ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hours messed up! Advice?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chaotic013
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 May 2017, 20:06
Gender: Male

Hours messed up! Advice?

Post by chaotic013 »

Hi
So we had an indoor revision in October, which changed the hours of some duties, so we had a resign.
I signed against a 29.25 hours per week P/T Floater duty, but for whatever reason it was entered into the system as 22.25.
Some time - 6 months! - (and 3 managers) pass, and I've finally been put to 29.25 hours, which no one was against but no one got sorted or apparently looked into properly.
Now the current manager has just discovered that the duty I'm signed to only actually does 24 hours a week, ish.
The duty structure is I do 4 days a week, but 1 week out of 6 weeks I do 5 days. So yes, I don't do 29 hours, which I never really thought about.

So now my manager is saying that since I'm now on 29 hours I can work until 4.20pm.
My issue is that isn't what I signed for, and I don't want to, and mostly can't, work later than the duty's finish time that I'm covering.

Where do I stand with this? As it's not my f**k up that the hours and duty structure were planned how they were.
I obviously understand the company isn't going to pay me those extra hours for free, but I don't appreciate it being dumped on me that I have to do longer days.
Just looking for any advice that some of you more knowledgeable people may have.
Cheers!
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Hours messed up! Advice?

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Hours messed up! Advice?

Post by danterossetti »

I'm guessing manager wont let you come in earlier then.
chaotic013
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 May 2017, 20:06
Gender: Male

Hours messed up! Advice?

Post by chaotic013 »

97gaz wrote:If you don't want to do longer days, you'll have to do more days instead.

Or drop your hours to the 24 you actually work.
Yeah obviously that will be the solution, my main issue right now is he just dumped the news on me, said we'd have a meeting about it and then hasn't been in the office for two days.
danterossetti wrote:I'm guessing manager wont let you come in earlier then.
Again, not even had any chance to ask, not really sure there's anything to pick up in the morning really, it'll just mean a duty is prepped quicker and then no doubt that duty will be expected to achieve more delivery :crazy:

I was just curious about the situation generally where I've signed against a certain number of hours and a duty structure. I'm happy to compromise if it was planned wrong, just don't really know where I stand.