ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Booking day off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Islander
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by Islander »

So over two weeks ago I put in a holiday form to have a day off, I put on the form "holiday" ...everywhere else I have worked this is what I would write, and I dont think its got anything to do with anyone why I need a day off. Anyway day was rejected when I asked why manager said you cant have one day off for a holiday no such thing its not as if you are going on holiday for one? He said I could only have a day off during the week if its for an doctors appointment etc as RM dont let you have just a day off.

Surly these are my days off and I can have them for what I want ? I told him I needed the day and would be taking it whatever, he said I needed a good reason or else ! He then said he could move my rest day to cover it ... this as you might guess has not been done.

So the question is what will happen when I dont turn up ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Booking day off

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Islander wrote:
So the question is what will happen when I dont turn up ?

You could be dismissed.

Any employer is allowed to refuse leave requests, as long as they allow you to take your statutory entitlement they have done nothing wrong legally. Morally they have.

As Royal Mail have holiday entitlements of 5 weeks and 1 day (after 15 years) and 4 weeks 3,5 days (after 5 years) of course they allow single days leave.

Your only real option is to get a grievance in and keep pushing it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by number one »

Just go on the sick like everybody else does. “Every sickness is treated as genuine”
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by yellowbelly »

Islander wrote:......... manager said you cant have one day off for a holiday no such thing its not as if you are going on holiday for one? He said I could only have a day off during the week if its for an doctors appointment etc as RM dont let you have just a day off.......
Typical double standards - they'll state that they'll give you a day off if your day off falls on a BH but they'll turn round and say you can't have that day off
in lieu as a single day off when you want it.....you couldn't make it up......that's why I always demand the OT instead now.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by Creditshampoo »

Are you owed days from last year?
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Booking day off

Post by General Mannerheim »

Two weeks notice you gave them are you nuts?
Everybody knows you have to give them an ice age notice and even then they will probably say feck off! :cuppa
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
postslippete
Posts: 4197
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by postslippete »

It's obvious to me but if someone puts in a request for a day off and it gets immediately refused, then the obvious thing to do NEXT TIME is to ring in sick.

I don't think staff wanting their time off when they want them should be such a big problem as a minimum period of notice is given so that the company can arrange suitable cover. Theres no question that good management of staff leave can go a long way towards preventing unplanned absences and improving overall employee engagement - so I agree with blue, in spite of how you feel don't go on sick THIS TIME, but file a grievance and let your feelings be known and you will know what to do in FUTURE if getting just one day off proves to be such a chore.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by Celgar »

Islander wrote:So over two weeks ago I put in a holiday form to have a day off, I put on the form "holiday" ...everywhere else I have worked this is what I would write, and I dont think its got anything to do with anyone why I need a day off. Anyway day was rejected when I asked why manager said you cant have one day off for a holiday no such thing its not as if you are going on holiday for one? He said I could only have a day off during the week if its for an doctors appointment etc as RM dont let you have just a day off.

Surly these are my days off and I can have them for what I want ? I told him I needed the day and would be taking it whatever, he said I needed a good reason or else ! He then said he could move my rest day to cover it ... this as you might guess has not been done.

So the question is what will happen when I dont turn up ?
Duty times for each day of the week differ somewhat as some days are busier than others. So now your holiday allocation is based on XXX amount of hours rather than up to 30 days of annual leave. So if you want to book one day and that day is available you can now do it. Previously RM preferred posties to book whole weeks. Your manager needs to go for training in communication and stop making stupid remarks.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
postman nel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by postman nel »

When I worked at Royal Mail I asked for a Saturday off for me getting married only to be refused because the wedding was late afternoon and would of finished hours before (pre van share) ...needless to say I went above him and spoke to the area manager who overruled him eventually I was give authority to have the day off :arrrghhh
Islander
Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
Gender: Male

Booking day off

Post by Islander »

Creditshampoo wrote:Are you owed days from last year?
Yes I am owed two days

So I pestered another manager as I am moved section to section each day/week and he has moved my rest day to the day I wanted off so its now ok. but I do find this an odd place to work everywhere else I have worked as long as I gave some notice most days were given.

So its sick from now on when I want a day off