ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Thinking of going part time.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deucepost
Posts: 6
Joined: 28 Feb 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by deucepost »

Can I do this?
Sick to death of so called managers and lack of management skills, already pay another employee to do 2 or 3 early starts a week for me.
55 next month 22 years in the job so been about a bit before hand.
Next question is, what else would I lose out on if I go ahead outside of wage drop and pension drop would my 6 weeks holidays be affected? as you can see the less i'm in the office the better it is for all of us :silenced ,delivery is long but have a good rapport with customers,might make it to 60 if I do this and my body can take it.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Thinking of going part time.

Post by Shaders »

Holidays depend on how many days you work.
Go part time over anything less than 5 days then yes it will drop.
I worked part time over 5 days for years but had the same holidays as full timers.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by joewyan »

Holidays you will get the 6 weeks still, it will just be paid at however many hours you drop to a week rather than 39
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by Tomolo208 »

I wouldn't recommend it. Not just financially, but the outcome you are hoping for won't happen.

I've worked in a few offices and part timers are expected to complete the same delivery spans as full timers, but with less hours to complete them in. This will result in more pressure being put on yourself to complete and more confrontation.

Unless you can get an agreed part time duty (with an achievable duty time), then really really don't consider it as a way to make your life easier.
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by realitybites »

A few people have gone down to part time in our office, 25 hours over 3 days.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by wacko74 »

I would recommend it, especially if you hate the indoor work as I always have, can't stand IPSing, double prepping or even just throwing in my own walk!
My legs seem to ache far more doing the indoor work with standing still than they do once I'm out and walking
Much prefer coming in to all my mail being thrown in for me on 30 hours.
seeker019
Posts: 203
Joined: 04 Dec 2007, 16:49
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by seeker019 »

RM used to have a BUY DOWN of HOURS.
Don't give them the satisfaction of doing this for free.
Trust Royal Mail? God help us all.....
djhl
Posts: 52
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 22:36
Gender: Male

Thinking of going part time.

Post by djhl »

I do a three day 24 hour contract (6:30 -14:30ish) Wednesday to Saturday with a rotating "day off". I wouldn't have lasted doing the walk five days a week. I'm 59. Still get my six weeks holiday as I only need 3 days leave to get a week off if that makes sense!

Go for it

Yes, I have experienced more professional management in a varied career but find it bearable!