ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Work shoes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a great pair of shoes that are very comfy and last long? (Black preferably) going from a sit down job of 4 years to this so ideally want to get anything possible to help lol
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Celgar »

Everyone gets on better with different options that RM offer. Personally I just get the Magnum boots. They usually last about six months before the uppers pull away from the soles at the front. This seems to be the weakest point otherwise a pair may last nearly a year. The Doc Martens pinch the back of my feet and I think I tried the Catterpillar ones and didn't get on with those either. I think the trainers are meant to be quite good although they wouldn't be as waterproof as leather footwear. Or you can buy your own footwear and get £30 towards buying a pair of your own choice.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Celgar wrote:Everyone gets on better with different options that RM offer. Personally I just get the Magnum boots. They usually last about six months before the uppers pull away from the soles at the front. This seems to be the weakest point otherwise a pair may last nearly a year. The Doc Martens pinch the back of my feet and I think I tried the Catterpillar ones and didn't get on with those either. I think the trainers are meant to be quite good although they wouldn't be as waterproof as leather footwear. Or you can buy your own footwear and get £30 towards buying a pair of your own choice.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking of getting a pair of trainers designed for walking/running with good heel support as I’ve had some Achilles pain now and again. Gonna have to take an extensive look in town I think. Did you say Royal Mail offer more than one pair of footwear or is it just one generic pair of shoes they offer? Yet to see them.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Work shoes

Post by NewPostieUK »

Why do they have to last long? Just get the manager to order you some new ones when they are worn.

The Magnum Bandera with Michelin soles are excellent.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Work shoes

Post by NewPostieUK »

Just looked and the Magnum Bandera are out of stock, as are the Dr Martens.

With that in mind, I would say that no Royal Mail footwear is suitable for outdoor work.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Rapidryan88 »

NewPostieUK wrote:Just looked and the Magnum Bandera are out of stock, as are the Dr Martens.

With that in mind, I would say that no Royal Mail footwear is suitable for outdoor work.
Thanks for the reply, I’d ideally just like shoes to last longer :) hopefully they get some in stock soon
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by aiden01 »

Celgar wrote:Everyone gets on better with different options that RM offer. Personally I just get the Magnum boots. They usually last about six months before the uppers pull away from the soles at the front. This seems to be the weakest point otherwise a pair may last nearly a year. The Doc Martens pinch the back of my feet and I think I tried the Catterpillar ones and didn't get on with those either. I think the trainers are meant to be quite good although they wouldn't be as waterproof as leather footwear. Or you can buy your own footwear and get £30 towards buying a pair of your own choice.
You only get £30 towards your own choice if you have been diagnosed with a specific foot problem.
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Rapidryan88 »

aiden01 wrote:
Celgar wrote:Everyone gets on better with different options that RM offer. Personally I just get the Magnum boots. They usually last about six months before the uppers pull away from the soles at the front. This seems to be the weakest point otherwise a pair may last nearly a year. The Doc Martens pinch the back of my feet and I think I tried the Catterpillar ones and didn't get on with those either. I think the trainers are meant to be quite good although they wouldn't be as waterproof as leather footwear. Or you can buy your own footwear and get £30 towards buying a pair of your own choice.
You only get £30 towards your own choice if you have been diagnosed with a specific foot problem.
Thank you
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by grandypants »

Soloman walking trainers gore tex fully waterproof well worth the £100 price tag
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Work shoes

Post by twoloops »

I wear the Magnum Bandera on Mondays & Tuesdays & a pair of lightweight Merrell's hiking trainers/shoes the rest of the week, keep the receipt, they are guaranteed for one year, I have returned mine 4 times after 4/5 month, I'm heavy on the heels & get a brand new pair free of charge, your feet will love you. Happy days.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by rubberbond »

grandypants wrote:Soloman walking trainers gore tex fully waterproof well worth the £100 price tag
Don’t you consider this an absolute outrage? That because Royal Mail are unable to provide quality,comfortable and robust footwear for its workforce, despite its massive buying power, you have to fork out £100, and if you’re lucky ,you’ll get a third of the price back. Unbelievable, you can bet your house that if the likes of Sue Whalley and the rest of the “non job hierarchy “, were in our position for a month it would soon change things.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Work shoes

Post by NewPostieUK »

mattycash wrote: lightweight Merrell's hiking trainers/shoes the rest of the week, keep the receipt, they are guaranteed for one year, I have returned mine 4 times after 4/5 month, I'm heavy on the heels & get a brand new pair free of charge,
That's a great idea. I was thinking of getting some Dr Martens with a lifetime warranty, but unsure if they would say that the smooth soles were just wear and tear, and not covered.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by eastie »

Sketchers for me with memory foam , very light only £38 but get £30 back from RM for buying them myself
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by Rapidryan88 »

eastie wrote:Sketchers for me with memory foam , very light only £38 but get £30 back from RM for buying them myself
Thanks for all the replies! My mum has a pair but I struggled to find a men’s pair in town they’re all in the women’s section where did you get yours?
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Work shoes

Post by eastie »

Rapidryan88 wrote:
eastie wrote:Sketchers for me with memory foam , very light only £38 but get £30 back from RM for buying them myself
Thanks for all the replies! My mum has a pair but I struggled to find a men’s pair in town they’re all in the women’s section where did you get yours?
Amazon