ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Term time only working
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
I am not aware of term time working going to grandparent level unless there are jusifiable reasons for the request.Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
The term time working if agreed includes the banking of hours you have worked and not claimed to support the time off that your require.
On reading your post I am assuming that you are not requiring the full 6 weeks summer holiday but wish to take your annual leave on a continuous basis within the band of the summer school holiday break and this could prove difficult.
Although lapsing is predominant at this time due to volumes decline but their will be a ceiling on the amount of staff that can be off and colleagues with children will have applications for annual leave within these dates and DOM still has an operation to run.
You have not mentioned your contracted hours and the days you work and this would have a bearing on your term time off request but under the 4 pillars agreement P/T staff are supposed to receive variation of contracts to refelect actual hours being worked.
If you are a union member I would suggest you put your first line of enquirey through your union rep as nothing ventured nothing gained.
Christmas pressure weeks are taboo for leave requests.
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
I am on 25 hours a week.
If I am not eligible for term time only then I will just take unpaid leave. Either way I wont let royal mail change the way I take my holidays. My family time is my family time and that's that
If I am not eligible for term time only then I will just take unpaid leave. Either way I wont let royal mail change the way I take my holidays. My family time is my family time and that's that
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
Family is more important than royal mail
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Apply for term time working if it suits youCostas6969 wrote:Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
That's just nonsensical, I agree family is more important, but if they can't/won't ,meet your requirements,then surely you should ,albeit regrettably,leave. Why on earth would you want to be sacked?Costas6969 wrote:Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.Creditshampoo wrote:No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Take it you are single.rambo1 wrote:Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.Creditshampoo wrote:No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
rambo1 wrote:Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.Creditshampoo wrote:No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Excuse me?Creditshampoo wrote:No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.joewyan wrote:I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
Why am I selfish for thinking I have the same rights as someone who has CHOSEN to have children? If I want a specific week off I should have exactly the same right. If someone needs all school holidays off then maybe they should be allowed as unpaid but not instead of other people being able to have time off, there are jobs out there that are term time only.
Incidentally I virtually always avoid school holidays when choosing my leave but do think I should have the same choice as someone who has made the life choice to have children.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
Who's going to pay your old age pension and assorted benefits,if not future generations?
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Term time only working
I have nothing wrong with children, just the expectation of working parents that they should have more rights than non parents.rubberbond wrote:Who's going to pay your old age pension and assorted benefits,if not future generations?