ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saturday every 6th week ????

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi guys

I am a reserve/rest day/annual leave/sick day cover. I used to have a rotating day off each week however it’s now changed & i only know 1/2 weeks in advance what day I’m having off.

The reason for my post, is to ask you guys if I’m entitled to a day off on a Saturday every 6th week.
The last Saturday I had off was 24th March so am I in my right to mention this to the Dom fir next week should be a Saturday???

Thanks guys

Hope your all enjoying the sunshine :-))
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by lala »

Could be wrong but I think with reserves it's a classic on average every 6 weeks.

So you may go 10 weeks without but then 2 in a row.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by worktotime »

does your office run 1 in 4 or 1 in 6 ? but no mater what it is your entitled to get what everyone else gets as it was part of an agreement ,
Burghboy
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2013, 09:19
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Burghboy »

Surely if your a reserve you should get to pick a duty in seniority order from the duties available? This is what happens in our gaff and you pick 2 weeks in advance. I just pick one of the duties with Sat day off if there is usually any left it's the not so good duties by the time it's my pick..
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Celgar »

We usually have duty sheets on the wall for the next six weeks and occasionally for longer. So unless someone goes sick we all know what we are doing. If you are a reserve and are not getting any Saturdays off mention it to your rep/DOM and then you will likely get more Saturdays off if you are not on a rota.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by yellowbelly »

Blimey, there are some well run offices in the posts above.

6 weeks worth of duties on the board? We're lucky if next weeks are up on the board by Friday.
Mention it to the DOM/rep and you'll get more Saturdays off??!! Dream on....
You're entitled to 1 in 6 off as it's in the agreement? - I think the get out clause/term I've seen used is 1 in 6 is an 'aspiration'!
Reserve seniority for pick of the duties - never heard of it!!
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Pathfinder »

Our office only the duty holders get 1/6 Saturdays off, if you’re anything else you got no chance.
Pongo Waring
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 21:22
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Pongo Waring »

I,m rest day cover and I get rotating days off with every 6th Saturday off. Before that I was holiday/sick cover and I had to have the same days off as the person I was covering for. This meant I was getting rare Saturdays and I only had 3 long weekends in over 3 years. Its totally unfair but try asking someone to switch and give up a Saturday off.............no chance. :no no :no no
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Sir Henry »

I'm in the same boat, although entitled to the equivalent of one in six I get lumped with the day off due on whatever duty I am cover. Except if it's a Saturday and then they change it and don't tell you. The whole process is f****d up, open to abuse and won't be sorted any time soon due to the lack of political will.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by nickbsmooth »

I get every 6th Week off so every 6th Saturday.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Creditshampoo »

You’re supposed to be allowed a rotating day off. All job advertisements state this, grievance it
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by Alexei »

I've fortunately rarely been in the position, but it's very unfair. Most times the posties in our office get hit with "operational requirements" or "you're a reserve, you don't get a saturday", or "it will even out over a year"... All rubbish!

Even if a reserve lands on a duty which has a saturday off for that week, the DOM usually changes it to another day (typically Tuesday) to suit his staffing requirements.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by korky »

Alexei wrote:the DOM usually changes it to another day (typically Tuesday)
i'm amazed nobody challenges this, on our working week, having a tues off is a 40hr15m week (FT) by the end of the 6th week it averages 39hrs if on fixed day off rotation,
if, like you say " typically tuesday " for a reserve, 6 consecutive would lead to them working 7hrs15 for free without really noticing,
i doubt anyone is unlucky enough to be randomly picked to get 6 on the spin, but even 3 or 4 within the 6 will probably still lead to working free stealth hours,
it's about time RM and the CWU reps started to come up with a fair system for our reserves
postmail3
Posts: 13
Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
Gender: Female

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by postmail3 »

I'm a reserve this is my 10th week in the job other than my first week I haven't had a Saturday off it seems to be Tuesday one week Friday the next...ive swapped walks from next week and have Monday off!!! I'm 100% positive the only week I'd get a Saturday off is when I'm on holiday!!
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Saturday every 6th week ????

Post by joewyan »

postmail3 wrote:I'm a reserve this is my 10th week in the job other than my first week I haven't had a Saturday off it seems to be Tuesday one week Friday the next...ive swapped walks from next week and have Monday off!!! I'm 100% positive the only week I'd get a Saturday off is when I'm on holiday!!
To be honest if it’s only your 10th week I wouldn’t be worried. As a reserve you are only expected to have one the equivalent of 1 every 6 weeks so you aren’t due to have had 2 until you’ve worked 12 weeks anyway.