ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dog bite

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
philbauer81
Posts: 5
Joined: 20 Dec 2011, 17:24
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by philbauer81 »

Had a nasty dog bite on delivery a week ago. Finally the managers have been out to customer today. 7 days later. Disgusted with how slow they have taken to respond.
How do i go about claiming compensation for this? Got 3 teeth marks on my legs. Def pierced the skin.
Any help would be great.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dog bite

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

philbauer81 wrote:Had a nasty dog bite on delivery a week ago. Finally the managers have been out to customer today. 7 days later. Disgusted with how slow they have taken to respond.
How do i go about claiming compensation for this? Got 3 teeth marks on my legs. Def pierced the skin.
Any help would be great.
See your H&S rep and the Union will help.

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=73636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 134/16 - Royal Mail - "Dog Attack Compensation Scheme" & Claim Form
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Dorset Plodder »

All boils down to how good the DOM is. One of our lads was bitten earlier in the week. Next day at WTLL we were ALL told to NOT deliver to that address until further notice. The DOMs got to deliver a letter to the owner first. After checking with the H&S Rep we were told that if a Dog is loose we should ask the owner to put it indoors before we hand over the mail (our guy was bitten through the gate as he handed the mail over) :shock:

I think with Dogs you've just got to use common sense, if the Dog's loose don't go into the garden. I don't believe enough is being done despite all the BS about "National Dog Awareness Week" etc. Too many owners are just bloody idiots that shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.... let alone have children. Hope you recover fully, I always get a bit twitchy around ANY Dogs for a while after I've had a bite. Might be an idea to ask the PHG/Work place coach to put the Local Dog Wardens telephone number onto the PDA, then you can inform him as well. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Pathfinder »

Hope you get better soon, I’ve always had a dog growing up and since being bitten a few times I can’t help but get a nervous at addresses with dogs now mainly because 9/10 owners are absolutely useless and have zero control over them.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I got bit about a month or so ago. It amazed me the length management went through to put me off filling a Erica report out. I didn't see the H/S rep till a couple of days after it happe ed and he told me about the Erica report. So went to he manager saying I want it doing and they came out with. You can only do it within 24 hours of it happening. So I kicked up a fuss. So they changed thier tune and started Saying. The whole process takes 4 hours all together, so I went that's fine. Then they went if you are found at fault you will be conducted.i wasn't at fault I was half way up the drive and the guy opened his front door and the dog had me (dog peg didn't help) lol. He didn't even apologise :arrrghhh.

In the end I didn't even fill it out my wife had a misscarrige a few days later so the bite wasn't important to me no more. I did report the incident to the police though. I don't even think they sent a letter to the address. Just felt like they don't care and they only care about thier figures. Joke of a company. :arrrghhh
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Dorset Plodder »

CPTNemoUK wrote:I got bit about a month or so ago.

In the end I didn't even fill it out my wife had a misscarrige a few days later so the bite wasn't important to me no more. I did report the incident to the police though. I don't even think they sent a letter to the address. Just felt like they don't care and they only care about thier figures. Joke of a company. :arrrghhh

Sorry to hear of your bad news mate. Your post did strike a cord though. I wonder how many incidents slip under the radar because they're not reported, due to one thing and another? I've had a DOM trying his best to discourage me from reporting an Accident before now. I believe it's another "Tick in the Box" towards another element of their Bonuses. :hmmmm He made me LOL as he pointed out a Certificate on his Office wall saying, "We've had an award due to our low level of accidents"! :shock: I replied, "I expect you have had a low level of accidents.... IF YOU DON'T BOTHER REPORTING THEM"! :arrrghhh We truly are managed by a bunch of lying deceitful bastards. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by robbertwhitton »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:I got bit about a month or so ago.

In the end I didn't even fill it out my wife had a misscarrige a few days later so the bite wasn't important to me no more. I did report the incident to the police though. I don't even think they sent a letter to the address. Just felt like they don't care and they only care about thier figures. Joke of a company. :arrrghhh

Sorry to hear of your bad news mate. Your post did strike a cord though. I wonder how many incidents slip under the radar because they're not reported, due to one thing and another? I've had a DOM trying his best to discourage me from reporting an Accident before now. I believe it's another "Tick in the Box" towards another element of their Bonuses. :hmmmm He made me LOL as he pointed out a Certificate on his Office wall saying, "We've had an award due to our low level of accidents"! :shock: I replied, "I expect you have had a low level of accidents.... IF YOU DON'T BOTHER REPORTING THEM"! :arrrghhh We truly are managed by a bunch of lying deceitful bastards. :cuppa
Well said that man,your spot on with that,it’s such a time consuming nightmare and it shouldn’t be,there all full of it with there dog awareness week and health and safety awareness stuff but as ever backed up with very little substance,which sums up how this company has got,we had top management down some years ago to present us with yet another meaningless certificate re accidents reported,I refused to be part of the presentation and told them all what I thought of this farce!
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Chewster »

I had a bad dog bite last winter, a big alsation chased me down the street and gave my arm a god crunch.

As someone said, more really needs to be done about dogs, not just in terms of RM, just in general. I'd be all for bringing back the dog licence because so many dog owners are just clueless/don't care.

How many times have we been told "oh don't worry he's friendly" yeah right enough he looked really friendly when he chased me to my van with his teeth out snarling away at me!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Chewster wrote:I had a bad dog bite last winter, a big alsation chased me down the street and gave my arm a god crunch.

As someone said, more really needs to be done about dogs, not just in terms of RM, just in general. I'd be all for bringing back the dog licence because so many dog owners are just clueless/don't care.

How many times have we been told "oh don't worry he's friendly" yeah right enough he looked really friendly when he chased me to my van with his teeth out snarling away at me!

Yeah I really love that, "He's just being Friendly...... He only wants to say Hello BS"! :sad: I even had one guy ask me, "Do you want to come in and give him a pat so that he gets to know you"? as his Dog was going ape s**t trying to attack me through the gate. I thought yeah right that's not going to happen! :crazy: I reckon they should issue us with pepper spray. Friend of mine works for one of the Power Companies and he said they use them. :thumbup One of their lads walked into a farmyard, had several dogs come charging across the yard at him very aggressively so he blasted them all! The Farmer was really upset about it and he just said, "Well keep your bloody Dogs under control". :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
rocky2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 May 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by rocky2 »

had a dog bite in the past 15 stitches to my face the dom immediately stopped delivery even phoned the police who took a statement from me at a&e
union tried to get compensation but people disappeared. dom was very helpful and compassionate no complaints must have a decent dom?
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Dog bite

Post by bmccoll »

Been bitten Four times as a postie. Once whilst in a tenement as the tenant was bringing her alsatian dog out for a walk at 730 am (yes that long ago!), then when a dog jumped the gate (again the old excuse "he's never done that before") except the gasman had the same experience a few days before! The third was when a dog got out of the garden and went for me in the street. A quick boot in its balls told it what for! The last time I nearly lost the tip of my finger, there is still a numbness about it. It's a peril of the job but I can tell you it is no joke. If there is even the inkling of a dog at large, do not risk it.