ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Chewster »

We keep being told that "the mail is dropping". I've been a postie 3 years and in that relatively short time I have definitely seen it increase. More advertisements, more leaflets, more catalogues etc etc, but yet they just keep telling you that there's less mail whenever you bring it up, or "it's just a freak day." Seeing an awful lot of so called "freak" days, seems to be at least 5 a week!

In addition to that, I've seen our start times pushed ever so slightly later and indoor work increasing. When I started we were getting out around 8/8.30, now we're lucky if we're out before 9.30, yet still expected to finish at the same time and get to special deliveries (which are also increasing) on time?

Managers also don't seem to understand that a day with less mail doesn't necessarily mean it'll be quicker - if I'm going to a house with 1 letter as opposed to 5 letters, I'm still going to that house :crazy:

It's all very well for our union to be buttering us up with pay deals and what have you but how about actually trying to make the job a bit more balanced and fair??
Robertdeniro
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 20:47
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Robertdeniro »

When they quote figures, the royal mail say 'letter volumes are down' ie envelopes conveniently forgetting leaflets flyers magazines etc..
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by danterossetti »

What matters is your workload mix not just the letters. You're expected to fulfil your contract. Cut the rest off.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by yubin282 »

there so little indoor work at my office that we have 5 guys everyday coming at 4AM to cover the IPS on overtime
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Seymour Buts »

As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.

From my point of view, it's the parcels that have increased. Oversized particularly. It's not just volumes either; virtually everything now needs scanning. There's loads more tracked, virtually everything has a 2d barcode.

Mail might be declining, but packet volumes are increasing and they take so much more time than post
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by number one »

The union haven’t “buttered” you up. I guess you’ll be handing you back pay and pay rise back then?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:The union haven’t “buttered” you up. I guess you’ll be handing you back pay and pay rise back then?
So you want to get rid of collective agreements then. :hmmmm :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by number one »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:The union haven’t “buttered” you up. I guess you’ll be handing you back pay and pay rise back then?
So you want to get rid of collective agreements then. :hmmmm :hmmmm

If people aren’t happy with something and keep going on about it then they should make a stand and not accept it.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Postie45 »

postietom wrote:As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.
DSA
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Seymour Buts »

Postie45 wrote:
postietom wrote:As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.
DSA
Dsa? :hmmmm
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by crimson king »

postietom wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
postietom wrote:As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.
DSA
Dsa? :hmmmm
DOM's Secret Abnormality?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
number one wrote:The union haven’t “buttered” you up. I guess you’ll be handing you back pay and pay rise back then?
So you want to get rid of collective agreements then. :hmmmm :hmmmm

If people aren’t happy with something and keep going on about it then they should make a stand and not accept it.
So the answer is - Yes.

However what mechanism would allow people to do as you suggest.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by cpsteve »

Business mail has dropped a massive amount stamped letters have also gone down but our walks have got bigger and packets have gone through the roof so we are working harder. The reduction to a 38 hour week was a great deal if we all start on time and take our PAID breaks our walks should be at or very close to their max now.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by Postie45 »

postietom wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
postietom wrote:As somebody doing collections I've noticed a drop in the mail that we collect to be honest, boxes when I started that you needed a sack to collect 'coz there was that much in there now have a handful of letters. Some I collect haven't got letters in at all. They're not making this stuff up; letters are declining. There's people of this forum who run the sorting machines will testify to that.
DSA
Dsa? :hmmmm
i mean downstream access, the mail that other companies like TNT, UKMail etc collect from businesses then dump at our doorstep and we have to deliver it (the most unprofitable part of the job). Seems like half our mail is this nowadays, and its mail that wouldnt be seen on collections.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Mail Volumes and Start Times

Post by SpacePhoenix »

cpsteve wrote:Business mail has dropped a massive amount stamped letters have also gone down but our walks have got bigger and packets have gone through the roof so we are working harder. The reduction to a 38 hour week was a great deal if we all start on time and take our PAID breaks our walks should be at or very close to their max now.
eBilling and electronic invoicing will have made a big dent in what we process. Just think a few years ago how your utility bills, statements, etc would have been sent to you in the post. That's traffic that will very likely never come back. We (MCs) can tell that walks are getting bigger over time when sequencing batches have to be split when they hit the maximum number of delivery points per batch.