ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bored management

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by MinTee »

Seems to be that time of the year where the managers are bored and looking at any old reason to pick a fight.

I’m a reserve but I’m covering a duty where I’m on my own past 3 days. Today I finished dead on 12, but had a block of flats I couldn’t access (6 letters, tried twice), a small non tracked parcel I couldn’t deliver as there was a dog hanging round the street with its owner off the lead, and a tiny little Chinese packet I couldn’t post as there was no letterbox on the property (learned that they ask for it to be left in a tiny box round the side of the porch, on the floor!). Everything else delivered, plus absorption obviously.

Now I’m just a bit anxious that I’m going to get in trouble for this, but I’m also sure I’ve done the right thing, not that I received proper training when I started to learn any procedures, I learnt by copying others, bad habits and all I suppose. I was the first back and they saw me come back and just gave me this dirty look.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by hothothot »

If flats are locked then obviously the mail/ packets can't be delivered , not your fault. Don't worry about brain dead management every office has them , probably 99% of offices I'd say. Any dog loose in gardens never go in just bring mail/ packets back. Once you've worked in the business a while you won't give a shite like the rest of us.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Bored management

Post by crazyshrew »

As long as you have endorsed the mail and not just dumped it back in the frame it should be fine.
Just write "no access", "dog loose" or whatever on it so if someone sees it they know why it's there
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

Bored management

Post by seaside »

Wow done at 12, what office are you. I want a transfer.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by centenaryman »

same here seaside....our screws send us back out till finish time of 230 if you "happen" to get back before finish time
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by hothothot »

Yep that happens in our office too. That's why nobody finishes before there time.
MinTee
Posts: 82
Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 15:20
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by MinTee »

centenaryman wrote:same here seaside....our screws send us back out till finish time of 230 if you "happen" to get back before finish time
I’d happily go back out until finish time. I’ve got no problem with that. They had no work for me though, no overtime or anything. It was just abnormally quiet for me
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Bored management

Post by Navalron »

That last statement makes me realise how much the job is f....d. If you want to go back and be saddled up with more crisp for nothing then fire away ffs.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by rambo1 »

MinTee wrote:
centenaryman wrote:same here seaside....our screws send us back out till finish time of 230 if you "happen" to get back before finish time
I’d happily go back out until finish time. I’ve got no problem with that. They had no work for me though, no overtime or anything. It was just abnormally quiet for me
So, you couldn't put rest of weeks d2d together or even other people's so that when it is busy you won't have that to do? Couldn't you have helped the phg locker staff?
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by hothothot »

Finishing early is going to be a thing of the past with PDA actuals , everyone will have to work there hours.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by Sir Henry »

Yeah but if you go over it'll be your fault not the walks length. rM do f**k all unless it benefits them and if it ficks us over that's just gravy.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Bored management

Post by tonytucker »

hothothot wrote:Finishing early is going to be a thing of the past with PDA actuals , everyone will have to work there hours.
Never happen we still go at 11.30 ish and always will
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Bored management

Post by postmanzach »

Wow 12 finish! we finish around 4! We have one runner that gets done by 1. But she has some illness so gets away it’s it but doubt that will last with pda actuals.
Yeah don’t worry about that mail I’d just explain it with manager when get back and write it on the mail, date and sign.
ysbrydtawel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 111
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: South West

Bored management

Post by ysbrydtawel »

Navalron wrote:That last statement makes me realise how much the job is f....d. If you want to go back and be saddled up with more crisp for nothing then fire away ffs.
The job is ****ed because people are happy to work their contracted hours that they're being paid for?
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.