Hi All,
I need some good sound advice please for special leave circumstances?
I am getting married early next year taking a two week honeymoon out of the country already booked and payed for.
My manager has been given the dates and has told me that there is no availability to take the time off. We do not have a great relationship to say the least for me to pursue this further with him.
So can I go over his head to his manager explaining my circumstances? I am in the union would they be able to help?
Not going on honeymoon is not an option and I am worried to death if I don't get advice and take the time off regardless RM will sack me or rather he will.
Is this situation classed as special leave?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
-
thewackymonkey
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 13 May 2014, 16:04
- Gender: Male
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
Yes you can go over his head as it's a special occasion, what a dick, get the union involved.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Tim ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
There is no 'special leave' as such but my screw said to me when I was worried about not getting the time off as AL,that as it's classed as a 'special occasion' that I would be guaranteed the time off...as AL tho.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
Better to arrange annual leave weeks off first and then actually book holidays. Or a sneaky way to do it would be to ask someone with higher seniority to book the weeks you want then swap over the weeks at a later date. Just booking holidays then telling the manager you will be off will not likely get a good response.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
I think the dom just being a dick. I got married nearly 2 years ago and needed three weeks off. Spoke to him a good year earlier and he said leave a message on my notice board. When the sheets came out to book my weeks off I put the three weeks down with a message saying wedding next to it. Got them off no problems.
-
postman nel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
Do it I did the same when I worked at Royal Mail when I was refused the day off for my own wedding... Went above his head and got the day off with paythewackymonkey wrote:Hi All,
I need some good sound advice please for special leave circumstances?
I am getting married early next year taking a two week honeymoon out of the country already booked and payed for.
My manager has been given the dates and has told me that there is no availability to take the time off. We do not have a great relationship to say the least for me to pursue this further with him.
So can I go over his head to his manager explaining my circumstances? I am in the union would they be able to help?
Not going on honeymoon is not an option and I am worried to death if I don't get advice and take the time off regardless RM will sack me or rather he will.
Is this situation classed as special leave?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
He's getting married ffs (worst or best day of his life) surely even rm can't refuse that.Celgar wrote:Better to arrange annual leave weeks off first and then actually book holidays. Or a sneaky way to do it would be to ask someone with higher seniority to book the weeks you want then swap over the weeks at a later date. Just booking holidays then telling the manager you will be off will not likely get a good response.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
Found this in a thread from 2017:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... p?id=10661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... p?id=10661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
Family friendly policiesSpacePhoenix wrote:Found this in a thread from 2017:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... p?id=10661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likely reasons for requests of other time off may include any of the following,
although This list is not intended to be exhaustive:
Get in touch with Moya - See latest edition of the courier
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Advice needed please. Taking time off work.
all boils down to ye dim he sounds like a nob when our they ever going to learn ??

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"