ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Returning to Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by HTPostman »

Morning all,

Not sure which section to put this in, so moderators feel free to move it.

Just wondering if I can get your opinions and advice. I worked for Royal Mail from 2009 to 2011, I then accepted a new job which fitted around my music commitments - I was doing a lot of Friday night gigs, sometimes getting in at 2-3am then up for my Saturday shift which was having an effect. I gave the music business a good go (don't do it kids!) but I'm at the age now where I just pick and choose my gigs, it's not a priority anymore.

Anyway, my current job finishes at the end of 2019, my manager is emigrating so it's shutting down. I've started my job search now, I live just outside York and the city seems to be built upon it's visitors so most jobs advertised here are in tourism, retail or hotel...minimum wage, zero hour contracts. But what turns me off these jobs more than anything is a requirement to work over 7 days, including Saturday evenings and Sundays. I help out at my local rugby league club so need Sunday free, which I know I'd get with Royal Mail. And I don't like working Saturday evenings if I can help it.

I've given some thought to returning to Royal Mail. It's difficult to remember what exactly I didn't enjoy about the job...over time like anything you forget the bad bits and look back with rose tinted glasses.

The good from my time at Royal Mail
-Being out in the open
-The pay I thought was fair - I earned a lot more than I do now (£8.40 an hour).
-The conditions - holidays, bank holidays, pay rate, misconduct process, union membership etc were set in stone so I always knew where I stood. With me working in a 2 man business there's no one to turn to if I have a complaint.
-Working with most of my co-workers. There was a good spirit there. For the last 7 years I've worked in an office on my own, my manager comes in for an hour a day, the rest of the time there's no interaction with anyone other than phone calls, most of which are timewasters/cold callers. You start going a bit mad after a while!

The bad
-Getting sent to other delivery offices in the area if they were short of staff.
-My day off always falling on a Tuesday (I averaged about 2 Saturdays off each year aside from holidays)
-Not having a backbone, so I always came in early unpaid and used my car for deliveries. No one else to blame for that but me, it was my first real job since leaving uni and I was wet behind the ears.

I've chatted with a few of my old colleagues who tell me the day off rota is done fairly now, and you work 2 to a van so you don't use your car....in fact you're not allowed to, so they say. They've warned me the rounds are longer but you're not carrying as much weight as you work from a van. They also say the hours are 20-25 a week, overtime isn't regular but that suits me. They say after 12 months employment your wage goes up to £11.20 (ish), that's almost £3 an hour more than I get now and I'd class my current job as more difficult.

Can you give me your advice and thoughts please. Ideally something more constructive than 'don't do it' as I'm trying to get a balanced view. My rule with anything be it jobs, relationships, bands etc is don't go back, but I'm swaying that way with RM. :cool

I'll just add I left my job at Royal Mail on good terms and was told I'd be welcome back. Likewise I'll be leaving this job on good terms too.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by Tomolo208 »

Come back :) future is looking good for part timers. We just had a pay rise and are due a few more over the next couple of years, as they are reducing full time hours (but keeping the same pay)

I love the job, most of the time.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by hothothot »

I've worked for royal mail for 23 years and the job has got tougher over the years, bullying by managers and especially the Dom is common place, but I can only speak for my office. I think the majority of staff seem to dislike the job, you always feel your being pushed to do more work than your capable of, the packets usually are heaving virtually every day. The good thing about the job is the money pretty good now, a decent pension scheme, when your out on delivery it is like being your own boss. The job hasn't changed too much since you were last there. Overall good money, bad management, terrible footwear, tons of d2ds, great lads and lasses you work with. But to be honest I can't wait to retire in 3 years time I'm counting the days lituary.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by clashcityrocker »

I help out at my local rugby league club so need Sunday free, which I know I'd get with Royal Mail.

A lot of new contracts include Sundays if you are in an area where the callers office is open on Sunday.
If they can't cover it on overtime then the newer starts have to do it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by maisymoo04 »

Tomolo208 wrote:Come back :) future is looking good for part timers. We just had a pay rise and are due a few more over the next couple of years, as they are reducing full time hours (but keeping the same pay)

I love the job, most of the time.

and even better for FULL TIMERS :whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by postslippete »

The good news for you is that Royal Mail are really aspiring to be a part-time business. I'm full-time and I know for a fact that they desperately want many of us to cut hours and become part-time because of the planned reduction of indoor workload. They are tending to use employment agencies as well.

RM generally expects flexibility from all its employees, but unlike yesteryear, there isn't any job and finish in your car anymore. Royal Mail wants value for money and they are going to want to know exactly where you are and what time you are finishing. This is great if you only want to work to your time. However, many new staff have problems with the unpredictability of not knowing what duty they are doing and/or finishing late because they didn't want an argument with their manager about finishing on time. That is the worst part.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by Seymour Buts »

Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.

Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.

On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by HTPostman »

Thanks everyone for the replies, lots of interesting stuff there. I know when I worked there the general feeling among the older staff was it's not as good as it used to be - my typical day would be going in at 8am (or earlier if I wanted to try and finish early), to any of 50 rounds as I was on cover, they won't always have been sorted, sometimes I'd then be sent out on starburst. The latest I ever left the office was 11am.

My point being, it can't have got any worse since then, even if it is even busier and no job and finish. Once I was out on delivery I enjoyed the job and looking at my yearly wage slip I was earning £14-15k and had a 2 mile trip to the depot, a good pension too. I compare that with my current job, earning just over £12k and it's an 80 mile round trip now with only the govt workplace pension available. I suppose what I mean is if parts of a job aren't rewarding and managers are difficult to get on with then id rather be paid a half decent rate for it.

Re: working Sundays. I have a lot to weigh up, if I did apply at all:

1. I could try and get a job 5 miles down the road at the York depot, which does have a callers office open on a Sunday. I'm not familiar with York other than the centre so id have to learn the area.

Or

2. I try and get a job at my old depot. It's a 45 mile round trip (but I compare that with 80mile now), not open Sundays, I did every single round while there so know the area like the back of my hand. No doubt I'd have to learn the new systems etc but the streets are still the same so I'm at an advantage. Also looking at google cached results, the last time they've advertised jobs there it's to work 5 days out of Mon-Sat.

Thanks again everyone. I think I've talked myself into returning though I still have at least a year here before I apply.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by mickeymacca »

I wouldn't let the Sunday working sway you, I think that is more likely to be offered on OT than enforced upon a new starter where priority is given to getting the mail out during the week.

Still a great job if you don't compare to it how it used to be, although in some cases it is an improvement; higher pay, better equipment.
If you are young and ambitious I wouldn't recommend RM, but as a lifestyle job with no stress then I would definitely recommend it.

Good Luck
'Libraries gave us power'
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by HTPostman »

mickeymacca wrote: If you are young and ambitious I wouldn't recommend RM, but as a lifestyle job with no stress then I would definitely recommend it.

Good Luck
Cheers, not as ambitious as I once was, settled down a lot and just want a job that pays a fair wage without having to take any pressures of work home with me. Part time hours doesn't bother me so long as the job is relatively secure. Ive a few more of my old postie colleagues to contact but they all tell me similar things to the responses here.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by Postie45 »

whatever you decide, its not like youre going to be held at gunpoint to stick to that decision. Come back if you can, try it out, if you dont like it find something else, not much to lose is there ? Also i strongly recommend option 1, Sundays tend to be covered by someone who actually wants to work that day at the callers office, its a very limited role in terms of how many RM need to do that job, i dont think you should have that sway your decision where to work at all, and its much better to have the 5 mile trip.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by HTPostman »

Quick update for you all - I've provisionally been offered the job of postman at York, as long as I pass the security checks (which I'm sure I will!). Thanks again everyone for the advice, I think I'm making the right move at this stage of my life.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by Seagull1983 »

postietom wrote:Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.

Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.

On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.
How on earth can you earn up to £600 a week on 30 hours ? Even if you worked 8 hours on day off surely that would mean nearer £400 a week. I’m starting next week on 25 hours so I’m new to this.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by DrSatan »

Seagull1983 wrote:
postietom wrote:Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.

Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.

On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.
How on earth can you earn up to £600 a week on 30 hours ? Even if you worked 8 hours on day off surely that would mean nearer £400 a week. I’m starting next week on 25 hours so I’m new to this.
Overtime.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Returning to Royal Mail

Post by Seagull1983 »

DrSatan wrote:
Seagull1983 wrote:
postietom wrote:Do it, if you can. The money is decent for what we do as you've mentioned and you're in the same boat as I was (I assume) in that you can risk the drop in contracted hours because of the pay difference. I started on a 24 hour contract and earnt the same as my old 9-5 job. 3 years later I'm on a 30 hour contract and have signed for my rest day, meaning I'm effectively on a 36 hour contract. I even get paid for my rest day on leave because I've signed for it. I also do afternoon collections; on a good week I can earn 600 quid (ish) which is great for non skilled labour I think.

Many moan, but I suspect it's a because we're a unionised industry and somebody once told me never be content with your terms and conditions because you should always strive for better which is fair enough I guess.

On the negatives: certain offices will only recruit now on flexible contracts, they can include Sundays or even afternoons depending on how they do their collections. I think I probably started at just the right time to be honest.
How on earth can you earn up to £600 a week on 30 hours ? Even if you worked 8 hours on day off surely that would mean nearer £400 a week. I’m starting next week on 25 hours so I’m new to this.
Overtime.
Just my basic maths 38 x 11 = £418. Where does the rest come from ?