ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

9am special deliveries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by Warriorpostie »

Is there a mileage radius from the D.O to the delivery point where 9am SD’s only apply? Get handed a 9am special at 8.45am & have to drive 8 miles to get to the delivery point. Through school traffic also. Got there at 9.20am.
officernopants
Posts: 13
Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 06:48
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by officernopants »

You get a 30 mins Grace on 9am however they don't make this known! You get no grace on 1pm sd's
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Not your fault then,did they tell you to scan it on the pda still or on a card?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by LaggyBand »

officernopants wrote:You get a 30 mins Grace on 9am however they don't make this known! You get no grace on 1pm sd's
Is this real? That makes a massive difference to me
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

9am special deliveries

Post by NewPostieUK »

I think it's a 9am SD not 9.30 am SD.

If I paid for a 9am SD I'd expect it to be delivered before 9am.
officernopants
Posts: 13
Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 06:48
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by officernopants »

Yes it's real, they are still 9am s d but you have 30 minutes grace , they don't make this common knowledge because we would all just deliver at 9:29, don't get me wrong they do want you do deliver before 9,
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by LaggyBand »

officernopants wrote:Yes it's real, they are still 9am s d but you have 30 minutes grace , they don't make this common knowledge because we would all just deliver at 9:29, don't get me wrong they do want you do deliver before 9,
So I’m asking, does it go through on the PDA as a fail if at 9:20 it’s scanned? Would be interested to know
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by sjnb6 »

there must be something in writing regarding this. anybody got a link
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by Celgar »

Warriorpostie wrote:Is there a mileage radius from the D.O to the delivery point where 9am SD’s only apply? Get handed a 9am special at 8.45am & have to drive 8 miles to get to the delivery point. Through school traffic also. Got there at 9.20am.
That's a cock-up on the part of your callers office person or whoever sorts out the SDs. You should be informed as soon as possible after any 9am SDs have been logged in. Then a decision can be made if someone else is going to deliver them for you or maybe you go out and deliver them beforehand while others do the IPS. In the case of part time staff who arrive later I would expect someone else would take their 9am SDs out.
On the subject of a 0930 window for 9am SDs I have never heard mention of that and wouldn't be willing to test if it was alright to do. I might ask our DOM but I suspect it is untrue.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by Warriorpostie »

Celgar wrote:
Warriorpostie wrote:Is there a mileage radius from the D.O to the delivery point where 9am SD’s only apply? Get handed a 9am special at 8.45am & have to drive 8 miles to get to the delivery point. Through school traffic also. Got there at 9.20am.
That's a cock-up on the part of your callers office person or whoever sorts out the SDs. You should be informed as soon as possible after any 9am SDs have been logged in. Then a decision can be made if someone else is going to deliver them for you or maybe you go out and deliver them beforehand while others do the IPS. In the case of part time staff who arrive later I would expect someone else would take their 9am SDs out.
On the subject of a 0930 window for 9am SDs I have never heard mention of that and wouldn't be willing to test if it was alright to do. I might ask our DOM but I suspect it is untrue.
Lorry was in at 7am, I’m sure SD’s were all sorted by 8am, I was only told at 8.45 when I went to collect them at the hatch. DOM was fine about it I just made it my first stop. There was however 2 other postmen passing by the same place half an hour before me so they could have taken it. Lack of communication as usual! I’m pretty sure I was told years back that 9am’s only apply within so many miles from the DO but I could be wrong.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Why don't DOM's send someone out in a van with any 9ams as soon as possible?
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by A2B »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Why don't DOM's send someone out in a van with any 9ams as soon as possible?
Not enough staff/vans?
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by toomuchcoke »

Warriorpostie wrote:There was however 2 other postmen passing by the same place half an hour before me so they could have taken it. Lack of communication as usual!
I recall, many many years ago, the DIMs at the office I was working at making an extra special effort that resulted not only in the 9AM Special arriving after 9AM, but also in it arriving after their normal mail which happened before 9AM! :arrrghhh
Last edited by toomuchcoke on 14 May 2018, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

9am special deliveries

Post by Speedmeister »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Why don't DOM's send someone out in a van with any 9ams as soon as possible?
Lack of organisation and poor management?
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay