ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA's constantly logging off
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Is it just in our area or do peoples PDA's log off 2 or 3 times a day after you scan an item.
Also the PDA's after scanning bleep but doesn't always bring up the details on screen
Also the PDA's after scanning bleep but doesn't always bring up the details on screen
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Nope ours do as well,I don’t think there as good as we were to be believed,they are too sensitive the slightest touch sends it into some programs you don’t want or need,you have to keep logging on there no better than the others
-
Sputters2017
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 08 Aug 2017, 16:12
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Mine done the same today and has done for the last few weeks and you dont know if something has gone thro . Also happened when a customer is waiting . Very embarrassing and unprofessional .
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Pain when that happens!eastie wrote: PDA's after scanning bleep but doesn't always bring up the details on screen
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
They are useless. Shut down in the rain. People lean on the screen and wonder why nothing shows up when thy write. I have also found that sometimes after you obtain a signature, you press done and nothing happens
. Usually happens on specials when you get there at 12:59.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Had this a lot recently,annoying to say the least
Also had the camera app open and then vanish again along with a screen full of apps. I've been issued a new PDA and have a feeling it hasn't been locked properly
Also had the camera app open and then vanish again along with a screen full of apps. I've been issued a new PDA and have a feeling it hasn't been locked properly
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Did we really think they would be any good,much hype about how good they were going to be as usual the tools for the job are sadly lacking,but we’ve been here before I think
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
You're all wrong, now stop whinging and just get on with it...
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2018/04/pdas-progress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2018/04/pdas-progress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone from MRM who does not have a clue wrote:Last month marked one year since we completed the rollout of our Royal Mail PDAs.
There are now 80,000 connected devices in use across the UK and your feedback has been fantastic.
According to you, the new device is far more efficient and is much more flexible than its predecessor. There is an improved battery life, the device is lighter, it can be easily updated and the software used is set up so that developments can be added quickly and easily in the future.
After getting through the busy Christmas period without any issues, we are now looking towards some key developments for the devices in the coming months.
Going forward
The potential of our PDA device is great and we’re working hard on implementing some important changes, which will improve the service we offer. So far, we’ve only scratched the surface.
The new PDAs have made us a more professional and consistent company. They are helping us deliver an even greater quality of service – and will continue to do so in the future.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3345
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
When they were first rolled out they were quick and responsive. Now it takes five seconds for anything to happen and a beep is absolutely not a guarantee that the tracked you just put through the letterbox actually scanned. Is PreCom bogging them down?
The machine stops.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
If someone else logs in using your details (to a different PDA) then it logs you out of the one you're using.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
I have noticed if you scan something and turn the screen off using the power button before it come up on the screen. It will crash every time.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.
The best, and only sugggestion I've got so far from a colleague when it happens is to turn the volume down so you can't hear it.
And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something? What's that all about?
The other screen I get regularly is a list of dummy 01, dummy 02, etc
I'm a bit of a nerd and love gadgets but I really dislike my PDA.
until i log out at the end of the shift.
The best, and only sugggestion I've got so far from a colleague when it happens is to turn the volume down so you can't hear it.
And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something? What's that all about?
The other screen I get regularly is a list of dummy 01, dummy 02, etc
I'm a bit of a nerd and love gadgets but I really dislike my PDA.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
I have had the navigator thingy come up once and couldn't make it go away myself. Had to go back to the DO in the end and ask the callers office guy to remedy it. He could partially shut it down but it continued to tell me audibly for the rest of the duty that I had left my route. I don't know where the volume control is.crimson king wrote:Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.
The best, and only sugggestion I've got so far from a colleague when it happens is to turn the volume down so you can't hear it.
And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something? What's that all about?
The other screen I get regularly is a list of dummy 01, dummy 02, etc
I'm a bit of a nerd and love gadgets but I really dislike my PDA.
The most common 'pop-up' is the incident report screen which p***** me off no end. I think the memo screen is the second most unpopular thing to appear on screen though. Its trying to catch up on incident report though........
The 'dummy' screen is the phone app on the PDA but that is fairly easy to exit.
Probably the most annoying thing about PDA use it continually having to school customers in the use of it and explaining the one point of contact. Often easier just to tell them to use their finger instead but that will make the screen more grimy. I imagine if tested the screens will be germ museums.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Why would you do that unless by accident. The main thing to remember is to wait for the second beep before interacting further with the PDA screen. Otherwise you might think the item has been scanned when it hasn't. This is probably the top reason for items not being scanned and then we get into trouble.CPTNemoUK wrote:I have noticed if you scan something and turn the screen off using the power button before it come up on the screen. It will crash every time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
PDA's constantly logging off
Put it in my pocket to free my hand. Until they answer the door or it frees a hand to write the p739 out. And turning the screen off makes sure it don't press random buttons in my pocket.Celgar wrote:Why would you do that unless by accident. The main thing to remember is to wait for the second beep before interacting further with the PDA screen. Otherwise you might think the item has been scanned when it hasn't. This is probably the top reason for items not being scanned and then we get into trouble.CPTNemoUK wrote:I have noticed if you scan something and turn the screen off using the power button before it come up on the screen. It will crash every time.