ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Applied for part time but need full time hours
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Hi there, total newbie here. I currently work full time (39 hours) but want to change jobs and have applied for a part time postie job (25 hours). I'm wondering what the chances are that I'd be able to work at least 10 hours overtime a week to make up the hours?
I imagine each office is different but I'd just like to hear your experiences.
Thank you!
I imagine each office is different but I'd just like to hear your experiences.
Thank you!
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Just about every office in RM relies on staff doing overtime , RM would totally collapse without people not working days etc. In my office Thier doesn't seem to be anyone who's not working at least 39 hours.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Don't forget when off you drop down to your basic hours 
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4197
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
In our office it would be very possible to get an extra 10 hours overtime in by 1. working your day off and 2. getting extra hours for coming in early on IPS
But the only problem with dropping hours on a permanent basis is that overtime is not guaranteed and a lot of things for a part timer are still pro rota
But the only problem with dropping hours on a permanent basis is that overtime is not guaranteed and a lot of things for a part timer are still pro rota
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Plenty of 25hr saff do crazy overtime at my office. A few of them regularly take home £600+ (thats take home after all deductions)
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Don't forget if your sick or on annual leave your only get 25 hours paid.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Can you please let me know how they do this without being paid over the 69 hour limit? I do the maximum hours possible and my take home is about £550?number one wrote:Plenty of 25hr saff do crazy overtime at my office. A few of them regularly take home £600+ (thats take home after all deductions)
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
If you NEED to have the full time hours then I would say don’t risk it as you can never guarantee overtime. The offices I have worked have generally been fine with no problem but some weeks can be a struggle. Only take the job if you can still live on the 25 hour wages a week otherwise I wouldn’t risk it.MrBrinks89 wrote:Hi there, total newbie here. I currently work full time (39 hours) but want to change jobs and have applied for a part time postie job (25 hours). I'm wondering what the chances are that I'd be able to work at least 10 hours overtime a week to make up the hours?
I imagine each office is different but I'd just like to hear your experiences.
Thank you!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
What deductions do you have coming out? I am fulltime 39hrs and doing 30hrs overtime I come out with £604joewyan wrote:Can you please let me know how they do this without being paid over the 69 hour limit? I do the maximum hours possible and my take home is about £550?number one wrote:Plenty of 25hr saff do crazy overtime at my office. A few of them regularly take home £600+ (thats take home after all deductions)
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Thank you for your replies. Gives me some insight. If I get an interview I will ask there and I guess they'll be able to give me a good idea of how much overtime i could get on average.
If worst comes to worst I could get another part time job I guess.
If worst comes to worst I could get another part time job I guess.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Applied for part time but need full time hours
A regular 10 hours is quite possible, however I wouldn't expect it within 6 months. It will take time to get good at the job and time to find your own niche without taking other people's regular overtime. If you can, learn the more obscure deliveries and you'll get asked in more often. Also, try for a 4 day week if you can (Wed-Sat is common), this gives you more options for working days off and the longer shift make you more flexible for all the jobs. Say yes to everything if you can and always do a good job so they can rely on you. After a year you can start picking and choosing work you feel more comfortable with (some in our place prefer collections, other early sorting, others extra delivery etc)
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Ask by all means, but don't put too much stock in any answer you're given. You will be interviewed by a DOM or manager, strange species that bend the truth any which way to serve themselves. Quite often they will simply reverse the truth to get what they want....in this instance, filling a vacancy.MrBrinks89 wrote:Thank you for your replies. Gives me some insight. If I get an interview I will ask there and I guess they'll be able to give me a good idea of how much overtime i could get on average.
If worst comes to worst I could get another part time job I guess.
For instance, at my interview I asked about the chances of being offered a full time role eventually. The response I received was positive, effervescent and, as it turns out, complete bullshit. I was told they regularly make people up, but I've since worked with posties who have been there five, six years and not had a sniff of a full time offer.
Good luck, but remember to take every answer you get with a pinch of the proverbial Saxa.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Applied for part time but need full time hours
In the first few months you will be naturally slow as you will need time to adjust your body to the physical challenge of walking for 4-5 or more hours and you will need to learn how to properly do your job.
If you need the overtime money, you will complete your walks and will be paid overtime for exceeding your contractual hours. Don`t forget to book it every day on the absence/pressure overtime sheets or by reporting to your manager in the morning of next day.
In time you will get faster and you will have OT opportunities but if not, don`t worry, you will be paid overtime to complete your round.
Also if you know the area you deliver in or if you learn it fast, you can be offered the afternoon collections opportunity, depending on what system is used for collections in your delivery office or you can cover the callers duty office on Sunday`s or Wednesdays afternoon.
There are always OT opportunities, of course not on a daily basis but they exist for everybody.
If you need the overtime money, you will complete your walks and will be paid overtime for exceeding your contractual hours. Don`t forget to book it every day on the absence/pressure overtime sheets or by reporting to your manager in the morning of next day.
In time you will get faster and you will have OT opportunities but if not, don`t worry, you will be paid overtime to complete your round.
Also if you know the area you deliver in or if you learn it fast, you can be offered the afternoon collections opportunity, depending on what system is used for collections in your delivery office or you can cover the callers duty office on Sunday`s or Wednesdays afternoon.
There are always OT opportunities, of course not on a daily basis but they exist for everybody.
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
All helpfull replies. Thank you.
-
MrBrinks89
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 May 2018, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Applied for part time but need full time hours
Well I've got an interview next Tuesday! I've had a look at interview tips on here - big help!