ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Too much work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Matt123
Posts: 45
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by Matt123 »

The work load is getting to much
I am getting faster but I cannot manage to complete most days without going over and missing my break
i do get paid for it but i dont want to do it , before this I was just working my hours and bringing stuff back but the line maneger and staff took the piss and kept moaning every morning a photo of the work I brought back and conducts against me .
It's ok for these full timers who have been on the same walk for the last so many year and door step their parcels and lob there door to doors in the bin
I do my job properly and I'm in the wrong
The manager is helping me now a bit but a week later it is back as it was .
i really like the job but I'm always rushing and never taking my break , going out on walks I don't know
I go over my time because I'm fed up with all the crap I have to put up with the next day
Or I fear I may lose my job
It's not my fault if there is too much mail can they give me part off a walk or something ?.
Is there any help I can get my rep is useless
Thanks
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Too much work

Post by Interested-seeker »

Matt123 wrote:The work load is getting to much
I am getting faster but I cannot manage to complete most days without going over and missing my break
i do get paid for it but i dont want to do it , before this I was just working my hours and bringing stuff back but the line maneger and staff took the piss and kept moaning every morning a photo of the work I brought back and conducts against me .
It's ok for these full timers who have been on the same walk for the last so many year and door step their parcels and lob there door to doors in the bin
I do my job properly and I'm in the wrong
The manager is helping me now a bit but a week later it is back as it was .
i really like the job but I'm always rushing and never taking my break , going out on walks I don't know
I go over my time because I'm fed up with all the crap I have to put up with the next day
Or I fear I may lose my job
It's not my fault if there is too much mail can they give me part off a walk or something ?.
Is there any help I can get my rep is useless
Thanks
I know the feeling, I am experiencing the same thing! Put on a nightmare round this week and the frame is all over the place. Going over the duty time the past two days, even though I haven't taken any breaks...but the person who usually does it doesn't take his either. I feel like I can't have a break cause of this. Also, I know some people sign for stuff themselves but I never do that...little things like that means I am not as quick as them. I'm knackered now...been working on a duty then collection today with hardly anything to eat - breakfast, banana and raisins.
jaydotz90
Posts: 8
Joined: 25 Dec 2011, 15:38
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by jaydotz90 »

take a break please this is what is ruining RM, do not feel pressurised to complete!! As long as you try your best & dont take the piss I.E waste time RM can not sack you for being slow as everybody is an individual and ask your manager to show you in writing where it states this....
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by rambo1 »

Interested-seeker wrote:
Matt123 wrote:The work load is getting to much
I am getting faster but I cannot manage to complete most days without going over and missing my break
i do get paid for it but i dont want to do it , before this I was just working my hours and bringing stuff back but the line maneger and staff took the piss and kept moaning every morning a photo of the work I brought back and conducts against me .
It's ok for these full timers who have been on the same walk for the last so many year and door step their parcels and lob there door to doors in the bin
I do my job properly and I'm in the wrong
The manager is helping me now a bit but a week later it is back as it was .
i really like the job but I'm always rushing and never taking my break , going out on walks I don't know
I go over my time because I'm fed up with all the crap I have to put up with the next day
Or I fear I may lose my job
It's not my fault if there is too much mail can they give me part off a walk or something ?.
Is there any help I can get my rep is useless
Thanks
I know the feeling, I am experiencing the same thing! Put on a nightmare round this week and the frame is all over the place. Going over the duty time the past two days, even though I haven't taken any breaks...but the person who usually does it doesn't take his either. I feel like I can't have a break cause of this. Also, I know some people sign for stuff themselves but I never do that...little things like that means I am not as quick as them. I'm knackered now...been working on a duty then collection today with hardly anything to eat - breakfast, banana and raisins.
Working on a delivery and then a collection? And then you complain that you're knackered? Kinda brought it on yourself, unless I'm missing something?
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by hothothot »

If you do the job properly, no starting before your time, no running, using trolleys, having your break etc. If you can't do it in your time cut off. Do the job by the book. When it's too busy we cut off, the Dom doesn't like it but tough s**t.
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by postslippete »

This is one the biggest problems in the Royal Mail


If you do a different round everyday working from one duty to another, then, unless you turn up for work over an hour before your start time, forfeit your break and rush round like crazy then you will simply struggle to finish on time.

Its different for me because I stand my ground with the gaffer regarding cutting off but I see so many newbies, who, rather than face any argument or up-setment from the managers, decide to work in the ways I have described above. This is something that really needs looking into. Managers that initially appear to be co-operative and helping out before then turning the screw and making things rather unpleasant.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by hothothot »

Your dead right mate
Matt123
Posts: 45
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by Matt123 »

rambo1 wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Matt123 wrote:The work load is getting to much
I am getting faster but I cannot manage to complete most days without going over and missing my break
i do get paid for it but i dont want to do it , before this I was just working my hours and bringing stuff back but the line maneger and staff took the piss and kept moaning every morning a photo of the work I brought back and conducts against me .
It's ok for these full timers who have been on the same walk for the last so many year and door step their parcels and lob there door to doors in the bin
I do my job properly and I'm in the wrong
The manager is helping me now a bit but a week later it is back as it was .
i really like the job but I'm always rushing and never taking my break , going out on walks I don't know
I go over my time because I'm fed up with all the crap I have to put up with the next day
Or I fear I may lose my job
It's not my fault if there is too much mail can they give me part off a walk or something ?.
Is there any help I can get my rep is useless
Thanks
I know the feeling, I am experiencing the same thing! Put on a nightmare round this week and the frame is all over the place. Going over the duty time the past two days, even though I haven't taken any breaks...but the person who usually does it doesn't take his either. I feel like I can't have a break cause of this. Also, I know some people sign for stuff themselves but I never do that...little things like that means I am not as quick as them. I'm knackered now...been working on a duty then collection today with hardly anything to eat - breakfast, banana and raisins.
Working on a delivery and then a collection? And then you complain that you're knackered? Kinda brought it on yourself, unless I'm missing something?

They then give you all the performance crap
I get the " he can do it "
I'm sick off it
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

Too much work

Post by azza30 »

Listen, if you know you are doing the job right, using trolleys not bags, taking breaks, knocking up neighbours, walking on paths not gardens, not starting early, then follow the cut off procedure. If you are working to rules tell him to check the PDA actual's and show you where you are going wrong and ask him to come out and show you how to do it quicker. If he continues tell him to follow you for a day. Just work as you should. They won't come out, they're all too lazy. A

Never give up your dignity and pride. :evil/mad

As for photo's, tell him what an excellent photographer he is and that maybe he should consider a career change as he's clearly naturally more talented at it.
azza30
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
Gender: Male
Location: Eternal Misery

Too much work

Post by azza30 »

Matt123 wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Matt123 wrote:The work load is getting to much
I am getting faster but I cannot manage to complete most days without going over and missing my break
i do get paid for it but i dont want to do it , before this I was just working my hours and bringing stuff back but the line maneger and staff took the piss and kept moaning every morning a photo of the work I brought back and conducts against me .
It's ok for these full timers who have been on the same walk for the last so many year and door step their parcels and lob there door to doors in the bin
I do my job properly and I'm in the wrong
The manager is helping me now a bit but a week later it is back as it was .
i really like the job but I'm always rushing and never taking my break , going out on walks I don't know
I go over my time because I'm fed up with all the crap I have to put up with the next day
Or I fear I may lose my job
It's not my fault if there is too much mail can they give me part off a walk or something ?.
Is there any help I can get my rep is useless
Thanks
I know the feeling, I am experiencing the same thing! Put on a nightmare round this week and the frame is all over the place. Going over the duty time the past two days, even though I haven't taken any breaks...but the person who usually does it doesn't take his either. I feel like I can't have a break cause of this. Also, I know some people sign for stuff themselves but I never do that...little things like that means I am not as quick as them. I'm knackered now...been working on a duty then collection today with hardly anything to eat - breakfast, banana and raisins.
Working on a delivery and then a collection? And then you complain that you're knackered? Kinda brought it on yourself, unless I'm missing something?

They then give you all the performance crap
I get the " he can do it "
I'm sick off it
If he say's "he can do it "

Just say "well I do the job properly, that's how long it takes. May be they are forgetting some of the rules?"
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Challenge the manager to produce the PDA data ( it can always be used in any bulky / HARRASSMENT ) case
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by Rapidryan88 »

I had a bad one today, yesterday we had to bring a lot back as I’m part time and my colleague isn’t so he was doing both frames and we had so many parcels it was impossible. So today we had even more and had to bring back half the walk. When does this end? Are we bringing stuff back every day until what? Neither of us work over, I’m still struggling to get payment for overtime so am I f**k doing more overtime I won’t be paid for straight away.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by Seymour Buts »

Don't bring stuff back! Tell them as early as possible that you're struggling to complete, they'll then try and fob you off saying something along the lines of speak to me later; which is what you do. Tell them shortly before banding up what you are leaving. You have to give them chance to get the work covered, hence why you leave it behind so they can offer it to somebody on overtime or have the spare take it out which happens at our office sometimes.

I know it can be difficult to judge if you're on a walk you don't know to judge, but if you've stuff got stuff left from yesterday to taks you're obviously going to go over if you take it all. Speak to your partner if they're more experianced and know the walk.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Too much work

Post by Postie45 »

postietom wrote:Don't bring stuff back! ..............hence why you leave it behind so they can offer it to somebody on overtime or have the spare take it out which happens at our office sometimes.
This isnt how its handled in all DO. Sometimes they want you to just take it all and get as much done then bring back and then they give it to OT. I wouldnt recommend telling people to refuse to take out mail with them, its a reasonable request by the manager.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Too much work

Post by BELIAL »

Start time- start.
Finish time - finish.
Meal relief -take it
Grace break-if required
H&s-mandatory
Security of mail - sackable fail
Flexing-optional
Banked hours -management bullshit
Management bullying-standard operating practice.
Bye