This will come as no surprise to those who have broken down and waited for the RAC to come out.
This happened to my wife recently, whilst out on collection. It's 27 miles from her parent office.
The van refused to start, luckily it was parked in a parking space, not double parked, which is rare. This all kicked off at around 17.45.
She phoned the RAC, and was told it'll be at least 90 minutes. Tried phoning the office, no reply. Eventually got through 30 minutes later. Explained the siutation, i.e. live mail on board, including specials. Told to sit tight, wait for RAC.
The RAC came within the 90 minutes quoted ( just ). The man couldn't start it, and the trailer he had wasn't big enough to carry the van. He phoned his HQ, and said they'd send a bigger trailer. This arrived an hour and 40 minutes later. This RAC man diagnosed a duff starter motor, and recovered the van.
They eventually got back at 22.20. Too late for the collection ( and specials ). The mail centre's 40 miles away.
Then there was the argument over the amount of overtime ( she was due off at 19.00 ).
To say the service has been run down is an under statement. I've been in the job long enough to remember that all attempts would be made to get that collection to where it needed to be. Of course, now there aren't the spare vans, and staff aren't interested any more. You can't blame them.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Waiting for RAC
-
GT750rider
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
It's a second rate service compared to having your own staff available dealing solely with company van difficulties. You are thrown in with all the other issues with domestic vehicles, yet another lowering in standards. And in the exxample, to top it off, arguments about claiming overtime while you are stuck waiting for a company that Royal Mail thenselves have contracted!
I personally have had several incidents with punctured tyres, and three hours is the norm. We are told not to attempt changing the tyres yourself and vans don't have spares.
I personally have had several incidents with punctured tyres, and three hours is the norm. We are told not to attempt changing the tyres yourself and vans don't have spares.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
A natural consequence of prioritising shareholder profits and striving for infinite growth. Many corporatised services go this way.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
Wait until you break down in a hire van, phone the RAC on the PDA, only to be told the RAC doesn't cover hire vans.... then the fun really begins.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
Yep as ever it’s a service and system not fit for purpose,that needs addressing,
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
There is a different firm/phone number for hire van breakdowns on the PDA.wacko74 wrote:Wait until you break down in a hire van, phone the RAC on the PDA, only to be told the RAC doesn't cover hire vans.... then the fun really begins.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
Maybe I have been lucky. My van seems to spend more time in the garage than with me on delivery. The last two times it broke down on delivery the RAC arrived in about 45 minutes. It's still a pain in the **** of course but I didn't think that was too bad. Last time it needed a jump start but I knew that was going to happen as the charging circuit had broken and I could not get them to take it to the garage. The time before there was another engine fault and the RAC guy fitted a metal tow bar and towed me back to the delivery office. Ah I remember - that was a strange one - the van would only move in reverse gear!! I contemplated trying to drive back backwards but decided against it. I don't think I got any overtime for either of those incidents.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
It's not just me in my office - it's likely fairly widespread within RM and the TUC recently reported it as a nationwide problem.97gaz wrote:You seem to put up a lot of posts where you mention that you haven't been paid for your efforts. Stop doing stuff for them if it isn't going to Be paid for. We are hourly paid.Celgar wrote:Maybe I have been lucky. My van seems to spend more time in the garage than with me on delivery. The last two times it broke down on delivery the RAC arrived in about 45 minutes. It's still a pain in the **** of course but I didn't think that was too bad. Last time it needed a jump start but I knew that was going to happen as the charging circuit had broken and I could not get them to take it to the garage. The time before there was another engine fault and the RAC guy fitted a metal tow bar and towed me back to the delivery office. Ah I remember - that was a strange one - the van would only move in reverse gear!! I contemplated trying to drive back backwards but decided against it. I don't think I got any overtime for either of those incidents.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Your late today
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Waiting for RAC
Yeah we’re told if we break down and go over hours we don’t get paid as we finish early on Tuesday.Celgar wrote:It's not just me in my office - it's likely fairly widespread within RM and the TUC recently reported it as a nationwide problem.97gaz wrote:You seem to put up a lot of posts where you mention that you haven't been paid for your efforts. Stop doing stuff for them if it isn't going to Be paid for. We are hourly paid.Celgar wrote:Maybe I have been lucky. My van seems to spend more time in the garage than with me on delivery. The last two times it broke down on delivery the RAC arrived in about 45 minutes. It's still a pain in the **** of course but I didn't think that was too bad. Last time it needed a jump start but I knew that was going to happen as the charging circuit had broken and I could not get them to take it to the garage. The time before there was another engine fault and the RAC guy fitted a metal tow bar and towed me back to the delivery office. Ah I remember - that was a strange one - the van would only move in reverse gear!! I contemplated trying to drive back backwards but decided against it. I don't think I got any overtime for either of those incidents.