ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
I've been paired with a full time buddy whilst I'm only on 25 hours.
Been told to come in every day at 8am (didn't get a choice) and told hours are either:
8.40 to 13.40 - M, Tu, Sa
9.30 to 14.30 - W, Th, Fr
So there's always an element of compulsory overtime.
I've got 6 walks to do... My buddy says he could do them all in 2 hours flat. I'm working flat out and got back today at 14.45... I'm failing to see how anyone expects the 6 walks to be done in under 4 hours, let alone in 2!
I really am trying my best but concentrating on getting the right post through the right door but I appear slow. Although to be fair, I was only 15 minutes over on my rounds on a heavy day with leaflets.
Are there such things as part time rounds, you know, smaller ones that could be done properly by a part timer? Or is it usual to pair a part timer with a full timer whose hours are different.
I'm struggling...really struggling at the moment. I'm trying my best but I just don't feel it's good enough. I walked solidly for 6 hours today and we were the last ones back.
I know I'll get quicker but can't help feeling the odds are stacked against me.
Been told to come in every day at 8am (didn't get a choice) and told hours are either:
8.40 to 13.40 - M, Tu, Sa
9.30 to 14.30 - W, Th, Fr
So there's always an element of compulsory overtime.
I've got 6 walks to do... My buddy says he could do them all in 2 hours flat. I'm working flat out and got back today at 14.45... I'm failing to see how anyone expects the 6 walks to be done in under 4 hours, let alone in 2!
I really am trying my best but concentrating on getting the right post through the right door but I appear slow. Although to be fair, I was only 15 minutes over on my rounds on a heavy day with leaflets.
Are there such things as part time rounds, you know, smaller ones that could be done properly by a part timer? Or is it usual to pair a part timer with a full timer whose hours are different.
I'm struggling...really struggling at the moment. I'm trying my best but I just don't feel it's good enough. I walked solidly for 6 hours today and we were the last ones back.
I know I'll get quicker but can't help feeling the odds are stacked against me.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
There is NO compulsory overtime. Come in at 8.40 & 9.30 if you don't want to work over.
-
Joe B
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
Sounds like you've been paired up with a runner.
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
You only have to work your allocated hours and no more. Overtime is voluntary not compulsory.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
You have been told to come in at 0800. Are you getting paid from 0800 or from 0840/0930 ?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
I've been getting overtime for it so far.Celgar wrote:You have been told to come in at 0800. Are you getting paid from 0800 or from 0840/0930 ?
I need to speak to the Trainer I had with me first week to clarify a few things but they've been away this week, hence my posts.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
Our DO is a rarity in that we don't have any part time staff in the sense of 25 hour duties that seem to be prevalent everywhere else. We have three on four day week but they do four full days including IPS. Walks are all meant to be the same length nowadays although this isn't always the case. I presume the walk is prepped for you them maybe you have to do the redirections and bag the mail up yourself ?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
If they want you to start at 8 they should ask you rather than tell you.
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
Just to clarify, when you say 6 walks, do you mean 6 bags of mail or 6 actual full walks? If it was 6 full walks in my office, you’d be looking at 15+ hours
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
I expect they mean six loops.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
Dont forget your 40 mins meal relief as well
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
6 walks in 15 hours? that's only 2.5 hrs per walk. Post revision walks are meant to be based on 4.5 hrs (although mine is nearly 6 hrs including travelling).Darwinsdad wrote:Just to clarify, when you say 6 walks, do you mean 6 bags of mail or 6 actual full walks? If it was 6 full walks in my office, you’d be looking at 15+ hours
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
2 walks on a van share, 4.5 - 5 hrs outdoor work (supposedly) is what I was getting at.NewPostieUK wrote: 6 walks in 15 hours? that's only 2.5 hrs per walk. Post revision walks are meant to be based on 4.5 hrs (although mine is nearly 6 hrs including travelling).
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
Yep. I come in and do the redirections,throw out some late letters and bag my stuff up. I think I should be calling them loops, not walks... But I still have 6 of them.Celgar wrote:Our DO is a rarity in that we don't have any part time staff in the sense of 25 hour duties that seem to be prevalent everywhere else. We have three on four day week but they do four full days including IPS. Walks are all meant to be the same length nowadays although this isn't always the case. I presume the walk is prepped for you them maybe you have to do the redirections and bag the mail up yourself ?
-
DaisyDoodles
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 22 May 2018, 15:16
- Gender: Female
Full Time rounds and Part Time rounds
I think the proper term, looking at other posts, is Loops. I have a bag for each loop and 2 loops also have a parcels bag as well that I use my walky trolley with.Darwinsdad wrote:Just to clarify, when you say 6 walks, do you mean 6 bags of mail or 6 actual full walks? If it was 6 full walks in my office, you’d be looking at 15+ hours
I also have a fair few hills and long drives to contend with.