ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail put inside D2Ds

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I’m part-time and my round is thrown up for me. The bloke that throws it up keeps putting the mail inside the D2Ds and at the back of the D2Ds which is bloody irritating when you’re trying to pull it out.

The double slots are all over the shop and I’m often walking back on myself because the mail isn’t sequenced and the D2Ds are lumped together.

If I throw mail up I put the D2Ds at the back. It just makes life so much easier!!!!

Am I being pernickety or would this piss anyone else off too?
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by ebbzie »

Have you tried asking the bloke who throws it off to put the D2Ds at the back?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by Celgar »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I’m part-time and my round is thrown up for me. The bloke that throws it up keeps putting the mail inside the D2Ds and at the back of the D2Ds which is bloody irritating when you’re trying to pull it out.

The double slots are all over the shop and I’m often walking back on myself because the mail isn’t sequenced and the D2Ds are lumped together.

If I throw mail up I put the D2Ds at the back. It just makes life so much easier!!!!

Am I being pernickety or would this piss anyone else off too?
I would try politely asking the postie that throws your walk up to do it as you suggest. It is standard practice to have the letters in front of the D2Ds and any flats behind them allowing you to do a cursory flick check before pushing them through the letterbox. Hopefully the guy changes his ways unless he has a complete don't care attitude.
You're not being pernickety by thinking this and it is a well known comment if any postie has to pull out mail prepped by someone who doesn't know how to do the job. I have a feeling left handed Postie's might do the job differently so that might be a reason or not.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Thanks for your replies. The Postie in question is a full-timer who has been there for donkey's years. I don't want to speak to him about it if I can help it as I'm a relative newbie but his actions have repercussions on my duty :oops: .
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by wacko74 »

I'm also part time so not siding with whoever preps your duty, but to be fair it must be bloody fiddly and irritating trying to put letters before and flats after D2D's in double slots, especially when you've got 3,4,5 lots of D2D's.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by Judgee »

Could ask him to just bundle them together then leaving them out of the frame. Then take a few at the back of each bundle of letters with you and deliver them as you are going along? :hmmmm

I prep two frames and the guy I work with likes them all put in on the Monday and then just takes them where he is going each day until Friday when he finishes off what's left. Which is an absolute pain in the butt when prepping every day, they really get in the way! :cuppa
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by postslippete »

Maybe he does it that way so that YOU might actually do it??

I'm not saying that you should because full-timers are responsible for prepping everything so that you are supposed to come in and it all be ready. There are many reasons why that might not be the case.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by superports »

You could ask him to prep the d2d's, but not put them in the frame. Leave them as a bundle so you can take what you need, when you need.
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by Ralpho »

Someone preps your D2Ds for you!!
Jammy
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Ralpho wrote:Someone preps your D2Ds for you!!
Jammy
Ralpho, I'm contracted to work 5 hours a day. When I come in I do my redirections, bundle up and go out.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by miles_peters »

our manager throws off the absorption delivery and he puts mail inside the D2D's, its so dumb and lazy, some people just don't use their brain. I just pretend I don't see it, and leave it there.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by bmccoll »

miles_peters wrote:our manager throws off the absorption delivery and he puts mail inside the D2D's, its so dumb and lazy, some people just don't use their brain. I just pretend I don't see it, and leave it there.
That's called Wilful Delay and you could get sacked.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by Mobey »

miles_peters wrote:our manager throws off the absorption delivery and he puts mail inside the D2D's, its so dumb and lazy, some people just don't use their brain. I just pretend I don't see it, and leave it there.
:d'oh!

Posting something like that with what appears to be your name as your username! :shock:
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by NewPostieUK »

peshwaarinaan wrote: Am I being pernickety or would this piss anyone else off too?
I have the same problem and it really pisses me off. The problem is made worse by the fact that more than one person preps my duty, often just someone who got caught with their hands in their pockets.

I'm amazed that senior postmen with many years under their belts have no problem knowingly doing such a bad job. One house gets 4 door to doors, the next just 2. Missorts all over the place, letters upside down, back to front, small items at the back, does my head in.

Another problem is that if the mail is late or it's very busy, they leave some of mine, so that they can get out and finish on time, leaving me to be the one who has to leave lapsing and use the overrunning procedure. They'll leave a tray and not even tell the manager.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Mail put inside D2Ds

Post by miles_peters »

bmccoll wrote:
miles_peters wrote:our manager throws off the absorption delivery and he puts mail inside the D2D's, its so dumb and lazy, some people just don't use their brain. I just pretend I don't see it, and leave it there.
That's called Wilful Delay and you could get sacked.
its not if its hidden from view in a D2D