ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trouble getting permanent employment.
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
I have been working with Royal Mail as a Postman since 2014.
The trouble is; I have a Saturday only contract. I am managing to work full time however, but the rest of the week I am being paid on an overtime only basis.
I Keep asking the manager for a full time (albeit 20 hour contract) because at the moment I am not entitled to any holiday pay. If I do take time off, then I don't get paid for it.
I am constantly pushing the manager, but keep getting fobbed off, saying the contract is in the post or he keeps trying to get me a contact. On a couple of occasions he has said the contract is in the post, but nothing materialises.
A couple of days ago, I asked a junior manager if he knew if any news regarding my contract and was told that a 20 hours position had been rejected twice.
I approached the manager a couple of days ago to query this and was told some cock and bull story and he said I will start this Monday on a 20 hour position.
I also asked what my pay rate would be and he didn't know. Why not? He's a manager for god sake!
Am I missing something here? because as far as I am concerned, until I sign a contract, I have not got full employment.
So, why should I go in on Monday presumably from 9 to 2 and of course I will be expected to finish the walk if I don't get done by 2pm.
I HAVE'NT SIGNED A CONTRACT, where is it for me to sign?
I am getting really fed up with being messed around.
It seems to me that my manager is just a compulsive liar!!
In addition, I keep getting told to come in late at 11am to start work because they are short of vans (I tend to go out on my own doing one walk). So I go in, sometimes the work is prepped, sometimes not, and I end up waiting until after midday for a van to return, and then not getting back until 4pm or later.
I am really being taken as a mug! To make things worse, I struggle with depression, am sick of struggling with the job, and don't like the bloody job anyway!
Advice welcome, Thanks.
The trouble is; I have a Saturday only contract. I am managing to work full time however, but the rest of the week I am being paid on an overtime only basis.
I Keep asking the manager for a full time (albeit 20 hour contract) because at the moment I am not entitled to any holiday pay. If I do take time off, then I don't get paid for it.
I am constantly pushing the manager, but keep getting fobbed off, saying the contract is in the post or he keeps trying to get me a contact. On a couple of occasions he has said the contract is in the post, but nothing materialises.
A couple of days ago, I asked a junior manager if he knew if any news regarding my contract and was told that a 20 hours position had been rejected twice.
I approached the manager a couple of days ago to query this and was told some cock and bull story and he said I will start this Monday on a 20 hour position.
I also asked what my pay rate would be and he didn't know. Why not? He's a manager for god sake!
Am I missing something here? because as far as I am concerned, until I sign a contract, I have not got full employment.
So, why should I go in on Monday presumably from 9 to 2 and of course I will be expected to finish the walk if I don't get done by 2pm.
I HAVE'NT SIGNED A CONTRACT, where is it for me to sign?
I am getting really fed up with being messed around.
It seems to me that my manager is just a compulsive liar!!
In addition, I keep getting told to come in late at 11am to start work because they are short of vans (I tend to go out on my own doing one walk). So I go in, sometimes the work is prepped, sometimes not, and I end up waiting until after midday for a van to return, and then not getting back until 4pm or later.
I am really being taken as a mug! To make things worse, I struggle with depression, am sick of struggling with the job, and don't like the bloody job anyway!
Advice welcome, Thanks.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Tell them to stuff their overtime. Just do your contracted hours. Apply for other internally advertised positions. Also look for work elsewhere.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Unfortunately as long as you keep doing it, nothing will change. What does your rep say about all this. I would tell them you are looking for a Mon -Fri job. You are permanent albeit Sat only, but they can't get rid of u. Got to start playing hardball. Company is a joke.
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Thanks for your replies!
Newbie 001 You're right the company is a joke..They couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery!
Newbie 001 You're right the company is a joke..They couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery!
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Ok. What I would do is ring in tomorrow first thing and say sorry I’m only washing to work my contract hours this week and I’ll see you Saturday.
You’ll get a contract the next day most likely
You’ll get a contract the next day most likely
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
... maybe... or maybe they cover stuff with other people doing it on overtime OR maybe hire someone else on a limited contract. Its easy to tell people to just not turn up but we`re not paying their bills and theres no guarantee that not coming in will pay off.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
That's a fair point. It is easy to tell folks to just work to their contract. If I was in that position and concerned about my bills, I would continue to work the overtime expecting to be never offered a better contract whilst looking for other work within Royal Mail and without.
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
To danterossetti...........That's why I continued to work the overtime because I needed a full time postion.
UPDATE: As from today Monday 14th May, I have been given a 25 hour job, which now means of course I am entitled to paid holiday etc.
I would mind, but I never wanted to do the job in the first place....so now i'm F**ked!!!
The only reason I took on the job in the first place is because i suffer from depression, and the exercise does me good. In fact the exercise in one of the few good things about it. There are a lot of decent customers out there. But as for the s**t for brains brigade, I have no time for! I don't suffer fools gladly! And the Dogs drive me bloody mad!!
However the job has more cons than pros!
It doesn't work for me! How anyone can enjoy this job is beyond me..it really is!
UPDATE: As from today Monday 14th May, I have been given a 25 hour job, which now means of course I am entitled to paid holiday etc.
I would mind, but I never wanted to do the job in the first place....so now i'm F**ked!!!
The only reason I took on the job in the first place is because i suffer from depression, and the exercise does me good. In fact the exercise in one of the few good things about it. There are a lot of decent customers out there. But as for the s**t for brains brigade, I have no time for! I don't suffer fools gladly! And the Dogs drive me bloody mad!!
However the job has more cons than pros!
It doesn't work for me! How anyone can enjoy this job is beyond me..it really is!
-
Islander
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
This is the line I totaly agree with, as a part timer i get into work after everyone has left and get back when everyone has gone and yet I still get the same time to do the job.p5aul789 wrote: How anyone can enjoy this job is beyond me..it really is!
When I cant complete and I ring up the posties that are sent out to help make it quite clear they do not want to be there.
I have worked at another office where nobody leaves to do their round untill everyone is ready to leave, and all the part timers are in and ready, much fairer.
There are some good things to the job..... the money ... some of the customers
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
which is understandable, posties are still used to job and finish and go home when theyre done, getting back to the office and being told to go and help someone else doesnt go down too well when someone is expecting theyre about to go home (they shouldnt expect that of course but its well ingrained culture).Islander wrote: When I cant complete and I ring up the posties that are sent out to help make it quite clear they do not want to be there.
But from your point of view, its not your fault, its down to management to make your job achievable in the hours given.
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
I now have permanent employment, albeit 25 hours a week!
As far as I am concerned, it is NOT a proper job, just 25 hours a week!!
I think the job is a joke!
As for the money, if I was full time, I would be earning gross over £500 a week! However, my pro rata pay means that I earn net just under half this amount.
A lousy f**cking job!
As far as I am concerned, it is NOT a proper job, just 25 hours a week!!
I think the job is a joke!
As for the money, if I was full time, I would be earning gross over £500 a week! However, my pro rata pay means that I earn net just under half this amount.
A lousy f**cking job!
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
A little while back my full time partner showed me their full time payslip. I was gobsmacked that their net take home was only little more than a hundred quid more than mine. Six to six thirty starts, all that stress of double prepping with management on your back, having to do the cuttin' off blues/negotiations etc.p5aul789 wrote:I now have permanent employment, albeit 25 hours a week!
As far as I am concerned, it is NOT a proper job, just 25 hours a week!!
I think the job is a joke!
As for the money, if I was full time, I would be earning gross over £500 a week! However, my pro rata pay means that I earn net just under half this amount.
A lousy f**cking job!
All for just a hundred quid more? I think I'll stick to part time and preserve my sanity at that price.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Yes, people forget they have to pay 20% taxes :)) Plus 13% NIN
I`m on 25 hours contract too but I take home more than the full timers if I do more weekly OT, I also pay more taxes...
The only downside is that I don`t get a full timer wage when I`m in holiday...
I`m on 25 hours contract too but I take home more than the full timers if I do more weekly OT, I also pay more taxes...
The only downside is that I don`t get a full timer wage when I`m in holiday...
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Trouble getting permanent employment.
I spoke to my manager today asking him if RM now take on only 25 hour positions?
He said, In East London where I work...Yes. In other parts of the country e.g. South Essex (Southend) etc, they are accepting full time posts. But not where I work!
A crazy situation!
He said, In East London where I work...Yes. In other parts of the country e.g. South Essex (Southend) etc, they are accepting full time posts. But not where I work!
A crazy situation!
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Trouble getting permanent employment.
Our place only takes people on on 30 hour contracts. There are a few on 25 hours, they start at 0930 which is usually after most people have gone out - apart from the poor sod on the van share with them.
RM want to employ people on as few contracted hours as they can - then expect them to do overtime as the job takes longer than the hours. Shameful way to carry on but nothing is done about it.
RM want to employ people on as few contracted hours as they can - then expect them to do overtime as the job takes longer than the hours. Shameful way to carry on but nothing is done about it.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.