it hard to believe I’d go home after an hour or so of driving lol someone else also said it but just don’t believe itdoorstepped wrote:you will be driving a Transit sized van and it is nothing to worry about.
you will be asjed to drive around by your trainer for an hour or so and will also watch video's etc.
it's not a test as such but an assesment to see if you are upto the standard to drive for RM.
looking at a lot of the vans in every yard, stevie wonder would pass so you will have no problems.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Other than having to do it unpaid in your own time it's alright really. They say it takes four hours but you will likely be done much earlier than that. You will learn some interesting stuff such as how long alcohol takes to leave your body which will be much longer than you thought. Also which direction is better to reverse into in terms of visibility. So not something you really want to do but there are a few plus points.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Driving test
You do not do it unpaid in your own timeCelgar wrote:Other than having to do it unpaid in your own time it's alright really. They say it takes four hours but you will likely be done much earlier than that. You will learn some interesting stuff such as how long alcohol takes to leave your body which will be much longer than you thought. Also which direction is better to reverse into in terms of visibility. So not something you really want to do but there are a few plus points.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Driving test
If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.
I knew someone was going to say that.
I knew someone was going to say that.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Driving test
no you don't and I know you post this work for free nonsense in most threads you reply to :)Celgar wrote:If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.
I knew someone was going to say that.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
My manager never said anything about unpaid so hopefully not true lol I’m new btw probably should have used a different word instead of test, assessment?P13 wrote:no you don't and I know you post this work for free nonsense in most threads you reply to :)Celgar wrote:If it is a driving test due to a blameworthy RTC then you have to do it after your duty time unpaid. Four hours is allowed but it gets done in less time especially if the instructor comes to the conclusion quickly that you are safe to return to driving for RM.
I knew someone was going to say that.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Driving test
I did mine a couple I’ve weeks agoRapidryan88 wrote:Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
It was ok, he asked me some questions regarding vans and speed limits and the usual DUI stuff
Went out in the van drove for around 30 mins unguided then he pointed out a couple of things to improve on (mine was not keeping hand on gear stick and having better road positioning)
Then I did half an hour where he literally tells you everything to do, when to touch the accelerator, when to break and change gear. I didn’t like that bit as it felt like he was telling me to break quite late on
Then a few reversing manoeuvres in the yard and that was that!
I think it probably depends on the instructor, mine went all right wing in the middle so I just stopped talking to him
I did go out for delivery after though. Did a couple of hours
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Cheers for that mate, hahaha as if. Ah so I’ll expect to do some delivery then :) thanks buddyTinoblade wrote:I did mine a couple I’ve weeks agoRapidryan88 wrote:Got my driving “test” tomorrow Can anyone let me know what it’s like and is it the big vans? Only ever driven a small car so little worried
It was ok, he asked me some questions regarding vans and speed limits and the usual DUI stuff
Went out in the van drove for around 30 mins unguided then he pointed out a couple of things to improve on (mine was not keeping hand on gear stick and having better road positioning)
Then I did half an hour where he literally tells you everything to do, when to touch the accelerator, when to break and change gear. I didn’t like that bit as it felt like he was telling me to break quite late on
Then a few reversing manoeuvres in the yard and that was that!
I think it probably depends on the instructor, mine went all right wing in the middle so I just stopped talking to him
I did go out for delivery after though. Did a couple of hours
-
Xr4
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Had me in at 6am so I could do a full delivery after!
No such thing as doing it unpaid in your own time in my office including if you've had an RTC, our managers actually remind you to put stuff down like travel etc.
No such thing as doing it unpaid in your own time in my office including if you've had an RTC, our managers actually remind you to put stuff down like travel etc.
-
Joe B
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Driving test
I did mine a few months ago and was worried before hand, again like you I had never driven a van. I can assure you it's nothing to worry about just drive safe and steady. I also went out on delivery afterwards. Hope this helps 
-
Wednesday
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Driving test
If you are old like me you will find it very interesting and I thought after being on it everyone should have to do it when they reach a certain age.NOTHING to worry about!
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Driving test
Appreciate the replies guys, my mind is at ease :) gonna be a long old day then!