ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leave Query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by Ralpho »

Just wondering what the situation is with holiday leave.

I'm in the job just over 4 months and was just told I can't have any holiday leave until late September.

Is this normal? I don't fancy working all summer while the kids are off and then having to sit at home for two weeks in September when they're back at school.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Leave Query

Post by glenfiddich »

Sounds about right as this years leave was allocated. Last October and school holidays are most sought after
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by Ralpho »

Ah right, thanks for that.
Well, who knows I might get a Saturday off before that... Might
mr hil.
Posts: 424
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by mr hil. »

They do have to try and honour any holidays you had booked prior to commencing the job...wink wink...
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by Creditshampoo »

Right so they’re saying al leave us booked up until late September your office sounds a shambles
Ralpho
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by Ralpho »

Creditshampoo wrote:Right so they’re saying al leave us booked up until late September your office sounds a shambles
That's what I was told but it does seem poorly organised - almost 5 months in and I still haven't had a Saturday off, no log in for my Pda, no ID badge, did 5 weeks with no day off and when I queried it I was asked 'do you need a day off?'
matt_1983
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by matt_1983 »

I applied for a Tuesday and Wednesday off for this September and was told theres no space in the book. Having looked through the book theres more or less no spaces for the rest of this year. Also, for some reason our DOM is now in charge of sorting all the annual leave, and locks the leave book in his office most of the time making it very difficult to go and have a look at it. The only time you can look at it is when he’s sat in his office whilst youre looking through, which is a bit odd.

I think its mad a DOM is doing the annual leave anyway, but to also be making it harder to access the leave book is a joke and im not sure of his motivations for doing this.
Costas6969
Posts: 25
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by Costas6969 »

just book your holidays and tell them what dates you will be away for. stand your ground
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

Leave Query

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

mr hil. wrote:They do have to try and honour any holidays you had booked prior to commencing the job...wink wink...
You have to tell them at your interview if you had any pre-booked holidays.